Corsair Hydros on sale at Best Buy

Yeah I have a new in the box H100 ready for Ivy Bridge if and ONLY if people can get 5.2 to 5.5Ghz out of these things on high end air or water.

Keep waiting, highly doubt it will happen, especially with all the current rumors pointing to IB overclocking worse than SB.

Rig these to my 480s hmm....
I thought about rigging a pair of h60's to a launch ps3's motherboard to cool the cpu and gpu.
But i have fallen out of love with Sony and their shit box game GT5, thanks to their love of econobox JPN cars, I bought an x360 JUST to play FM4.

ANYWAYS, does anyone know how the h60 compares to the h80? I had somewhat of a hard time installing the h60 in a Lian Li PC-Q08 because of the fatter radiator caps. It looks like its much flatter in the h80 and one would think it would fit in tighter places, only difference is the H80 has a deeper rad.

So according to you, many of the folks on here, including Kyle, are "mainstream" users that "don't have the skill" to put together a WC loop? Really? And you wonder if I am being serious?

Since you need it spelled out for you...

You come off as an snobby, entitled twat.

I shop anywhere I can get the best deal. It doesn't matter to me if it comes from NewEgg, Fry's, Amazon or Best Buy, they all sell the same shit anyway.

oh lordy...

the point of the Hydro coolers were to bring a sealed all-in-one watercooling package that the average joe could buy, install and benefit from a watercooling loop without having to worry about leaks or mismatched parts. and without spending countless hours reading, researching and digging through forums/opinions. the H50 brought watercooling to the masses, not just to enthusiasts willing to put the extensive time and effort to make a full setup.

every time a Best Buy article gets posted, the majority of the posts are how idiots shop at Best Buy, that [H] dont shop there. Best Buys target market are mainstream average joe users, not [H] readers, not tech geeks, not people that have the skill to build a WCing setup.

And how am I being eliteist and snobby? I love the Hydro coolers, would have them on all my builds if I could, and yes I do shop and buy from Best Buy(if the deal is there). im not looking down at anybody for having a Hydro, or for shopping at best buy. but if you dont think Best Buy caters to the average joe then my argument falls on deaf ears...

every time a Best Buy article gets posted, the majority of the posts are how idiots work at Best Buy

ftfy

You're right in that they cater to the masses. These coolers in my opinion were never about "not having the skills/talent" whatever you want to call it...for me it was about the convenience of the coolers. I'm like any other Joe and will go where the deal is and if it's at BB, I'll go there but that usually don't happen.

My problem is with their staff, or at least here locally. I can honestly say they hate their customers and do whatever it takes to piss them off. I started doing the (order online/pickup in store) only to find out they still do whatever it takes to make you pissed off.

Anyway, great cooler. My H100 runs fine.

And how am I being eliteist and snobby? I love the Hydro coolers, would have them on all my builds if I could, and yes I do shop and buy from Best Buy(if the deal is there). im not looking down at anybody for having a Hydro, or for shopping at best buy. but if you dont think Best Buy caters to the average joe then my argument falls on deaf ears...

Your initial post made it sound like you were referring to the coolers as being only "for mainstream users that don't have knowledge/skills" and not Best Buy specifically.

Apparently that was not your intent, so apologies. Hopefully you can see why what you said looks like that, though.

I don't think there was intended snobbery in 86's initial comment or this one either:

anyway, I had a H50 when they just came out, loved it, got me into watercooling, when I was afraid of using water in a PC. guess who shops at best buy? mainstream people that want to try watercooling but dont have the know how or skill to piece together a full WC setup.

Many people don't have the knowledge and skill required to diy watercool, especially mainstream types. It's a statement of fact. I fall under the category of someone who can't WC and I didn't take it as a insult. I can't tap dance either. I wouldn't take offense at some dancer saying that most non-dancers can't tap dance. No one is born with skills. Skills are gained through experience doing the things you enjoy.

Many people don't have the knowledge and skill required to diy watercool, especially mainstream types. It's a statement of fact. I fall under the category of someone who can't WC and I didn't take it as a insult. I can't tap dance either. I wouldn't take offense at some dancer saying that most non-dancers can't tap dance. No one is born with skills. Skills are gained through experience doing the things you enjoy.

He could have done with significantly better wording than this:

"guess who shops at best buy? mainstream people that want to try watercooling but dont have the know how or skill to piece together a full WC setup."

It's a statement that can be taken as rather all-inclusive in the context of this thread.

Yeah. I shop at BestBuy. Now follow the rest of his statement and tell me how it can't be taken as a snobby remark.

Yeah. I shop at BestBuy. Now follow the rest of his statement and tell me how it can't be taken as a snobby remark.

Don't see it. That's the trouble with text-only communication. It's easy to read things differently than they are intended. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt. 86 even said that he started out with a Hydro and he shops at Best Buy. That should be enough to let it go and get the talk back on the deals.

Okay, let's use some deductive reasoning:

People had been talking about how BB's market was the general, idiotic public who doesn't know shit about computers.

Then this is said:

these coolers are exactly for their market...

