Corsair HX850 6+2 wiring question

DraginDime

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short.
I had two 6+2 pin connectors that I sleeved. While sleeving, I didn't need the +2 so I cut them off and repinned the wire and used the 6pin for my video cards. Worked great for years.

Fast forward to now. I'd like to add the +2 pins back because my cards use an 8 and 6 pin each. My problem is I don't like how they were connected from the factory. They just jumped the wires over from the other pins. I'd like to (if possible) add 2 full length wires back.

My question is can I do this by using longer wires (would be same length/gauge as the other 6) and run them all the way to the plug that plugs into the PSU?

Another thing is the connectors that plug into the PSU only has 6 wires in them, yet they are an 8 pin plug. Would it be possible for me to pin and add wires to the 2 slots that are open?

Let me know what you guys think, any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've read that the +2pin are both ground wires. So I don't think I could plug them into the extra slots on the 8pin connector. So I guess I'm left with connecting them into the ground wires already on the plug.

Back