Corsair Obsidian 550d?

Redbeard / 550D owners: do you know the steel thickness of the 550D?

Been wanting to find the answer to this one too and unfortunately nobody's responded, hopefully next week I'll have my case and I'll post the measurements.

I have mine on a small shelf from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...maid shelf&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202818475)

First, it removes it from the carpet where God knows how much dust/allergens/particles are trapped, and secondly, it makes it easy to slide out... I came across this with the P180 series because I noticed the use of silicone/rubber feet made it a pain to move the case out from underneath the desk without lifting the entire case as it would not slide on the carpet.

Plus, it's $5, comes in three colors, and just makes things plain simple and easy.

Thanks bro! Here's the pics I promised...

Side.jpg

rear.jpg

angle.jpg

There's a bit of clearance around the P280 (550D got here today!) so I'm sure that'll help w/ dust too. It's much easier to move around now and generally just looks cooler. :)

I'm so going to build one, though I'll probably cut a hole in the bottom for the psu

Been wanting to find the answer to this one too and unfortunately nobody's responded, hopefully next week I'll have my case and I'll post the measurements.

Not ignoring you guys - been kind of busy and didn't get an email response yet from engineering with the spec. Will respond as soon as I can.

I have been hard on you guys in the past for previous cases such as the 650D that came close, but clearly someone listened. The 550D is the best case I've ever owned. The only issue I "thought" I had was the back side where the cables didn't have as much clearance as I'd like. But the side panel snapped on w/ almost no pressure on my part.

The case arrived w/ no damage, except a small reverse y carved into the door foam, lol. The side panel's aren't perfect, but they're VERY close and I'd of never noticed if I hadn't seen the pictures.

The case is noticeably quieter than the P280. Probably a result of the oversized foam, pushed back fans, rubber gromits for the fans, door that actually closes, front foam on front fans, etc. It looks amazingly better as well. It was a bit harder to work w/ putting the PC together, but IMO, worth it for the noise trade off. I've yet to check temps, but idle looks a touch higher than P280.

Here's the pics!

As you can see, no shipping issues. Case arrived in perfect shape. There were no issues w/ the actual case either. Nothing like what I've seen in some of these pics!
side.jpg

side1.jpg

rear.jpg

front.jpg

inside.jpg

Here's some comparisons w/ the Antec P280.

It's a bit smaller, always a welcome attribute. :D
P280vs550Dside.jpg

Wow, it looks a lot better! The silver panel's nowhere near as gaudy as the pictures. I'm fine w/ it. The power light is a subtle white!
P280vs550Dfront.jpg

P280vs550Ddoor.jpg

Definetly more airflow in the back of the P280, but surely causes more noise. A tradeoff.
P280vs550Drear.jpg

The big failure of the Antec P280.
P280vs550Dtop.jpg

The only issue, haha!
awe.jpg

Wow...that's A LOT thicker than the P280's lame dampening.
550Dthickfoam.jpg

Finally, the insides of them. These cases, more than any other's I've used before are cake to look good. There's a big difference in quality and ease of use compared to my previous Fractal Design Define R3. Little things like the gromits always falling off on the Define, just didn't happen w/ these. All three are nice cases. The Define is cheap, the Antec cools better, and the Corsair is quiet. FWIW, I'm using 4 SFLEX E's @ 1200 RPM.

Antec P280
P280inside.jpg

Corsair 550D
550Dinside.jpg

Feel free to fire off any q's.

I do not. :/

Are you asking how thick the panel is w/ or wo/ the foam? They're not very thick, but the foam is substantial.

Just ran a 5 minute LinX w/ AVX test using 12288MB RAM to test temps between 550D and P280. Overall, P280 wins, but not by too much. HDD temps seem quite a bit warmer though, the SSD and another cage sit by it now...the WD Blue sat alone in the P280.

AntecP280vsCorsair550DLinxAVX12288MBi72600KdefaultonAsusP8Z68VProGen3.jpg

Just tried a little Dirt 3, GPU temps up 4~6 from the P280. It's quieter, but definitely not as cool.

A side intake fan, or even a bottom intake if you have a hard floor, is going to make a huge difference. Noise really does not increase that much in exchange for awesome cooling.

Thanks, I might try the bottom fan. Temps on the Galaxy GTX 580 3 fan hit about 78C @ 900Mhz/1.1V @ 56% fan speed. To be honest, I spent more time in Dirt 3 than on the P280, so that might have had some impact too.

