Corsair HX1000 1000W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Amazon had these on sale for $50 off a few weeks ago. The price is the only real knock on it and if they can do that again it becomes a really good buy.

I only just replaced my HX1000W which has served me since late 08, and I recall the review here was a significant factor in me selecting the unit. About 7 years in the fan started making noise, and flipping the unit upside down quieted it down for about 18 months. I replaced it for my new build, but I bet if I was inclined to change out the fan it would still be perfectly fine. Great review, but the market has a lot more quality competition now so I can understand the silver award.

I will say this for Corsair PSUs, they are built to last. I've got an AX850 (that's the 1st gen unit - not the 860 that followed) that's about to have its 6th birthday, and an HX520 that dates back almost 10 years. Both are still working perfectly, no issues whatsoever. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Regardless of review I won't be trusting corsair

RMi1000 I have, killed 2 GPUs 4 MBs 3 CPUs.

1 Sata cable in = boots fine
2nd sata cable, crazy high pitch squeal and quick power burst then off....ends up frying the MB and CPU etc. Really really odd behavior, did I mention 2nd sata cable isn't plugged in to anything

not a mix and match of sata cables either.

Maybe I missed it in a different review, but what's the technical reason for the inline capacitors? Some sort of buffering or smoothing for high-current devices?

I think it would have been nice if Corsair shaved off 2~3cm on the length of the PSU by modifying the component layout a bit.

I know that Silverstone has a 1000W that is only 160mm long, so it is certainly possible.

i dont know i would ding it for 0.41% off rating clearly in any measurement there will be error and id be willing to give any PSU +/-1% at lest

and it ends up better then min at 20% load and 50% load which is more real anyway if it can still hit 90% with say 70% load id be happy with it

My local Microcenter has a whole shelf filled with mostly these kw units. They are all refurbished. The old corsair PSU's were ok. Those I would not touch with a ten foot stick. Will take cooler master over pretty much anything except the old white 1200 W pc power and cooling.

Regardless of review I won't be trusting corsair

RMi1000 I have, killed 2 GPUs 4 MBs 3 CPUs.

1 Sata cable in = boots fine
2nd sata cable, crazy high pitch squeal and quick power burst then off....ends up frying the MB and CPU etc. Really really odd behavior, did I mention 2nd sata cable isn't plugged in to anything

not a mix and match of sata cables either.

So base on a single sample size is how you determine an entire company is trust-worthy or not?

Well this is all well and good, BUT, most (platinum and some gold) 1Kw power supplies (and above) are all out of stock at major online retailers right now. Miners perhaps? Whatever the case, my new PC build is on hold because of it.

Back