Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler Review @ [H]

Isn't something like the Swiftech H20-220 Edge better value overall than this?
Sure it's not truly self-contained, but it's almost as easy to put together, & performs way better.

IMO H60 looks like the best one of the bunch if you are looking at going custom fans with push\pull configuration.

Sure it's not truly self-contained, but it's almost as easy to put together, & performs way better.

guess no one has any thoughts, unsubscribing, cheers

It also costs 3-4 times more than most of the self contained units. What's the $ per cooling value workout to be with one of those?

I have not seen this posted yet, the H60 is $59.9 at Fry's right now, not even sale price.

The H60 is stupid-easy to install... I just popped one in last week. Temps are good...but I also suggest using push-pull with this cooler. Easy enough if you are mounting in a corsair case :)

I have my H60 running with two fans in Push pull, one of which is a san ace 1011. I'm getting temps while running windows of mid 40's celcius for all cores. Is that on par for a stock i7-950 or is it bad?

I have my H60 running with two fans in Push pull, one of which is a san ace 1011. I'm getting temps while running windows of mid 40's celcius for all cores. Is that on par for a stock i7-950 or is it bad?

Does "while running windows" mean you're not doing anything in windows? If so, depending on your room temp that seems high. You may want to remount the WB and while doing so check to be sure it's making good contact with the CPU. If it's not, make sure you're mounting it correctly and that it's not sitting on any of the capacitors around the socket.

Must have been room temp and/or curing time, temps are lower today, in the high 30s. There are capacitors very close to the block on my board, which sucks because on the board I switched from there was plenty of space.

Random question, I am using this in an RV03 with the radiator blowing out the top. Is it better to have the fan pushing or pulling?

Random question, I am using this in an RV03 with the radiator blowing out the top. Is it better to have the fan pushing or pulling?

With the H50 seems like the best results were from blowing cool from outside of the case.

I'd try blow from the back side on that case.

I thought about doing that, but the hot air would be blowing straight into the fan on my 6870 :/

I installed the H60 fan as an intake from the back of my case. Dropped my temps from 43°/68° to 32°/45° (idle/load). I have an 80mm fan adjacent from the CPU on the access panel, I spun it around and made it the exhaust. The Pros; My CPU never gets above 45°c, and my overall case temp dropped about 6°c or so. Also, my Video Card used to lock up with a driver error, ever since the H60 install, it hasn't locked up once. The Cons; My case had a panel with another 80mm fan that won't fit because of the radiator (no big loss, the case is still cooler). It also now blows warm air onto my leg.

Unless you don't have the room for the bigger radiator and dual fans, I would suggest holding out for the H80 or H100. The H60 Is nice, and does it's job well. But if you overclock, you would probably buy some new fans for it for a push-pull configuration. Doing that, you would end up spending as much as the H80 anyway. The H80 and H100 also have much more surface area (thus, more cooling potential) even before adding the extra fan(s)... Not to mention, those 2 will have Corsair's "Link" connectivity, whereas the H50, H60, and H70 do not...

So i am getting a i7 2600k today and I picked up an H50 at BB last week for $40. I already have two GT AP-15s to use with the cooler. Is there a point to get the H60 or H70? I am planning to overclock the CPU.

Hoping someone can answer a couple of questions on the H60.

1) Does the mount require access to the back of the motherboard?
2) Would this fit in a low profile case? Lian Li PC-V600 with 85mm clearance. Also, there is no rear exhaust for this case. The only thing blowing out the rear is the PSU. There is a side vent near the GPU.

Thanks!

2) Would this fit in a low profile case? Lian Li PC-V600 with 85mm clearance. Also, there is no rear exhaust for this case. The only thing blowing out the rear is the PSU. There is a side vent near the GPU.

Thanks!

1. Yes. You have to install the backplate which requires you to either remove the motherboard or if your motherboard tray has a hole opening, you can install it that way.
  2. While the integrated pump is small, you have to factor in the size of the radiator. It's made to fit a 120mm fan with a few mm extra around. So no.

Does anybody else get a slight but high pitched noise from their H60 fan? It is driving me a little nuts.

Thanks!

1. For AMD, no. It uses the standard AMD mounting bracket on the motherboard. For Intel, yes. It requires mounting a special mounting plate on Intel boards.
2. Looking at that case, it looks like you might be able to use it with the side 120mm fan bracket if you take off the metal shroud between the fan bracket and the case door, and put the radiator there instead. It's not really so much a "low profile" case as it is a compact case. It's just as wide as your average Midtower, it's just shorter. You may luck out. I just put a tape measure on the radiator, and it's about 15/16" to 1" at it's thickest point. Measure that metal shroud, and see if you could put the radiator in it's place.

2. Looking at that case, it looks like you might be able to use it with the side 120mm fan bracket if you take off the metal shroud between the fan bracket and the case door, and put the radiator there instead. It's not really so much a "low profile" case as it is a compact case. It's just as wide as your average Midtower, it's just shorter. You may luck out. I just put a tape measure on the radiator, and it's about 15/16" to 1" at it's thickest point. Measure that metal shroud, and see if you could put the radiator in it's place.

no can do...that area is 1/2 at best. I guess I'll need to look into moving the PSU to the front. Thanks for checking.

Does anybody else get a slight but high pitched noise from their H60 fan? It is driving me a little nuts.

You asking about the fans or the pump? I've got a buzzing in the pump and after troubleshooting it I am filing for an RMA.

no can do...that area is 1/2 at best. I guess I'll need to look into moving the PSU to the front. Thanks for checking.

What about cutting the side panel to allow for the radiator? it would give it an interesting look.

I'm on my 2nd H60 already (first had buzzing issues) and I am definitely having issues with high pitched noises from the pump. I haven't installed it yet; after the first H60 I've decided I'm going to try and test it before putting it in the system.

Maybe in a closed system the noise will be acceptable.

Does anyone know if the same pump is being used in the H80 or H100? If so, and if this H60 doesn't work out, I think I'm going to skip this round of watercooling.

What about cutting the side panel to allow for the radiator? it would give it an interesting look.

Nah...I'd prefer not to have to cut anything. Moving the PSU is a common mod and it'd fit that way.

maybe a dumb question...but is it possible to mount the radiator OUTSIDE the case?

Yes, as long as you have a way to get the tubing inside your case, which would likely require a tiny bit of cutting.

Installing my H60 now. The double male ended screws which attach to the backplate don't seem to fully tighten. They seem to have play between them and the motherboard. Is that normal?

I recall reading that is normal. I think things will tighten up eventually.

Ordered a H60 from Amazon on Friday, installed it yesterday, buzzed like crazy. I could tap on it with my finger and the buzzing would stop for 2 seconds, then start back up. So defective units are still out there. Great that Amazon makes ordering a replacement dead simple.

I just picked up one of these from Fry's for $60 yesterday. So far I'm pleased - it seems to be cooling about 3 to 5 degrees C cooler than my CM 212.

I was considering the H80 or H100, but the bottom line is that I don't do any real high end overclocking (I'm happy with 4.4 Ghz out of my 2600K) and I didn't think I could justify almost twice as much money. I'm very happy so far!

Back