So, we can conclude that what was being said is that these coolers are for the general, idiotic public. Which is a fallacy since really none of these coolers are targeted at the general public (i.e., those who don't build their own computers). What it came off as sounding like is that if you buy these coolers you must be some noob who can't make a "real" WC system.

Additionally, he said:

guess who shops at best buy? mainstream people that want to try watercooling but dont have the know how or skill to piece together a full WC setup.

Further making it sound as if buying these coolers makes you some tech illiterate.

But it's irrelevant since 86 5.0L clarified his position with some better wording.

I would conclude by saying that these coolers cater to the enthusiast crowd who do not want to spend the time or money building a custom WC loop. "Mainstream" users aren't going to overclock in the first place and thus buying one of these over the stock HSF would be utterly pointless.

I own the Corsair H50 and I got there coming from the opposite direction. I owned one of the original Whitewater blocks from Cather, bought my 86 Chevy Chevette heater core from O'Reilly's auto supply, made a custom shroud for it from sheet metal and made my resevoir from a PVC pipe. So I'd consider myself as someone who's more than "an average joe" and handy enough to build a DIY WC system, although I'm far from being an elite modder. I can say that the whole custom watercooling experience was not for me. It was more of a PITA than it was worth in my mind. Lots of tubing involved, bleeding, changing water every 6 months, etc etc. Although I learned from the experience it just wasn't for me. I'm actually quite happy with my Corsair H50 right now. It wasn't any harder to install than any air cooler and it didn't cost $150-$250. Is it any better than air coolers like the CM 212+, not by much. I like the convenience of the H50. As you get older life happens, school, work, family get in the way. So it's not that I can't build a custom WC setup, I just try not to make my life so complicated.

I am interested in getting this, I am currently using a coolermaster gemini 2, looking for a smaller solution.

My question is, how is longevity with these? I am worried about the coolant getting gummed up and the pump dying, is that a problem with these coolers?

Just picked one up at my local best buy. Hoping this will quiet down my PC a little. I've been wanting to get rid of some fans in my case.

Very tempted to jump on a H60 to replace my Corsair A50.
I have the 2500k and avg mid to high 50's when gamming. Plus I think the H60 would be quiter.

Don't see it. That's the trouble with text-only communication. It's easy to read things differently than they are intended. You have to give people the benefit of the doubt. 86 even said that he started out with a Hydro and he shops at Best Buy. That should be enough to let it go and get the talk back on the deals.

Smartest thing I've read in this thread besides the first post.

You're an intelligent man my friend. :)

I got my H50 from BestBuy last year when it was on sale for ~$45.
I was very skeptical, but I am extremely satisfied with the performance of the H50. I added another fan to the radiator to make it push/pull configuration. It made a very nice difference in cooling.
I don't feel like it is necessary to upgrade to H60/80/100, but I would like to anyway.

corsair planning on doing something like a 45mm h100 2.0? would be pretty cool to see how far theyre willing to go with the hydros

^

I would like to know too if any new hydro models are coming out soon.

It looks like the sale is dead now? H100 for $119.99 doesn't seem like a savings to me.

As much as I'd like a Hydro cooler, I don't see how it's necessary at all over a decent air cooler like the Hyper 212. My temps in games never exceed 60C on my i5-2500k @ 4.7GHz, which is well below the threshold of safe temperatures.

Someone brought up a good point though, I wonder what the longevity on these units are? I have had my 620 for about 1.5 years now, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a new one when they go on sale and replace my existing at like the two year mark, to be proactive. What do you guys think?

Someone brought up a good point though, I wonder what the longevity on these units are? I have had my 620 for about 1.5 years now, and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a new one when they go on sale and replace my existing at like the two year mark, to be proactive. What do you guys think?
Why don't you be our guinea pig and let us know when it fails on you? ;)

I guess the question is, do you think the tubing will fail first or the pump?

If the pump fails you'll probably just get a crash/reboot when the CPU overheats. Shouldn't damage anything though.

From what I've read, the tubing is what goes bad on these Hydro units, which leads to leaky units and potential for damaged hardware (not to mention a mess). I have not seen one case where the pump fails first.

Actually, that leads to another interesting question. Is there a way to guess if/when a unit will fail? I'm sure we'd all like to avoid discovering a small flood inside your tower one morning :eek:.

I would hope that they would use some sort of fluid that is not conductive but apparently that is not the case?

Maybe you could just wrap the tubes in electrical tape just in case? :p

I would hope that they would use some sort of fluid that is not conductive but apparently that is not the case?

Some people have caught the leaking before it gets bad (the leak seems to start small). Just open up your case to check the tubes every once in a while to help prevent any serious issues.

From what I've read, the tubing is what goes bad on these Hydro units, which leads to leaky units and potential for damaged hardware (not to mention a mess). I have not seen one case where the pump fails first.

You can check their forums and others. I have only seen a handful of leak issues, but most of the problems are pumps going bad (not counting just the bad batch ones). Just do a Google search for Corsair leak and corsair pump failure to get a good idea of how wide spread the issues are.

