Corsair HX1000

veedubfreak

2[H]4U
So is anyone running a hx1000? I know its a good unit, but i'm wondering just how good. Currently running an i7 @ 4.2ghz, 2 watercooling pumps, 10 fans, 2 hard drives, 2 260s and a 8800gt for physx off of a 750tx. I'm wondering if the hx1000 will be suffiecient to run TRI-SLI 285s.

If it isnt, i'm probably just going to pick up the new coolermaster upc 1100.

See the HardOCP and Jonnyguru reviews if you want to know how good it is. The HX1000 will have no problems handling an i7 rig with three GTX285s.

The corsair should have no problems powering that considering gtx 285's use about 190 watts fully loaded.

You'll have something like a spare 350 watts on +12v to use on other component's so you should be ok with that. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I ended up getting the new coolermaster UCP 1100 anyway. Hard to beat 88% efficiency :) And it was only about 40 bucks more expensive.

The HX1000 is a beast and would be plenty for x3 GTX 285's. I wouldnt get anything else if I needed that much power.

+1 for the 1000HX. Although my rig isn't that demanding, my HX is super silent....can't even hear it unless I put my ear up to it.

+1 for the 1000HX. Although my rig isn't that demanding, my HX is super silent....can't even hear it unless I put my ear up to it.

Another +1 for the HX1000. Absolutely love mine and have plenty of power to spare for the future. :)

I just got mine today. So far so good. I didn't end up needing all the extra power though. My Enermax 500w powered my system just fine. Oh well though the newegg deal on the HX1000 was hard to pass up.

The HX1000 does have the advantage of 40 Amp 12 volt rails. Which is recommended for the GTX 295.

+1 for the HX1000 as well, running everything listed in my sig below and doesn't break a sweat, probably could push it even further but got it for my eventual i7 upgrade with whatever video card will be out next year.

Anyone know what's up with the DOAs and the clicking-noises after 1 month of use on some of these? I've read a couple of complaints by some users on newegg... and I was thinking of buying this PSU too... Should I be worried or do you think those issues will be less frequent from now on since there've been complaints? :confused:

The HX1000 does have the advantage of 40 Amp 12 volt rails. Which is recommended for the GTX 295.
If I was getting a 295, I'd get a HX620, 1K is overkill for that card.

@OP: I have a HX1000 @ GTX 285 SLI, runs like a dream. Can go tri-SLI whenever I'm ready and have room for OCing.

HX1000 is what i'm running - 920, 2x 285s, 12GB ram, plenty of room for extra.

Anyone know what's up with the DOAs and the clicking-noises after 1 month of use on some of these? I've read a couple of complaints by some users on newegg... and I was thinking of buying this PSU too... Should I be worried or do you think those issues will be less frequent from now on since there've been complaints? :confused:
I wouldn't worry. Newegg reviews aren't exactly a great way to judge the reliability of a product.

[H]adouken;1033717409 said:
If I was getting a 295, I'd get a HX620, 1K is overkill for that card.

But not if you wanted to add an extra 295 for SLI in the near-future right? That's why I'm getting the HX1000, even for one 295, as I plan to do SLI in a couple of months when the prices drop further.

Well yeah SLI you need more power, HX1000 delivers about 80A on the 12V rails so that should be more than enough.

My fan is going after just 1 month of use. Other than that it is an awesome powersupply. Do you guys think I should send it away? I have done alot of cable management and it would suck hard if I did. I could just take the thing apart and replace the fan. I already know the part number and who makes it so what you guys think?

Send it back. The unit has a 5 year warranty, you probably don't want to lose that. Opening it up will void the warranty.

[H]adouken;1033718040 said:
Well yeah SLI you need more power, HX1000 delivers about 80A on the 12V rails so that should be more than enough.

I'm just curious if anyone knows what the true max 12v amps this psu can put out. From what I read its a newer revision of the same hardware in the ThermalTake ToughPower 1200w. I've also heard corsair could have rated it higher then 1000w and in the jonnyguru review I believe they were testing it at R1 12v 35A, R2 12v 33A and said it could do ~24A more of 12v. That would be like 92A.

A cheaper alternative is the TX850. That beast can run everything you can throw at it like the HX1000, but 90$ less and only 10 less amps than the HX1000.

Yeah I just which they made a HX850. I prefer modular and I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for it.

My fan is going after just 1 month of use. Other than that it is an awesome powersupply. Do you guys think I should send it away? I have done alot of cable management and it would suck hard if I did. I could just take the thing apart and replace the fan. I already know the part number and who makes it so what you guys think?
Corsair will probably allow you to send back the PSU without including the modular cables. You should be able to leave your cable management intact and simply remove the PSU itself.

A cheaper alternative is the TX850. That beast can run everything you can throw at it like the HX1000, but 90$ less and only 10 less amps than the HX1000.

I find it hard to believe that the 850 can run a 4+ ghz i7, 3 285s, 10 fans, and watercooling. Anyway, my coolermaster 1100 came in DOA so i picked up the enermax 1050 from microcenter and its working just fine.

Corsair will probably allow you to send back the PSU without including the modular cables. You should be able to leave your cable management intact and simply remove the PSU itself.

K, thanks for the advice. I will probably send it back. Sucks tho because this will be the third part from my computer that I have to RMA. I have terrible luck.

Back