Corsair K70 Reviews on Amazon

bonus

Weaksauce
Was looking to see if Corsair got their led problems sorted out out yet so I went to the K70 reviews to see what the scoop was.

Something looks stinky to me. Four of the last five reviews are real short and titled 'Five Stars'. Ugh. Looks gamed to me.

Can't freaking trust anyone any more.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a k70 and all my LEDs work fine. You know there is a newer k70 rgb out right?

My friend has the K70 with MX-Browns (non-RGB). He likes it a lot, but wishes he had spent the extra on the K95 for the macro functions.

I wish they had something in-between...

Was looking to see if Corsair got their led problems sorted out out yet so I went to the K70 reviews to see what the scoop was.

Something looks stinky to me. Four of the last five reviews are real short and titled 'Five Stars'. Ugh. Looks gamed to me.

I have a k70 and all my LEDs work fine. You know there is a newer k70 rgb out right?

This is a good testament that all those dead LED reports are insignificant less in #s in comparison to the units that we sold in the field that are working flawlessly.
You will see other satisfied K70 owners on other community forums and they will tell you how happy they are with their KB.

That said, I will not deny that dead LED cases does not exist, they do. People complain about them on a daily basis on different chatters online. And it is because those guys are the more vocal ones compared to those who does not have an issue.

LED issue might be the most common complaint that we get, but it does not mean that K70 it is plagued with dead LED issue.

Edit: I didn't even realize that the OP was talking about RGB KB (my fault). In that case, Dead LED issue with our RGB KB is very minimal to almost non-existent due to the way the LEDs are mounted to the PCB.

Last edited:
This is a good testament that all those dead LED reports are insignificant less in #s in comparison to the units that we sold in the field that are working flawlessly.
You will see other satisfied K70 owners on other community forums and they will tell you how happy they are with their KB.

That said, I will not deny that dead LED cases does not exist, they do. People complain about them on a daily basis on different chatters online. And it is because those guys are the more vocal ones compared to those who does not have an issue.

LED issue might be the most common complaint that we get, but it does not mean that K70 it is plagued with dead LED issue.

Hour and a half for a corsair rep to respond. Very nice, very nice.

I came into the thread to see what the deal is with the K70 because I am trying to do a total Corsair build so I can't be accused of being off topic. ;)
But I just gotta say that this is one of the main reasons I just bought and Air 540, an 850 RM and a H110 GTi.
And some Corsair memory. And I want one of those tasty keyboards. And I might even try a mouse for the total Corsair build.
Only fly in the ointment, is the Neutron XT.
Watching like a hawk for a sale. :)

the dead LED issue is so overblown imo (like everything on the internet). I've been through two K70's and wouldn't hesitate to buy another

but with MX Blue RGB discontinued and my complete lack of interest in the overkill of macro buttons on the K95....I had to look elsewhere to get white LED backlight on MX Blues. oh well.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate all the feed back and especially from the rep - that goes a long way.

Tired of getting seemingly getting burnt on PC hardware these days (Samsung EVO 840 is the current culprit), so I'm having a tendency to read everything lately and buy nothing which sucks.

Hour and a half for a corsair rep to respond. Very nice, very nice.

Job security ;) you have a clean set up btw!

the dead LED issue is so overblown imo (like everything on the internet). I've been through two K70's and wouldn't hesitate to buy another

but with MX Blue RGB discontinued and my complete lack of interest in the overkill of macro buttons on the K95....I had to look elsewhere to get white LED backlight on MX Blues. oh well.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your K70s, that is good to know. But yeah, I'm a bit bummed out when I found out about the MX Blue's fate. hopefully in the future, we take a shot at it again.

Thanks Guys. Appreciate all the feed back and especially from the rep - that goes a long way.

No problem at all :) Its always a plus to get factual information rather than just rumors.

If you have concerns regarding any Corsair hardware, feel free to message me anytime.

The standard K70 with MX Browns will likely be my next keyboard since it offers everything I want in a mechanical keyboard: red backlighting, media/volume keys, tactile but non-clicky, clean layout, and under $130.

BTW - is there a severe shortage on the K70 non-RGB w/MX Browns? I seems to be out of stock everywhere way, way more often than it's in stock, which is a rare event. The fact that I can't seem to find one at (or below) MSRP when they are actually in stock at my usual shopping place (Amazon, primarily) is pushing me to really consider the Ducky Shine 4 with MX Browns instead, despite carrying a higher price tag.

I thought I heard that there wasn't going to be anymore brown kbs by corsair.

