Corsair HS1A headset poor cable quality!

Haiku214

[H]ard|Gawd
As you can see from the pic below, my HS1A cable is coiling like crazy and breaking apart! I've only been using this headset for 2 months. I take good care of all my stuff but this thing is just hopeless. Straightening the cable does not work as it will just go back to its coil position. I wonder if any of you guys have experienced the same problem.

20120127_002210.jpg

You know, I've had this issue with every single headset I've ever had. I used to think it was due to my room being too cold in the winter or each time I took the headset(s) off and placed them down I unknowingly was twisting the cord and only making the issue worse but I swear, whether it's cheapo 5.1 headsets like turtle beach HPA2's or my sennheiser PC 350's it always happens sooner or later. :confused:

Two months or so using mine and the cable is the same as the day I pulled it out of the box.

It might be the fabric actually. I have had two or three headphones, one of them the monoprice iems, with this type of fabric cover and they sometimes do this. It is the fabric adhering to itself and then binding up. Really tough to untangle. It only happens sometimes. I guess that you could call it a defect.

I prefer slick, plastic/rubber like cover over this fuzzy fabric every time.

Same headset here, but haven't ever had tangling that severe. And I've had mine a lot longer than 2 months. Bad batch? I keep about a meter of mine constantly wrapped up to reduce tangles (its one really freaking long cable).

I tried to RMA but found out that I need to pay shipping since I live in Canada. It might cost around $25...I got this brand new for $40...

I'll see if I can blow dry out the wires as I suspect it's the winter temperature that's making the wires tangle.

I am having the exact same issue haiku. Its incredibly annoying and makes the headset near useless. Ive set up an RMA with corsair, but its frustrating to have to pay for shipping on a near new headset just to get one that will probably have the same problem.

WOULD NOT BUY AGAIN

I dumped the HS1A and bought an audiophile headphone (no mic). The Beyer Dynamic DT 990Pro is better in every single way....well of course since it's more expensive :) I might probably just get a mic clip for voice chat.

Gaming headsets are junk.
First, thank you for you contribution. Second, gaming headsets are not junk. For those of us who aren't audiophiles or don't use them that often, headsets like the HS1 aren't that bad. And when they go on sale for $40 or less, it's hard to complain, even when their cables get all tangled. ;)

These are not junk. Not great but certainly not junk. The cable issue is more of a poor choice of material covering the wire than anything else. They can change it relatively easily.

These are not junk. Not great but certainly not junk. The cable issue is more of a poor choice of material covering the wire than anything else. They can change it relatively easily.
Agreed. And not to forget, weird wire sheathing aside, the sound quality out of these is quite good! :)

When you have a long cable, you need to be very careful of how you grab your headphones from their resting position, put them on your head, take them off, and put them back to their resting position.

Think about it: if you twist them 180 degrees to put them on your head, and then you twist them back 180 degrees when you take them off and put them back to rest in the same position they were, there's no harm done. If you habitually and consistently turn the headphones a certain way when you pick them up, you will tangle that cord very quickly. Motion 1 to put them on, reverse motion 1 to put them back. Cable only tangles when you consistently twist it a certain direction.

Consider how you move your headphones every time you move them and your cord will never be troublesome.

When you have a long cable, you need to be very careful of how you grab your headphones from their resting position, put them on your head, take them off, and put them back to their resting position.

Think about it: if you twist them 180 degrees to put them on your head, and then you twist them back 180 degrees when you take them off and put them back to rest in the same position they were, there's no harm done. If you habitually and consistently turn the headphones a certain way when you pick them up, you will tangle that cord very quickly. Motion 1 to put them on, reverse motion 1 to put them back. Cable only tangles when you consistently twist it a certain direction.

Consider how you move your headphones every time you move them and your cord will never be troublesome.

The thing is, among all the headphones (even other wired devices) that I've used, only the HS1A is having coiling issues. It just goes to show that this headset is the problem.

It shouldn't be that bad if RMA shipping is free from Canada to US. The headset was a gift and now I need to pay $25 to get a replacement and wait for a month. This only cost $40 brand new.

The thing is, among all the headphones (even other wired devices) that I've used, only the HS1A is having coiling issues. It just goes to show that this headset is the problem.

It shouldn't be that bad if RMA shipping is free from Canada to US. The headset was a gift and now I need to pay $25 to get a replacement and wait for a month. This only cost $40 brand new.
Honestly, I'd just try to deal with it. Especially they're trying to screw you out of $35 of your hard earned cash monies. My suggestion: try to straighten it out as best you can, wrap up a large section of it so it is permanently coiled up and zipped together with like a velcro strap, and enjoy your free headphones :) And if you get some spare $$ in the future, you can also put that $25 you would put towards shipping a new set of HS1s, which will likely have the same problem, on another set more to your taste.

I dumped the HS1A and bought an audiophile headphone (no mic). The Beyer Dynamic DT 990Pro is better in every single way....well of course since it's more expensive :) I might probably just get a mic clip for voice chat.

My HS1A started having sound issues in one of the ears, like a part of the sound being muted, and apparently this is an issue with all of them as I've seen threads on the Corsair support forums with the same thing.

So I did what you did and bought a DT 990 Pro to go with a Soundblaster Titanium HD sound card and have not looked back. The bass is cleaner with more meat to it and the sound stage is just as good. Awesome for gaming.

But now I want the Sennheiser HD650 but I just got the DT990's and my sound card can't handle it so....I need to watch myself or I'll end up buying separate DACs and AMPs, >_>.

My HS1A started having sound issues in one of the ears, like a part of the sound being muted, and apparently this is an issue with all of them as I've seen threads on the Corsair support forums with the same thing.

So I did what you did and bought a DT 990 Pro to go with a Soundblaster Titanium HD sound card and have not looked back. The bass is cleaner with more meat to it and the sound stage is just as good. Awesome for gaming.

But now I want the Sennheiser HD650 but I just got the DT990's and my sound card can't handle it so....I need to watch myself or I'll end up buying separate DACs and AMPs, >_>.

I have a X-Fi soundcard as well to drive my DT990 Pro 250 Ohms and although it has lower volume output compared to 32 Ohm headphones, it is still very capable. My volume is at 75% on the Creative Console Launcher. Apps/Games are at 50%. So yeah it really isn't bad at all.

I did my research and found out that the DT990 Pro ($180, for some very odd reason it's cheaper here in Canada) is actually slightly better compared to the HD 598 ($300). Now for the HD 650, you can search online and see how it compares to the DT990 Pro. In general, people say that the DT990 Pro is better for Rock/Pop/Movies/Gaming. The HD 650 is more laid back and flat.

DT990 Pro http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-PRO-Headphones-Review-715.htm

HD 650 http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headphones-Review-878.htm

So both are totally different. It depends on what you use your headphones for. Also, the DT990 Pro is $180 while the HD 650 is $500 :) For the price, the DT990 Pro really can't be beat even if we add AKG's or Audio Technica to the mix. I can boldly say that they are the BEST headphones at the $200 -$300 range.

Last edited:
MY HS1's are just as good as the day I got them. The cord is still nice and straight. I don't know what you're doing to yours...

Back