Corsair HX1000 went POP

skypine27

Gawd
Ok, so I had Corsair HX1000 powering system in sig.

Actually, I had it for several years (guessing I bought it in 2010) and it powered a couple of variations of my system.

Anyway, I got to witness it first hand...

So im sitting there playing GW2 once day, and I hear "POP"!!

And computer goes full black. Not just the tower, but also the monitor and speakers. I think, "thats strange.... Look at the surge protector, and its full black (the little orange light indicating power is not on). So I press reset button on the strip a few times, and nothing happens. Maybe a circuit breaker?" Sure enough, I check the breaker box, and one is thrown. I reset it, and instantly POP, again its tripped.

So now what do I do? I go look at my computer case. Seems fine. But I can smell faint burning elec smell. Sniff around, and I think the smell is strongest from the PSU exhaust area. I freak out and hope no data loss and/or mobo damage. Many of my drives are in Raid 0 and would depend on the same mobo to recover the data!

So as a dumb experiment, I unplug everything from the tower and plug just the single PSU power cord into a different wall socket, and POP. It blows that breaker.

I'm stubborn, so I try it again, in a different wall socket. POW, as soon as I plug in the cable from the PSU to the wall, it blows the breaker.

Now I don't know where the short is and don't feel like messing with things anymore. So I buy an 1200i PSU, and assemble it, using all the old modular leads from the hx1000W since they were routed cleanly and....

Computer works fine. Even tested the new PSU with the old power cord, and it worked fine.

I wouldn't have believed it had I not witnessed it first hand, but PSUs can evidently go bad. Post operation, I took apart the hx1000 for fun and alI could see was that it was incredibly dusty (like cat hair clumps) inside.

Just thought I'd share.

yes, power supplies go bad. Motherboard failure is the primary reason not to use the hardware RAID.

But, I have switched from P55 to P67 board and the raid 0 setup was fine.

Interesting you mention mobo failure and hardware raid...

Before the Rampage III in my sig, I was running a Rampage II. I cant remember how I did it, lose screw, something like that, but I blew the Rampage II. Toasted it. It wouldnt take power, just black.

Now, this is long long long after they stopped selling the Rampage II new. Couldnt even find them on Ebay. In fact, even Rampage IIIs (same X58 chipset and raid controller) were long out of production. Was still running the same drive setup in Raids, so was panicking on how to get access to my data (had nothing backed up!)

Managed to find a NEW, in box (no shit, really!) Rampage III extreme on ebay. Bought it. Dropped all my old components in and fired it up. Smooth as silk. Booted like there was never any change. Win 8 found a new controller or two, but that's it. Worked perfectly. Wanted the Rampage III Extreme Black edition, but they were (and still are) crazy prices on ebay. 499 USD?!

You would think I have learned my lesson about mobo raid, but I still run it and have NOTHING backed up!

Last edited:
057bomb_468x454.jpg

Last edited:
Strange happenings, wonder what happened back there.

I run my HX1000 with at least 5 x 120mm fans for the last few months, OK so far.

Actually, fans consume only a few watts each, so it's one of those components that don't really load the PSU.

Most people skip over a power supply when cleaning a pc. That is the first thing I clean with air when starting.

Best post of 2013 goes to "jasonorland88"

Strange happenings, wonder what happened back there.

I run my HX1000 with at least 5 x 120mm fans for the last few months, OK so far.

Good point.

I never, not even once, blew out with compressed air the internals of the PSU. And it was filthy with hairballs when I took it apart post mortem.

And to the dude who thinks plugging 5 FANS into a this PSU actually loads it...

Do you know what a fan even pulls watt wise? Basically nothing.

Ok, so I had Corsair HX1000 powering system in sig.

Actually, I had it for several years (guessing I bought it in 2010) and it powered a couple of variations of my system.

I took apart the hx1000 for fun and alI could see was that it was incredibly dusty (like cat hair clumps) inside.

Just thought I'd share.

That power supply has a 5 year warranty. Well...Had.

Have you tried the PSU on a circuit that has no other loads on it, which should cause the PSU's fuse to blow before the circuit breaker does.

I suspect a short in the high voltage part of the PSU, such as the diode bridge, the MOSFET in the power factor correction circuit, or a pair of MOSFETs in the inverter.

Back