Corsair Obsidian 500D released?

It's in stock now. I am very tempted to get it but I think the 450D is working just fine for me now.

from the pictures it seems cheap... for being an Obsidian... would love to see a few reviews

Newegg and Amazon have it in stock now. Just ordered it myself and will move over to it this weekend.

Hmm the TG is super dark which I don't like. On the brightside Fractal just released the Meshify C TG with light TG instead of the the dark one they used.

So I finished moving my rig over to this case. Some things I was not a fan of:

1. Thumb screws were to short, luckily I had a set of corsair thumb screws from an older case that worked. As on this video review helped with reattaching the cable cover for the rear.

2. The 2 fan cutout for the top. Not sure why they didnt just do a 3x 120mm instead of a 2x 120mm or 2x140mm. What I did was since both the front and top fan adapter were the same I swapped them out. This way I could setup my TR4 280mm AIO Cooler in the front with a push/pull configuration.
3. The PSU Housing. I think they could have extended it just a tad more. With my HX1000i I was able to get everything in there but it was a little on the snug side.
4. Cheap Fans, I swapped them out but for a $150 case you would expect at least the ML series fans.

Now for things I did like:

1. The overall sleekness of the case. I like how its very RGB-Less and more of an elegant design.
2. Smoked Tempered glass.
3. Cable cover layout, despite it probably needing to be a tad larger I do like this concept as an ability to help you run and feed your cables. I know NZXT has started to do this and I am sure other companies as well.

Overall the build took a little longer since I wanted to tidy up my wiring but I give the Case a 7/10. I would make it at least an 8/10 if it was around $129.99. I will get some pics up later today.

Here are some pics:

5Ok0kV0.jpg

oETgYJy.jpg

zzQYgoG.jpg

b6a2BbNdrhpJ4PAk1

Last edited:
Yeah I will do some more cleaning up this weekend as I wanted to add a corsair commander pro.

• I get the symmetric concept and it works well. I think they could have made the right drive side glass a touch darker and the left a touch lighter without harming the look too much.
  • A "hold it in place" captive hex or thumbscrew (hex would match the mounting hinges and be more flush but require a tool) would help keep the doors from swinging open when you were moving it around or working on it. I suspect you aren't going to have to open the backside very often. This would also have helped in case the cables in the right side were thick enough to cause the magnet latch to come unstuck occasionally.
  • The gap between the glass and the case could have been dealt with using some nice looking foam rubber sealing, reducing vibrations, sound emission and dust intrusion. It seems odd to leave that gap yet put 3 difference easy to use filters in the system. I can fix that myself but it seems like an oversight in how the case is presented to us.
  • A separate LED for drive activity would have been nice. I can fix that myself, but it would have been a nice touch.
  • I would have made that top aluminum panel removable with some rubber peg standoffs, so you could have easy top access.
  • I would have made some rubber panel pads to just make the magnetic system quiet (premium feeling) when you open and close the panel. (easy to fix myself - just one of the things they could have done for no real cost but a great added feeling to the end user)
  • Given the target audience I "think" I'd have put just a bit more space in that back area for cable running or "stuff" like control boxes that you want to be out of the main viewing compartment. It didnt' need tons more room but 1 more inch, or at least 1/2 inch might have been a different in what you had to work with.

Ok not fair to point out those things without saying the things that came out really right in this design:
  • Nice WIDE air filters. Filters restrict flow and when you make them tiny it only worsens the problem. If you have the space, make the filters wider - they did.
  • Adding a gap by the way of 'mounts' to place the fans a bit of a space away from the filters, both in and out. Again, this improves airflow when working with filters - very good idea and subtle too
  • Lots of drive spaces on the back
  • Great size - length and height allow for options down the road as you change from build to build
  • The top was a good way of balancing gaps for airflow while making a smooth look
  • The front is the same, by offering gaps you get airflow but a panel helps diffuse sound from the fans making for a quieter system overall while still giving good breathing to fans
  • Didn't give me too many stock fans I'm not likely to use. Most folks are changing these fans out with better. Not including too many in the stock product keeps costs down which is smart
  • Variable mounting of fans allows to change the position of front and rear fans to accommodate different coolers or radiators or spacing of components - good move
  • I like the dark tinted glass. A touch lighter on the "system" side might have been good but overall I greatly prefer this to the "simply clear" panels of other designs
  • USB C is awesome on the front/top panel. Adding two SS Type A ports on top of that is ++. Well done on that panel.

It's a good case and I'll probably get the SE model with the glass front. I just hope they don't remove a 2.5" drive bay putting in the Commander pro. I'd prefer the Commander to let me stick it where I want and save my available 2.5" spaces which I need. But again, I can adapt. I think they could dress it up a tiny bit more but really most things were done pretty impressively.

Found one of these at a local Bargain Hunt (basically a store that gets overstock or returned items and resell them). I was shocked to even see they had a pc case at all. It's in perfect condition, but the cashier noticed some discoloration (it's just dust, it wipes right off), so she gave me an extra 20% off. Ended up paying $80 for the case. I was holding out for the new Lian Li PC-O11, but I couldn't pass this up for the price.

I love the 500D bought one for my secondary rig. That 1000D is insane though haha.

Back