Corsair K70 LUX RGB Vs. G.Skill KM780

Askeptic

n00b
Hello,

I need help finalizing on a keyboard decision between the Corsair K70 RGB LUX and the G.Skill KM780.

Does one really beat the other? Has Corsair fixed the QUE software so that it is now manageable?

I like the Mic/Headphone inclusion on the G.Skill, but like the Media controls better on the K70 (which I use a lot).

I currently have Macro keys on my existing keyboard (Logitech G15), but haven't used them in years.

Each have some pretty nice pros and cons, but I just can't make up my mind... Hoping someone can point something out to me that I have not yet thought of.

Thanks!

I have the regular K70 RGB (non LUX). I didn't use the early versions of the Corsair software, but from what I have read they have improved it a lot. I was able to easily create a profile and set my desired keys to certain colors. With that being said, I have no clue about creating dramatic effects and what not...the included lighting effects are adequate for me and I don't use them anyway (nice for showing off, though).

Sorry, I can't weigh in on the G.skill board but I have heard good things - it looks like a solid bet as well. I'm personally not as big of a fan of the way it looks, but that's just a personal preference.

I have the regular K70 RGB (non LUX). I didn't use the early versions of the Corsair software, but from what I have read they have improved it a lot. I was able to easily create a profile and set my desired keys to certain colors. With that being said, I have no clue about creating dramatic effects and what not...the included lighting effects are adequate for me and I don't use them anyway (nice for showing off, though).

Sorry, I can't weigh in on the G.skill board but I have heard good things - it looks like a solid bet as well. I'm personally not as big of a fan of the way it looks, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks! I agree, the two things holding me back from the G.Skill are the way it looks compared to the K70, and the volume roller. I prefer the smooth roll and surface of the volume roller on the K70 along with the sleep looks.
On the other hand, the G.Skill is ~$20 cheaper, has audio connections (I would use them) and has the macro keys in case I have a need for them in the future... Oh, I also like the font on the K70 more, bigger letters = more RBG color :)

The K70 is a solid keyboard. I've got two on my keyboard trey, and have had 4+ in the last couple of years.

The non-RBG ones don't require software at all, so if you can find a K70 LUX with just the red backlighting, you don't need software. I have the software for my mouse, and it works with the keyboard. The software is the only part of the setup I don't like, it's clunky and not very easy to learn, at least for reprogramming buttons on my mouse, but it does work.

I've killed several of these keyboards by spilling on them, though my first one died outright all on it's own. This has more to do with the switches not being water resistant, which I think describes all mechanical keyboards, save a few specialty keyboards...

The K70's aluminum chassis is pretty damn cool, and the main reason I keep sticking with them. That and I finally found a MX Cherry blue switch with red LED's combo, which is all I've ever wanted, regardless. My second current K70 is pre-LUX, but it has the MX Cherry Red switches with red LEDs. It doesn't even show up in Corsair's software. Hah.

I'll keep using the K70's until they are discontinued. Never had a bad keyboard, other than the first one, which may have been caused by a spill anyway.

The media keys are standard media keys, and I can't figure out how to get them to work with, say, Youtube, or anything else in a browser, without using something like AutoHotKeys. I don't care, though, as I rarely use the media keys anyway... Though I may be investing some time in learning how to do this with my second PC, as it's mostly a media machine (I watch youtube on it while playing FO4 on my main PC).

Back