Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's a review of that new fangled keyboard that was just announced the other day, the Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE mechanical keyboard. It looks pretty spanky and the reviewer seemed to really like it as well.

This is where the K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE gets a twist. Remixing the formula for 2016, Corsair have a timed exclusive deal with CHERRY to outfit their keyboards with the latest MX Speed switches. Featuring a 45cN actuation force and a 1.2mm actuation distance, they are the fastest and most precise switches available from CHERRY. That isn't their only improvement, they are optimised for SMD LEDs with high output luminosities to give a brighter and more vivid experience.

looks shinier than the razor but I'm waiting for a key board that looks cool and does not make so much noise when I'm typing... the mechanical keyboards are great in that they generally don't have as many problems as the cheap ones but when typing fast it is clack clack clack... my anasai was really cool looking and I could get to cycle through colors while using or just in time to my screen saver but it was loud too... maybe at work it's not a big deal but when I'm writing or gaming late at night it is really loud. here hoping that the next company figures out how to make sound sound and the same translucent keys or plexi tops, sooner or later we will get virtual keyboard that we can swap on the fly that actual can change the image on the key boards... a couple companies tried it... though I think corsair wanted to be metal... sorta... depends on if it was was twenty seconds or licensed... I'm guessing not since they are having to try and raise money to pay for stuff right now...

The two main issues were not addressed.

Poor dispersion of the LED light for keys with multiple characters.

That damn software. Sheesh....

Guys its $170usd + tax for a keyboard.

Since when do these revolutionary RGB mechanical switches make you have a better gaming experience? How do you even quantify how much 'better' they are vs. old tech in my 6year old keyboard?

I spilled juice and shit on this old G110 and its still going. I doubt those clicky keys would do the same. Are these keyboards the golden egg for Corsair? They hand them out to all the e-sports gamers and people eat it up.

^Do you know that feeling when you're walking along the nice firm sidewalk and you accidently step in some gooey dog poo? It feels gross, mushy, and you never want to do it again.

That's what it is like with mechanical keys going to the plastic membrane kind. The RGB part is just added bling. I haven't really messed with the custom lights passed the first few days, but I needed a new keyboard and it was $140, so why not.

Yep, wanker tax for sure. I like mechanical keyboards for their durability but $19 for a wired membrane or even $40 vs this? Haha!

I bought a Corsair K70 keyboard for my Xmas present. I love it. I think it was $90? It replaced a 10 year old Microsoft ergonomic keyboard.
I love the mechanical keys (mine are browns). I have the LEDs disabled - not something I care about to be honest. However, different strokes for different folks.
The MSFT keyboard was comfortable to type on, but the if I try using it now - they keys are mooshy. Hard to go back.

At work, I use the new MacBook a lot. It has weird keys that I still am not comfortable typing on after 6 months of use. I would not mind a mechanical keyboard for when I'm docked....

Guys its $170usd + tax for a keyboard.

Since when do these revolutionary RGB mechanical switches make you have a better gaming experience? How do you even quantify how much 'better' they are vs. old tech in my 6year old keyboard?

I spilled juice and shit on this old G110 and its still going. I doubt those clicky keys would do the same. Are these keyboards the golden egg for Corsair? They hand them out to all the e-sports gamers and people eat it up.
hmm, yea, i thought the same "how good can it possibly be?" until i switched to a mechanical keyboard (cherry blue) from rubber dome keyboards which, ironically, my last one died to to water being spilled on it. holy crap, there is no going back.

I think they are better, just wildly overpriced. Could be quieter as well.

Since when does anyone in here bitch about a better product for gaming being too expensive?

I'm glad there are some people who are [H]ard and can support struggling companies like Corsair and Razer by purchasing a few of these keyboards. I can see them on all the tech videos telling everyone to pull out a small loan and increase there pleasure by decreasing their latency.

How can I check how much $$$ these companies are making selling these 'RGB' golden egg products at high prices?
I am just disgusted at all the tech review videos where the same guy (20-30yo) advertises RGB mechanical keyboards every time they are out -- then with a straight face tells you to buy because reasons. I'm glad [H]OCP doesn't succumb to the pressure and sell you lies. Dont get me wrong, I'll probably get one of these keyboards when my behemoth dies.

I just picked it up after reading reviews and owning a K70 RGB with Cherry MX Red's. I really like the feel of this keyboard a lot better then I did the Reds. I use really lite touches on the keys and I have found that left me in trouble while gaming on the Reds. If I used blues I would have to actively train myself on my typing strokes to actuate.

All in all if the switch matches your typing style this is a great board.

couple months out from the last post...

I had the original K70 RGB and now have the K70 RGB RapidFire

the first thing I notice, no where near as loud as the orginal K70 RGB. These rapidfire cherry switches FEEL somewhat like membrane keys, perhaps it is because they are more quiet?

The other thing I notice and like is they require less force than the older Cherry Reds that I played with.

I actually like the feel of this Rapid Fire K70. Just got mine about a day ago and I am loving it. My mechanical keyboard hate may have been a bit extreme. I still think its overpriced but I enjoy it.

I've had the tenkeyless version, K65 RGB Rapidfire, for a couple of weeks and am very pleased. Mine has the Silver switches which have a more shallow activation point than Reds. I swapped the ABS key caps for a set of PBT Doubleshot caps. This is a great keyboard.

I just got the k70 rapidfire. Really nice. I'm using it with the rosewill transparent orings and it makes it feel even better.. less noise and less errors typing. I just don't like the textured space bar. Got a replacement coming later in the week to see if it's any better.

I just want a mechanical keyboard for like $40 to see if I like it. These prices are madness

I just want a mechanical keyboard for like $40 to see if I like it. These prices are madness

You get what you pay for. Mechies have always started around the $100 mark.

People got spoiled in price expectation by rubber-dome mat switches.

Back