The overall noise floor is down, aesthetics are much improved, and the white LED is sweet, lol! I'm more than happy w/ the case. I can always play around w/ airflow if I need to later. Right now, I'm ok w/ temps.

@Redbeard: Can one mount a 200mm Antec Big Boy on the side?

Does the Antec have standard 200mm mounting holes? If so, yes. If not, no. Might want to consider the Bitfenix Spectre Pro -- I'm extremely happy with mine running at 7V.

The width of the perforation on the side. If one would mount two 140's on the side, is there still open mesh besides them?

Yes, there will be a little but not much. The fan filter pretty much takes care of that concern though.

I have been hard on you guys in the past for previous cases such as the 650D that came close, but clearly someone listened. The 550D is the best case I've ever owned. The only issue I "thought" I had was the back side where the cables didn't have as much clearance as I'd like. But the side panel snapped on w/ almost no pressure on my part.

The case arrived w/ no damage, except a small reverse y carved into the door foam, lol. The side panel's aren't perfect, but they're VERY close and I'd of never noticed if I hadn't seen the pictures.

The case is noticeably quieter than the P280. Probably a result of the oversized foam, pushed back fans, rubber gromits for the fans, door that actually closes, front foam on front fans, etc. It looks amazingly better as well. It was a bit harder to work w/ putting the PC together, but IMO, worth it for the noise trade off. I've yet to check temps, but idle looks a touch higher than P280.

Here's the pics!

As you can see, no shipping issues. Case arrived in perfect shape. There were no issues w/ the actual case either. Nothing like what I've seen in some of these pics!

Here's some comparisons w/ the Antec P280.

It's a bit smaller, always a welcome attribute. :D

Wow, it looks a lot better! The silver panel's nowhere near as gaudy as the pictures. I'm fine w/ it. The power light is a subtle white!

Definetly more airflow in the back of the P280, but surely causes more noise. A tradeoff.

The big failure of the Antec P280.

The only issue, haha!

Wow...that's A LOT thicker than the P280's lame dampening.

Finally, the insides of them. These cases, more than any other's I've used before are cake to look good. There's a big difference in quality and ease of use compared to my previous Fractal Design Define R3. Little things like the gromits always falling off on the Define, just didn't happen w/ these. All three are nice cases. The Define is cheap, the Antec cools better, and the Corsair is quiet. FWIW, I'm using 4 SFLEX E's @ 1200 RPM.

Antec P280

Corsair 550D

Feel free to fire off any q's.

Thanks for the great pics and review!

What are you guys using for more sound proofing material...@ the top?

Do you guys think cutting out the exhaust hole in the back would decrease noise from the fan? I'm sure it'd help w/ airflow, cause I did it to my Define...just don't remember if it made things noisier or not, lol.

I would definitely cut out the mesh behind the back fan. Or go with a lot of intake fans, a tower cooler on the CPU and no outtake fan. The air will go out that hole anyway.

Try this:
exhaust through your mouth, then put your finger 1/4" from your lips... you can clearly hear the increase in noise when you put an obstacle close.

The chassis sheet metal is .6mm

:eek::( that's rather thin

Same as 500R, the EATX boards will have their bottom SATA ports blocked by the cable routing cutout.

How could something so simple be overlooked by the Corsair design team? All of the Asus "gamer EATX" boards are 1 inch wider (12 x 10.6) Oh well, Fractal or Antec for me....

Last edited:
How could something so simple be overlooked by the Corsair design team? All of the Asus "gamer EATX" boards are 1 inch wider (12 x 10.6) Oh well, Fractal or Antec for me....

Sorry it won't work for you. The EATX boards still fit, but the bottom row of SATA ports is blocked. A regrettable issue, but one which we've had few complaints about with the 400R and 500R, which have the same issue.

I hope you enjoy whichever case you end up buying.

Sorry it won't work for you. The EATX boards still fit, but the bottom row of SATA ports is blocked. A regrettable issue, but one which we've had few complaints about with the 400R and 500R, which have the same issue.

He should route the cables through "before" installing the motherboard. I had a few cases like that, less than minor issue.
The manufacture can't make everything perfect out of the box.

Lian Li would laugh at any request of simplicity.

Anyways, I just picked up this case from Newegg. They sent me a 10% off coupon on Corsair cases and the $20 rebate brought it down to $105.99 shipped.
Not bad considering the features. Hope I like it.