This is why you always should look through the reviews, check if they are a verified purchase, and actually read them instead of just going off of stars.

I'm still waiting for an OD green version of the keyboard to match my C70 and M65. I know it'll never happen, but why'd you drop the ball with a consistent color scheme, Corsair?

I have the K70 since June 2014. No dead pixels however, i'm not sure I would buy it again just because of something that doesn't suit me well, not necessarily others. There's something about the keys...maybe they are just a tad closer together than other keyboards or something. I can't really put my finger on it (no pun intended).

I'd like to chime in that I just picked up the K70. I like it so far, but I'm concerned about the LEDS for the capslock, numlock and scroll lock not liting up.
I have this KB connected to my linux computer. Everything seems to be working (as can be expected since this kb isn't officially supported under linux), but shouldn't the above mentioned LEDS work regardless of what OS/PC it's connected to?

I bought a vengence k70 mx brown for work shortly after I bought a vengence k95 mx red for gaming at home. For whatever reason, the k95 which has its LEDs on low has no issues with them, but the k70 at work, whose LEDs I turned off, are half dead. It's not a big deal for me since I leave them off anyways, but it's slightly annoying on, what I consider to be, an expensive keyboard (compared to a cheap rubber dome one anyways).

I'm not sure who makes the LEDs for corsair, but hopefully they've found a different/better supply/supplier. My LEDs in my H100i started blinking and dying out about 5 months after getting the thing. It's just not worth the time and effort to RMA due to LEDs though.

I have a K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches and red LED backlighting. The build quality is excellent, all my LEDs work and its generally fine. The problems I have with it are randomly dropping USB connections (for the USB ports on it I'm guessing since it doesn't fail to accept keyboard inputs) and when playing games keys sometimes repeat endlessly. I updated to the latest firmware and that didn't solve the problem.

Last edited:
Have my corsair k70 on for the past few years and no problems whatsoever. Best keyboard I owned. People gave it bad reviews because not all keys are mechanical. Doesn't bother me one bit though.

Have my corsair k70 on for the past few years and no problems whatsoever. Best keyboard I owned. People gave it bad reviews because not all keys are mechanical. Doesn't bother me one bit though.

That bothered the hell out of me. I literally didn't buy the keyboard on that basis alone.

Wait, wait, wait.... Not ALL the keys are mechanical on the K70? Damn, that is likely going to get it scratched off my short list.

Which keys are not mechanical?

Wait, wait, wait.... Not ALL the keys are mechanical on the K70? Damn, that is likely going to get it scratched off my short list.

Which keys are not mechanical?

All the keys on the new vengeance k70 are mechanical. Old one had silicon dome keys for the function keys. I've got the k70 rgb and like it quite a bit. The software needs a lot of work.

Stop the press?? They pulled an nvidia? I can't find anywhere that says the k70 isn't all mechanical.

Can someone confirm this?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70

I see the older k60 wasn't all mechanical, but not the k70.

The K70 RGB currently has issues relating to each key only being able to display approximately 8 levels of color for red, green and blue instead of the full 256 per color. This limits the color output to 512 colors instead of 16,776,704 and results in stutter or pop instead of a clean transition when changing colors. According to Corsair it is an issue that will be fixed in a future software update:

Due to USB stack size and performance issues, we had to reduce MCU processing overhead in the best and quickest manner. The LED controller gives us greater than 8 bits of color depth but we use the 8 bits that give us what we believe to be the best color granularity. Our controller architecture provides for over 100 million color combinations out of which we select 16.8 million to display. We devised a color palette scheme to encode and compress the RGB color data and the data to select and control the “current sources” that drive the LED array. An unfortunate side effect is that it prevented us from utilizing the full color depth available from the LED controller.

We are in the process of making the necessary improvements so that we can send the uncompressed RGB data to the keyboard. Additionally, we are optimizing the data protocol and LED driver/display algorithms through the display control firmware to handle the uncompressed data, and to more efficiently program the “current sources” that drive the LED array. This should give our most “resourceful” customers an easy way to identify the data and be able to easily send standard RGB 8 bit values.

Their gaming line will continue having the dual swords logo. They do have a new SKU sold at NewEgg for K70 RGB with the old logo. Personally I don't get what the big deal is over the logo. It's small and doesn't really stand out.

I too am another satisfied owner of the K70 with Blue switches and Red backlighting. The bottom row has non-standard layout for keys, but adapted to my needs.

I have a K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches and red LED backlighting. The build quality is excellent, all my LEDs work and its generally fine. The problems I have with it are randomly dropping USB connections (for the USB ports on it I'm guessing since it doesn't fail to accept keyboard inputs) and when playing games keys sometimes repeat endlessly. I updated to the latest firmware and that didn't solve the problem.