In both cases its rare. But the leaks are the most extremely rare of rare. To be a true consumer part and for companies like Intel and AMD to use pretty much the same pump and radiators, the failure rates that would potentially kill other pieces of hardware would have to be extremely small. That said any time you are dealing with water and electronics, there is always a chance something goes wrong.

As for the use case. I think a lot of people ignore the one thing that these coolers provide that good air can not. Compatibility. From the H50-H100, you have configurations that can support almost any case, and you get out of it from the H50 a very good cooler, tor the H100 depending on fan configuration, something better then any air cooler. Radiators go off to the side or top, away from most of the hardware, and the pumps are so small and enclosed that you don't have to worry about VRM's, caps, memory, and with something as big as the D-14, even video card slot placement (whether the board has a 1x before the first 16x).

I didn't get my H80 because I wanted water cooling. I got an H80 because I want access to my memory slots, not having to worry about memory sink size. I also wanted it because I didn't want heat from the CPU being re-dispensed into my case willy nilly. I don't have to worry about the HSF resting against my video card. I didn't have to worry about VRM's getting in the way. I didn't have to purchase low profile (thats a joke anyways) memory. I didn't have to worry about the case being too thin for a tower sink. If I change cases or motherboards in the future, I don't have to worry about compatibility.

What these are are getting good coolers that are as easy to install as a retail hsf and cools as good as an after market unit, while maintaining support for most configurations. A true WC unit is about a painful, expensive, and time consuming of a job you can do in computer, requiring several new parts with every change. This is less of a water cooler and more of an extended air cooler, made for people who to lower configuration time and up compatibility.

Bingo. I pretty much gave up on rebates. It never factors into my buying costs. That was why I wanted to let people know about the BestBuy sale on these because there's no rebate involved... and as-is, it's a damned good price.

I hate rebates and if it's something manufacturers wish to do then the stores selling the products should handle all the paperwork. I mean SERIOUSLY if car dealerships handle my $5,000.oo rebates for buying new vehicles then Newegg or Fry's Electronics should handle my $15.oo rebates!

You can check their forums and others. I have only seen a handful of leak issues, but most of the problems are pumps going bad (not counting just the bad batch ones). Just do a Google search for Corsair leak and corsair pump failure to get a good idea of how wide spread the issues are.

In both cases its rare. But the leaks are the most extremely rare of rare. To be a true consumer part and for companies like Intel and AMD to use pretty much the same pump and radiators, the failure rates that would potentially kill other pieces of hardware would have to be extremely small. That said any time you are dealing with water and electronics, there is always a chance something goes wrong.

As for the use case. I think a lot of people ignore the one thing that these coolers provide that good air can not. Compatibility. From the H50-H100, you have configurations that can support almost any case, and you get out of it from the H50 a very good cooler, tor the H100 depending on fan configuration, something better then any air cooler. Radiators go off to the side or top, away from most of the hardware, and the pumps are so small and enclosed that you don't have to worry about VRM's, caps, memory, and with something as big as the D-14, even video card slot placement (whether the board has a 1x before the first 16x).

I didn't get my H80 because I wanted water cooling. I got an H80 because I want access to my memory slots, not having to worry about memory sink size. I also wanted it because I didn't want heat from the CPU being re-dispensed into my case willy nilly. I don't have to worry about the HSF resting against my video card. I didn't have to worry about VRM's getting in the way. I didn't have to purchase low profile (thats a joke anyways) memory. I didn't have to worry about the case being too thin for a tower sink. If I change cases or motherboards in the future, I don't have to worry about compatibility.

What these are are getting good coolers that are as easy to install as a retail hsf and cools as good as an after market unit, while maintaining support for most configurations. A true WC unit is about a painful, expensive, and time consuming of a job you can do in computer, requiring several new parts with every change. This is less of a water cooler and more of an extended air cooler, made for people who to lower configuration time and up compatibility.
That's as good of a sales letter as I've ever seen for a Corsair Hydro.

I guess the question is, do you think the tubing will fail first or the pump?

If the pump fails you'll probably just get a crash/reboot when the CPU overheats. Shouldn't damage anything though.

4 months, apparently.

Either the unit needs to be bled or the pump just ain't cutting it anymore. I'm getting high temps of 157f degrees when max used to be 112f. Idle temps of around 90-120f until I start flicking the hose repeatedly and it'll drop down to upper 80s.

Hmm...that sucks. But I guess it's better the pump than a leak that destroys all your equipment, right? :p

Hmm...that sucks. But I guess it's better the pump than a leak that destroys all your equipment, right? :p

Horray?

I just had this conversation.

So what you doing now?
Flicking my pipe.
Hot.
No. Seriously. Flicking my pipe. Or my CPU will overheat.

Any liquid marketed as non conductive aside from something legitimate like Fluorinert is silly. As soon as that 'non conductive' liquid leaks, it's going to touch dusty components, the air in the case, and the tubes/pump/block it's leaking from. Then it won't be conductive anymore. Then your shit shorts out. Then you cry.

A little perspective on the failure with the cooler.

Corsair H60:

sadkN.png

Stock Phenom II Heatsink:

xW6Br.png

I imagine that even if the fan were to fail on the stock AMD heatink, it wouldn't get as high as the Corsair did.

Back