CORSAIR launches SCIMITAR PRO RGB Gaming Mouse at CES 2017

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, a world leader in enthusiast memory, PC components and high-performance gaming hardware today announced the release of the new SCIMITAR PRO RGB gaming mouse. Based on the same award-winning Key Slider™ 12 side-button design as the CORSAIR SCIMITAR RGB, the SCIMITAR PRO RGB adds onboard profile storage and a state-of-the-art native 16,000 DPI PMW3367 optical sensor developed in partnership with PIXART for precise control in single DPI steps for ultra-accurate, high-speed tracking.

With a couple more stripes it could be a Chris Foss design. I like it, but I'm so old school I don't even use the extra buttons on my current mouse :LOL:

I am SO glad a bought a round of high quality mice and kydb 3 years ago before this "lights all up in your crevices" trend started.

yay... hey uhhh...corsair... instead of finding new ways to add multifunction keypads and new RGB lights onto mice we start working on something for those of us in the trackball crowd that need a gaming trackball.

Still using one of these on a machine

BCDF5167876C69630225778C7AD99F50.jpeg

I wonder how the sensor compares to Logitech's PMW3366.

We'll need to wait for a "review" (well not really most reviews on tech sites aren't really in depth) to see what the actual differences are. But hardware wise these sensors are all the same. Some manufacturers are willing to spend more for some customization (SROM) and get different branding, eg. 3361 (Roccat), 3366 (Logitech, also lead time) and 3389 (Razer), with 3360 being the "public" version and used by multiple other manufacturers.

In terms of whats available and has been tested, 3360, 3366 and 3389. There are some differences in tuning resulting in different characteristics. 3360 has smoothing above 2100 DPI. 3389 has more smoothing and starts slightly earlier but advertises some higher specs because of it(?). 3366 has no smoothing throughout the range.

But in this case with a 150g mouse it's not really going to be appealing to competitive FPS players which care the most about the sensor performance. And to be honest we've reached a "good enough" level of sensor performance for the most part, at least given current DPI levels (might need to be higher in future if display resolutions increase).

And to be honest we've reached a "good enough" level of sensor performance for the most part, at least given current DPI levels (might need to be higher in future if display resolutions increase).

Well you can actually take advantage of higher DPI without higher resolution in FPS games since it's turning you in 3D space and resolution has no affect on it. As long as the engine let's you set it low enough.
I have 2 dpi settings I use on my mouse, one for 3D aiming and one for 2D and desktop. I use 1200 DPI on the desktop and the 2D menus in games then 3600 for actually aiming in games.
So in Overwatch I set the in-game sensitivity to 1 while using 3600 DPI. If Overwatch sensitivity could go down to 0.3 I could set my sensitivity to 12000 and have over 3 times the precision I do now with identical turning speed.

But yeah it pretty much is "good enough" already. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you were looking for it.

Well you can actually take advantage of higher DPI without higher resolution in FPS games since it's turning you in 3D space and resolution has no affect on it. As long as the engine let's you set it low enough.
I have 2 dpi settings I use on my mouse, one for 3D aiming and one for 2D and desktop. I use 1200 DPI on the desktop and the 2D menus in games then 3600 for actually aiming in games.
So in Overwatch I set the in-game sensitivity to 1 while using 3600 DPI. If Overwatch sensitivity could go down to 0.3 I could set my sensitivity to 12000 and have over 3 times the precision I do now with identical turning speed.

But yeah it pretty much is "good enough" already. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you were looking for it.

What I mean by higher resolution is it increases the level of precision needed to have no measurable difference.

I believe in Overwatch at under 2.5 sensitivity with max FOV you can get 1:1 pixel mapping with no skipping even at 4k resolution. At 3600 DPI this means <8cm/360 which is considered very high sensitivity for gaming, although I guess such people might use it.

If we look at actual user perceivable differences than the level of precision required is even lower. I think for example the pro Overwatch player, who's considered one of the best aims in that game, who popularized that issue in Overwatch himself went back to lower DPI and higher in game sens.

What I mean by higher resolution is it increases the level of precision needed to have no measurable difference.

I believe in Overwatch at under 2.5 sensitivity with max FOV you can get 1:1 pixel mapping with no skipping even at 4k resolution. At 3600 DPI this means <8cm/360 which is considered very high sensitivity for gaming, although I guess such people might use it.

If we look at actual user perceivable differences than the level of precision required is even lower. I think for example the pro Overwatch player, who's considered one of the best aims in that game, who popularized that issue in Overwatch himself went back to lower DPI and higher in game sens.

There is no such thing as 1:1 pixel mapping when you're turning in 3D because you're not turning in pixel increments, you're turning in fractions of a degree. Something up close might look smooth, but if you focus on something in the far distance as you turn you'll always see what you think is "pixel skipping" and it's actually pretty easy to see, even at lower resolutions.

Also in Overwatch 3600 DPI, 1 sensitivity (the lowest you can set it), and max FOV is about 50 cm/360.

But I both think we both agree it's good enough that when you're actually playing you don't even notice. It would just be nice to be able to to set the sensitivity even lower just like it's nice to have even higher resolution textures and better graphics.

Back