Corsair HS1 USB Gaming Headset Review @ [H]

They are way more comfortable for me than my G35 or the G930 but the mic issue is a show stopper for me.

I've played around a bit more and I almost think it's codec related. For some reason I don't have any issue in DOD:S but in CS:S, 50% of the people hear the feedback and the rest don't. I finally just uninstalled them. Tired of hearing people yell at me that my mic sucks. Returning to Microcenter and I may pick up the analog version.

Did you try the solution mentioned a few posts earlier? It did appear to work for me, so it may be a good idea to try if you like everything else about the headphones.

I purchased the HS1's two days ago and find them to sound quite well. They are my first full sized headphones, so my review can't be too in depth. I am very pleased with the comfort and sound. After slightly adjusting the EQ, I am pleased to have found a setting more to my liking.

Another reviewer for the HS1 had a very similar graph of the EQ settings found in this review. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HS1-Headset-Review/1143 It wasn't a recommended graph. They were only showing the features.

This image made me a little curious. So I went back to the HardOCP review and I also found the same graph in corsair's software on my desktop. The highlighted setting is "Bass" in my picture, where the highlighted setting in HardOCP's submission is "Custom".

"So after some tweaking of the EQ, we found this to be the best setting to listen to music." ---- Earl Keim, HardOCP

If the HardOCP reviewer tweaked and tuned the graph and finally came to a conclusion that his custom EQ setting was, accidentally identical, to the factory "Bass" preset, then I am really surprised. Personally, that factory "Bass" setting sounded muddy. But, I am new to audio equipment reviews and shouldn't submit great praise or damning judgment on a product in a category that I have no expertise.

Factory "Bass" EQ setting.

hs1_bass.jpg

"So after some tweaking of the EQ, we found this to be the best setting to listen to music." ---- Earl Keim, HardOCP

1286297642A9qbNtMXLe_4_1_l.png

Last edited:
I agree that setting sounds a bit muddy. My low frequencies are similarly set, but I boosted the high frequencies a bit.

Corsair should offer a USB plug in, say on a cable so it wouldn't break of the USB connector, that you could stick any headphone into. It seems that most of the comments are "good at this price point" and that the #1 solution to this is to be able to use your own flavor of headphone. Honestly many makers have their own flavor of sound, and users seek that flavor out. Straight on gamers could get their $100 set and be happy. And those who are looking to throw on a $200+ set of cans could get their dolby headphone and sound profiling (which is apparently extremely well done by Corsair) for their preferred cans.

I think most of those dissatisfied (not all but most) are coming from higher end headphones. Corsair already did an analog HS1. Now they just need to offer the Dolby Headphone box and they'd have covered both ends, those wanting to use their own sound card and those wanting to use their own preferred cans.

Just got these myself, I like them so far, but I don't feel like I'm getting the positional audio I want in games.

Right now, I'm using them in 7.1 mode, dolby headphone on, and the DSP set to the middle sized room. Is this correct for Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2, ect?

(I have 7.1 set in starcraft, but I can't find any option for surround in Bad Company 2)

Be sure to try the headphones in 5.1 also and switch the virtual speaker mode on and off and on again to find which works for you better.

The newest games today are not unified in their sound setups. Although, EAX was extremely proprietary, I did like that you could either select EAX or not, in order to tell if it was working.

Lastly, with games like Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 be sure to alternate between headphones and 5.1, and match that in the corsair output option box.

I'm in need of a set of headphones with a mic, so I'm going to give these a try.

All the ones I had been looking at (including these) have mixed comments all over the place, so there's no real "best pick" based solely on ratings and reviews, but these are in the right price range and seem to have features I would use.

Crossing my fingers.....

EDIT - Got em and LOVE them.

Last edited:
So there IS a workaround/fix for the mic problems now that is verified as working? I'm thinking about picking these up for WoW but I was getting kinda worried seeing all these people reporting microphone problems.

So my HS-1s broke tonight. Something must've happened in the wire because I'm getting no sound out of the left earpiece at all :(

Guess I'll start the RMA process, sigh. I just got them in October too :(

Got my replacement headset today <3 Thanks Corsair for the fairly quick turnaround. I'm so glad to be rid of that junk Creative Wireless crap I was using in the mean time.

i got the analog version and was very disappointed by the sound. i got a deal on a broken shure srh750 and put the drivers into the hs1a and now i have real bass (and mids, and trebles).
I love the build on these but I am just sick and tired of the crappy speakers all these 'gaming' headsets get.

