Corsair Obsidian 550d?

FWIW, spoke with newegg.ca on the phone now (forgot to order something, too late for it to be added to order, ah well...) the lady said that the 550d order is being scanned in the warehouse now, which means it is in stock and will ship within '24-48 hours'

i used interac online. I've found that 'instant' payments ship faster as there's not CC delay potential, and are more convenient, FWIW.

I prefer CC for one very good reason -- the ability to chargeback. After a few bad deals with supposedly honest vendors I have had to resort to chargebacks twice.

This is my first order from NewEgg in almost 8 months. They tried to screw me out of a motherboard RMA and keep the board because "the wrong item was returned"; That was a case complicated by the P67 B2/B3 recall and it took almost a month for me to have the RMA denied then approved and refunded.

A few weeks later they shipped me a PSU with a RMA label from another customer's order when I ordered a new PSU. They tried to ignore me for quite a while. Embarrassing them on their own Facebook page eventually resolved the issue but they did almost become my third chargeback during that incident.

The only reason I'm ordering this with NewEgg is because they got it first and they have a $20 MIR (I consider it icing on the cake). If NewEgg's going to give me another rotten egg experience and delay this shipment and they refuse to cancel the order because it is in "packaging" (if it comes to that of course) then I know I'll have the ability to chargeback and take my money to Amazon.

FWIW, spoke with newegg.ca on the phone now (forgot to order something, too late for it to be added to order, ah well...) the lady said that the 550d order is being scanned in the warehouse now, which means it is in stock and will ship within '24-48 hours'

This is great news. Time to get off my anti-NewEgg soapbox until the 550D arrives and we see how it is.

I just checked my order status on NewEgg, and the 550D is showing shipped! I must have just caught it as it changed, b/c there's no tracking number yet, and no e'mail confirming the change in status.

So, I'm not quite counting that chicken yet, but it's looking like a promising hatch!

I've received my tracking number. Looks like it's actually here.

Ordered mine this morning, and I must say I was suprised that it was in stock at Newegg considering what the Corsair rep had stated before about its availability. I must say that the styling of this case is not what I usually go for as I generally like the more aggressive styling but perhaps change is good. Anyone going to try to install three video cards into their 550D or is the case's design too compact to allow for this?

Ordered mine this morning, and I must say I was suprised that it was in stock at Newegg considering what the Corsair rep had stated before about its availability. I must say that the styling of this case is not what I usually go for as I generally like the more aggressive styling but perhaps change is good. Anyone going to try to install three video cards into their 550D or is the case's design too compact to allow for this?

You could do this quite easily, but I'd use the side panel fans for additional cooling if you did so. The 500R can do this stock, but the beauty of the 550D is that it allows the flexibility for high airflow or silent running modes. Pretty cool design, really.

For those that ordered when the case first came out, you will likely not qualify for the rebate. Your order date will be on Mar. 1, because it came out Mar. 1 pacific time. The rebate starts Mar. 2, so your invoice will show you ordered it Mar 1.

At least, that's what the Corsair chat said.

Thanks for the quick response Redbeard. The 550D seems to be a great fit price/feature wise between the 650D and the 300R.

$20 at NewEgg.ca? :( Poopy..
Guess I will wait for NCIX to get it, and see if they have some good prices.

Some idiot has already rated the 550D at NewEgg. There is obviously no way he's bought the case and tried it out. I'll go out on a limb, be a troll, and suggest we all vote his review down as not helpful.

For those that ordered when the case first came out, you will likely not qualify for the rebate. Your order date will be on Mar. 1, because it came out Mar. 1 pacific time. The rebate starts Mar. 2, so your invoice will show you ordered it Mar 1.

What the hell? My invoice clearly says 3/2/2012. Oh wait...you mean it was available for purchase sometime earlier than 3AM? NewEgg advertised the rebate at the time...if a technicality screws people out of a rebate I expect NewEgg to take the hit and refund $20 :D.

Some idiot has already rated the 550D at NewEgg. There is obviously no way he's bought the case and tried it out. I'll go out on a limb, be a troll, and suggest we all vote his review down as not helpful.

What the hell? My invoice clearly says 3/2/2012. Oh wait...you mean it was available for purchase sometime earlier than 3AM? NewEgg advertised the rebate at the time...if a technicality screws people out of a rebate I expect NewEgg to take the hit and refund $20 :D.

Well, my invoice date is Mar 2, but my order date is Mar 1 (I ordered the case at around 12:30 Mar 2, EST, which is somewhere around 10:30 Mar 1, PST for Newegg's time). I asked Corsair rebate via Live Chat whether they'd go by the order or the invoice date, and they told me order date. :(

Well, my invoice date is Mar 2, but my order date is Mar 1 (I ordered the case at around 12:30 Mar 2, EST, which is somewhere around 10:30 Mar 1, PST for Newegg's time). I asked Corsair rebate via Live Chat whether they'd go by the order or the invoice date, and they told me order date. :(

Wow that is LOW. I hope NewEgg or Corsair can fix that for you. This feels like one of those unintentional screw ups borne from a corner case on time zones and release date.

I've had nothing but great experiences with Corsair, so I have full confidence that they'll fix the situation. Just trying to bring some attention to it!