I'd like to chime in that I just picked up the K70. I like it so far, but I'm concerned about the LEDS for the capslock, numlock and scroll lock not liting up.
I have this KB connected to my linux computer. Everything seems to be working (as can be expected since this kb isn't officially supported under linux), but shouldn't the above mentioned LEDS work regardless of what OS/PC it's connected to?

You are right, OS nor PC platform has nothing to do with the KB's LED, it should work regardless. I would try to re flash the firmware and see if you can get those LEDs back in commission. If flashing the FW does not change anything, I would then recommend that you take advantage of your warranty and get that unit replaced via RMA.

I bought a vengence k70 mx brown for work shortly after I bought a vengence k95 mx red for gaming at home. For whatever reason, the k95 which has its LEDs on low has no issues with them, but the k70 at work, whose LEDs I turned off, are half dead. It's not a big deal for me since I leave them off anyways, but it's slightly annoying on, what I consider to be, an expensive keyboard (compared to a cheap rubber dome one anyways).

I'm not sure who makes the LEDs for corsair, but hopefully they've found a different/better supply/supplier. My LEDs in my H100i started blinking and dying out about 5 months after getting the thing. It's just not worth the time and effort to RMA due to LEDs though.

Half of the keys are dead? that doesn't sound right. Try flashing the KB's firmware as well to reset the LED controller. If its still the same, submit an RMA request and get it replaced.

As for the H100i LED pump blinking, its possible that the LED/pump is not getting continuous power. Check the SATA power lead and make sure its properly seated. I'd also keep an eye on your CPU temp and your pump's rpm, if its running way off spec, that's an indication that your pump block including the LED is not being powered properly. I understand that to some folks RMA is not worth the effort, just be sure its just the LED and not the pump. But If your pump is affected, I'd strongly suggest that you get the cooler replaced.

Have you tried it on a different USB port? or perhaps a different system and see if the problem would persist?

Ah I see. Well I would try on a different system and see if the behavior is the same, if it is, it would be best to get the KB replaced via RMA.

And for those who are curious on what the latest update is regarding the 16.8 Million colors, here is our official statement from our CEO, just in case you guys haven't seen it yet;

Statement from Andy Paul (CEO) regarding 16.8 Million Colors and RGB Keyboards

"I have read several forum comments from RGB keyboard customers asking about 16.8 million color support. I know we have been updating customers on the status and challenges of our 16.8M color software development work on our forums but I wanted to give you a personal update.

When we designed the RGB keyboards, our goal was to give users the ultimate gaming keyboard with the most advanced color customization and lighting effects available. We achieved these goals with unique multi-color per key lighting, layered animation effects, and extensive customization software. We also planned and promised support for 16.8M colors. The keyboard and its lighting controller was designed to support 16.8M colors, and while we have made progress with this we do not yet have a software solution that provides a better overall lighting experience than the current version.

I believe, and hope most of our customers agree, that we’ve built the most advanced gaming keyboard on the market, but we have more work to do. Based on recent feedback from our QA team and customers in our beta program, our engineering team estimates it will take another 8 weeks before we can release a software update that supports 16.8M colors. We apologize to those that want 16.8M color support. We realize that this is a long time to wait, so we are continuing to offer customers the option of returning their keyboard to us by contacting us at [email protected]. For customers that are enjoying the advanced lighting that your keyboard offers today, we thank you and we hope you like the new enhancements we are working on for you."

- Andy Paul
CEO and Founder

I have an RGB K65 with reds. I love it. No LED issues, or any other issues for that matter. My buddy picked up an RGB K70 (my recommendation to him) with browns and he loves it, again, no LED issues or any other issues. +1 cosair. Well played.

I have an RGB K65 with reds. I love it. No LED issues, or any other issues for that matter. My buddy picked up an RGB K70 (my recommendation to him) with browns and he loves it, again, no LED issues or any other issues. +1 cosair. Well played.

Thank you for sharing your experience with our KB :) and I'm glad to hear that both your KB and your friend's are working perfectly fine.

A very good testament that in spite we see complaints with this keyboard more often on forums, there are also folks out there that are very satisfied with the KB and never had an issue since the point of ownership.

FWIW I also have a K70, black with red LED's, Cherry Red keys, and am very happy with it. Have not had a single LED problem in the time I've had it.

But as I stated above, what would have made me 100% satisfied was if Corsair had continued with the military green theme and released an OD green K70.

Back