I'm actually kind of surprised at the stellar review and gold award of this product.

I found the sound quality so poor compared to my Beyerdynamic DT770 pro's that I can barely use this damn thing even for games, as it throws me off so much. Music and movies just sound terrible!

I wound up giving my set away and buying a standalone mic for my beyerdynamics to game with instead.

i got the analog version and was very disappointed by the sound. i got a deal on a broken shure srh750 and put the drivers into the hs1a and now i have real bass (and mids, and trebles).
I love the build on these but I am just sick and tired of the crappy speakers all these 'gaming' headsets get.
Are they that bad? The HS1 reviews I've been reading all claim that the sound is pretty good and I would imagine that the HS1A uses the same drivers...

Are they that bad? The HS1 reviews I've been reading all claim that the sound is pretty good and I would imagine that the HS1A uses the same drivers...
I'm guessing ourfpshero didn't try to tweak the EQ settings much.

Just picked these up locally for $79, they sounded fine to me out of the box but after using the EQ settings in the review I noticed a big difference on music, tested the microphone on Steam and it sounded clear and loud and no real background noise at all (I have 6 120mm fans at full speed about 3 feet away)

Why does the little volume control thing get so warm?

I'm sure sooner or later I'm going to have wire problems with this headset (I use headphones like people drink water) like the previous 3 I've owned though it seems like the wire going into the headphones is better then other headsets I've owned...more rubber around it.
On headsets I've owned in the past the wires going into the left ear always somehow get loose and I lose sound out of 1 ear, I hope these last longer then the last 2 pair of Creative Fatality's I had

I guess it depends on what you are used to.

There is absolutely no comparison what so ever to my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones. (A $175 80ohm 'mid impedance' circumaural closed set of pro-sumer headphones) Even with on board sound, my beyerdynamics sound is leaps and bounds better (to the point of disgust with the HS1's).

However, if you are used to lower end headphones, you might be OK with them.

It's one of those where once you have experienced what really good headphones can sound like you can never go back, but if you are blissfully unaware of how good it can get, you won't even notice.

I used a set of early 90's era Sony MDR-CD250 circumaural digital reference headphones which I thought were pretty good at the time (they sounded a tad better than the HS1's from memory, but its been a while), but when I switched to the Beyerdynamics two years ago from the same source, it was as if I had been listening to music with cotton balls in my ears all these years. I was floored.

Either way, now that I am used to the Beyerdynamics I can not play counter-strike with the HS1's because the sound sounds so off to me that it throws my game off completely. I could probably get used to it over time, but I have chosen not to. Now I just game with a separate clip-on mic instead.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry for bumping this...

Purchased on 4/6/2011, 3 months later the sound drops and echos when moving the wire leading from the volume box to the headset, I expect failure but after 3 months of moderately heavy use, yeah right.

I think from now on I am going to stay away from headsets that have a volume control built into the cable, it is convenient but its garbage at the same time, it moves a lot which means its going to get loose and fail, I could try to solder the wires but I shouldn't have to after 3 months, this has happened with the last 2 headsets I've owned

Don't even think I'll bother with the warranty

Purchased on 4/6/2011, 3 months later the sound drops and echos when moving the wire leading from the volume box to the headset, I expect failure but after 3 months of moderately heavy use, yeah right.

I think from now on I am going to stay away from headsets that have a volume control built into the cable, it is convenient but its garbage at the same time, it moves a lot which means its going to get loose and fail, I could try to solder the wires but I shouldn't have to after 3 months, this has happened with the last 2 headsets I've owned

Yes absolutely you should. I had the same thing happen to me, they rma'd instantly. This is a known issue. I am expecting mine back with a week or so.

That would be a mistake on your part. Corsair is a good company and it will exchange your headset. Not exchanging it would be the same as throwing away money.
Exchange it and keep gaming.......;)

I don't have a proof of purchase, no box, all I have if the headset, will they still take it?

The headset hasnt even been available for a year yet. The receipt shouldnt matter one bit.

Right, I did find the box and all that jazz so we shall see...normally I'd toss them but I received wonderful advice

And so begins the "we haven't received your package yet" meanwhile the tracking # shows it was delivered at their address 2 days ago...

This is why I trash broken pieces of shit and just buy a different pair rather then deal with RMA's, waste of my time

Then again since it takes these guys like 1 and a half days to reply to an email maybe the package is sitting in their office and they just haven't gotten around to it because I'm sure they have a ton of RMA's coming in

Well I have to say I had a completely opposite experience than vasta did.