Any thoughts on upgrading the 120mm case fans? I need to buy two more case fans to take care of both my main rig and my fileserver. Right now I'm thinking about (1) running the stock Corsair 550D fans at 5-7V, (2) buying two Noctua NF-P12's, or (3) trying out the Gentle Typhoon AP-13's. I've read a few reports about the AP's not working well when set to anything other than 12V.

Last edited:
yay :D Woken up to some good news today! Now...if only Amazon gets it quickly so they can send it to me here!

Welps. Newegg said I'm screwed and Corsair said I'm screwed. Those who ordered before midnight of Mar. 2 PST time, it doesn't look like you're eligible for the rebate.

That's gotta be the dumbest thing i've heard regarding the MIR.

I hope corsair takes care of folks that had this issue, somehow. They simple need to coordinate this with thier MIR house... isn't it corsair that sets up the god-awful MIR in the first place? or would it be the e-tailer?

I'm going to send in the rebate anyway and see if it sticks. Maybe that one Corsair Live Chat rep didn't know the difference between order date and invoice date. Never hurts to try!

I'm not really complaining, b/c I'm not in a position that $20 is a huge deal for me (though I'm not so far away from that position that I begrudge those who are complaining), but it does seem odd to make the case available on the 1st, and then offer a rebate for the 2nd on... it's as if they're rewarding those who waited, rather than those on the bleeding edge of purchasing.

Haha, I'm the only one complaining! It's not a major deal to me...I can live without 20...but it feels kind cheap that I "missed" out on a rebate because of the time zone difference (I ordered at 12:30 Mar. 2 EST). I'll probably still buy Corsair products, so maybe they can smell my dedication and don't care. XD

Haha, I'm the only one complaining! It's not a major deal to me...I can live without 20...but it feels kind cheap that I "missed" out on a rebate because of the time zone difference (I ordered at 12:30 Mar. 2 EST). I'll probably still buy Corsair products, so maybe they can smell my dedication and don't care. XD

I went into a car dealership recently with that sort of dedication. Never a good idea. ;)

You have a legitimate case with the time zone difference. I ordered mine at around 10:30pm CST, which would have been 8:30pm PST, so my case would be a little weaker were I to want to pursue the $20 (which I really don't care to). If you do, I wish you luck!

As far as I know we don't have any sort of live chat - are you referring to the rebate company?

Same here.

Moving my present build from a 7 year old case to the 550D. I have a new set of fans, fan controller, Corsair USB 3 -> 2 converter, blu-ray writer and removable drive bays, all sitting idle and waiting for the new case to turn up at my doorsteps on Monday.

I picked the 550D for the exact reason Corsair is positioning for the case - quiet operation in winter, additional ventilation in summer. I have 2x 140mm fans (bottom and rear) running at all times. 4x 120mm fans in the front and top will draw in and exhaust more air whenever I need the extra cooling.

Blue

At least, that's what the Corsair chat said.

You might not get the rebate anyway, even if you follow everything to the letter. Sent my stuff off to Corsair for a $10 rebate on a 400R case, and the tracking says they haven't even received the documentation.

Sent a rebate in for a Gigabyte mobo the same exact day, and I already have my prepaid card in hand.

You might not get the rebate anyway, even if you follow everything to the letter. Sent my stuff off to Corsair for a $10 rebate on a 400R case, and the tracking says they haven't even received the documentation.

I've only filed for a handful of rebates...never been denied yet. Well, there was one time but that was a NewEgg error (something about wrong dates being listed for the rebate on their downloadable rebate form) and they gave me a partial refund for it. Keep copies, send the documentation via cheapest method that confirms delivery, ???, profit!

Yeah, that's the problem with a small rebate like $10. If you start chewing up money with delivery confirmation, etc., then it is a case of diminishing returns.

I've got copies of everything, but there was only one "original" UPC. I've had good luck with Corsair on rebates for memory in the past, but this doesn't look good on the 400R case rebate.

Yeah, that's the problem with a small rebate like $10. If you start chewing up money with delivery confirmation, etc., then it is a case of diminishing returns.

I've got copies of everything, but there was only one "original" UPC. I've had good luck with Corsair on rebates for memory in the past, but this doesn't look good on the 400R case rebate.

Sadly yes, the cost of sending it via registered/priority mail does eat into the rebate a bit. Usually I don't bother with small rebates like that -- I simply do not factor in the rebate when making a purchasing decision. For a $20 MIR (that I consider a bonus anyway) spending $5 to ensure they cannot deny its arrival makes sense. $10 isn't worth your time and they know it.

Good luck on your rebate.

On a related note, why in the hell does it cost $5 to get some sort of proof the USPS did their job when a standard letter costs $0.45 to send?

On a related note, why in the hell does it cost $5 to get some sort of proof the USPS did their job when a standard letter costs $0.45 to send?

Because you are not insuring that USPS did their job as much as you are insuring that the person on the other end of the transaction actually received the letter.

While I agree that $5 is a ridiculous amount for this service, it is still very valuable for something like legal documents. I have been a landlord in the past and let me tell ya, that $5 can save you ALOT of money and headaches when the tennant says that they did not receive a 30 days notice to move out.

anyone got actualy tracking information yet, as opposed to just a tracking number with no info?

Mine has already left California and is in transit to the next UPS depot (apparently Louisville, KY) before heading north. Still on track for a delivery this Wednesday.

mine is "out for delivery" should have it tonight. UPS comes by my house sometimes as late as 9pm.

Back