Last edited:
Anyways, I just picked up this case from Newegg. They sent make a 10% off coupon on Corsair cases and the $20 rebate brought it down to $105.99 shipped.
Not bad considering the features. Hope I like it.

Any chance you could share where you got the 10% off coupon?

I apologize if my comment came across snarky, that wasn't my attention. I appreciate the fact that your here answering questions, that's a HUGE benefit to the community. I think the only other case manufacturer that does that is Silverstone (Tony). Hopefully Corsair takes these suggestions to heart for the 555D ;)

I apologize if my comment came across snarky, that wasn't my attention. I appreciate the fact that your here answering questions, that's a HUGE benefit to the community. I think the only other case manufacturer that does that is Silverstone (Tony). Hopefully Corsair takes these suggestions to heart for the 555D ;)

We always do.

In order to make those bottom ports accessible with the 550D you'd either have to sacrifice some of the wiring management to flatten the motherboard tray, or you'd have to elongate the chassis. The first option is a disgusting thought as the cable management on this case is simply amazing. The second option isn't really an option as they'd have to redesign major portions of the case.

It's something that would be nice to see 'resolved' but maybe that resolution needs to be in the higher end cases (as if this case isn't high end :p), like the refreshed 800D (if they are coming out with a refresh on the 800D that is).

Redbeard,

I have a few more questions

1) is there enough space behind door to fit fan controllers with knobs in 5" bay

2) if i decide to go water in the future?
a. What's the max thickness for a radiator in the top panel? I assume a 280mm fits?
b. Are there 120/140mm/ fan mounts behind the drive bays? So I can use a UN bracket?

Thanks,

What are you moving from?

I just sold my Silverstone RV01 to get the 550D.

But...I wanted to go even smaller so I cancelled the 550D and got the Lian Li V354 that's on sale today.
I got a soft spot for aluminum cases, but maybe one day Corsair will make an aluminum mATX cube that can hold a dual rad. One can only hope. ;)

Sucks I cancelled, but I'm done with 15"+ tall cases.

My RMA came in today and everything looks great! Can't wait to move in this weekend.

looking forward to moving from my 800d (for sale) to a 550d.

I'm officially jealous of all you that have one without issues :)

... we need more build shots, fwiw. Anyone spotted any interesting 550d mods yet?

Since amazon is sold out and newegg is $10 cheaper plus a $20 mail-in rebate, I think I'll be placing my order with them today. :)
edit: Order placed!

Last edited:
I switched my build from a Antec P280 to 550D yesterday. I was a big fan of the Antec P180 series but the P280 was just too noisy for my liking. The 550D seems much better compared to P280 in every category, except cooling which I can live with. The build quality, look and overall improvement in silence compared to P280 make me not regret the switch at all.

I bought mine from Newegg, usually I buy everything from Amazon but the 10$ price difference plus the 10% discount coupon I got for Corsair cases made me go with egg. Package came in excellent condition and I have no rattle at all.

Few small gripes:
- I have a Corsair H70 (the original model) which I installed in the back. The case comes with silicone mounts but doing push/pull setup with my AP-14's, the screws that came with the H70 weren't long enough for me to use the silicone mounts due to their thickness, and none of the screws that came with the case would work either.
- The top 5.25" bay wouldn't lock on my blueray burner because the 2 pins that do the lock, were way too short. All the other bays have "normal" size pins so I just moved the drive to the 2nd bay.
- The front door closing mechanism seems very fragile, I preferred the magnets used in the P280.

My build:
Intel i7 930 @ 4.0
Gigabyte X58A-UD5
12 GB Patriot 2133
80GB Intel X25M-G2 + 256 GB Crucial M4
Nvidia 580 with accelero cooler
Seasonic 1000w platinum
2x Noiseblocker PL-2 in front and 2x AP-14's with H70 in the back

Question, did anyone use the motherboard standoffs that came in the little baggie? My mobo tray already had built in standoffs, using the ones included would raise the board so high that the IO plate wouldn't align. WTF?

Question, did anyone use the motherboard standoffs that came in the little baggie? My mobo tray already had built in standoffs, using the ones included would raise the board so high that the IO plate wouldn't align. WTF?

not sure if serious :eek:

Does anyone know if this case has the magnetic dust filter on the sides as well?

Back