My HS1 had a hardware failer where the sound went crazy, I call their 888 number spoke to tech support within 3 mins, they agreed it was a failure, authorized the rma instantly and shipped out a replacement unit the same day they received mine. I was unhappy with the sound of the replacement unit and asked that I could get an HS1A instead so i could utilize my soundcard (in sig) and they said np at all and offered to send along pre-paid shipping vis e-mail and already shipped the replacement headset which I will be getting today.

Nothing is perfect and if given a chance to fix things I would rather deal with a company like Corsair that tries their best to make good on their product.

Hey guys, I have kinda a noob question

I am about to pull the trigger on the HS1 for $39, but I have the MSI P55 GD65 motherboard with Realtek® ALC889 which says it has a 7.1 surround sound. Does that mean if I get a analog gaming headset it will be better choice than the HS1?
BTW I am not planning on getting a sound card, so if it is not better I will stick with the HS1

Thxs

If you are going to quote me or make fun of me, at least quote my words. Do not use them as your own.

I got my replacement pair on Monday, thank god, I was more impatient then anything because they are headphones and I need them

Now I wonder, does this new set come with a totally new 2 year warranty because odds are in 3 months the exact same thing is going to happen, I guess since it probably doesn't in 3 months it'll still be under the original warranty

I got my replacement pair on Monday, thank god, I was more impatient then anything because they are headphones and I need them

Now I wonder, does this new set come with a totally new 2 year warranty because odds are in 3 months the exact same thing is going to happen, I guess since it probably doesn't in 3 months it'll still be under the original warranty

I was told by their customer service rep that the warranty starts new @ 2yrs.

....I am about to pull the trigger on the HS1 for $39,...

I missed this special, but I ordered them last week for 48 bucks. Just received them today. So far so good. I think they are pretty damn decent value for 50 bucks.

I thought of getting the HS1A, but honestly I'm really tired of having to swap my speaker outputs and headphone outputs, so I opted for the USB version. Glad I did.

I tried the EQ settings in the review (thanks for those btw), however, I actually prefer the default EQ settings. I guess its really just a matter of taste. Music and Movies sound great with the 5.1 channel and dolby headphone DSP settings on. Just like the review said.

Now its time to try it out with games.

Sorry for the bump

My replacement headset was delivered on Monday, 08/08/2011 at 1:47 P.M.

2 months, 19 days...or 3 months and yet again audio channels are just beginning to drop due to the wire going into the headset...

This headset is only good for 3 months if you use it heavily, though treat them as if they are a 6 month old kid...I do not understand

Here's another bump.

I just got two pairs of these for the wife and I. We both use these for work, but I use it for games as well. The positional audio is pretty decent, although from the hype I read, I don't think it quite lives up to the expectations that was put out there. I do enjoy them though, they are comfy and they do separate audio decently well.

I've been reading some complaints at the Corsair forums though, and I have the same problem with the mic. It's supposed to have two mics, one where you speak into and the other on the other side to help "cancel" noise out. Unfortunately, it sounds more like it's just grabbing both sounds and adding them together. The mic picks up practically everything and anything, and often with more clarity than my speech.

The fix from the last page does not help. Earlier I guess the problem was that the mic wasn't picking up anything. I have the complete opposite problem.

I know it's not just an issue with my computer and/or headset either, as my wife's headset has the exact same problem on a different computer.

I missed this special, but I ordered them last week for 48 bucks. Just received them today. So far so good. I think they are pretty damn decent value for 50 bucks.

I thought of getting the HS1A, but honestly I'm really tired of having to swap my speaker outputs and headphone outputs, so I opted for the USB version. Glad I did.

I tried the EQ settings in the review (thanks for those btw), however, I actually prefer the default EQ settings. I guess its really just a matter of taste. Music and Movies sound great with the 5.1 channel and dolby headphone DSP settings on. Just like the review said.

Now its time to try it out with games.

Well, I think I am now having the same problem as Vasta. I can hear certain channels but not others. For instance, I can hear system sounds, audio from games, music in media player but I cannot hear audio from youtube videos.

Anyone else experience this? Have any tips?

Well, I think I am now having the same problem as Vasta. I can hear certain channels but not others. For instance, I can hear system sounds, audio from games, music in media player but I cannot hear audio from youtube videos.

Anyone else experience this? Have any tips?

Throw them out and get something good. The thin wires break around the volume control.

Back