Corsair H80i on 4670k @4.5ghz

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
After all the discussion about some backplate issues on the H series coolers...here is where I am at. The cpu is NOT delidded. Case is the Fractal R4 with (1) 140mm top exhaust, (1) 140mm front intake, (1) 120mm bottom intake. The H80i is set as intake from outside case air, then it gets sucked right out the top exhaust. The bottom 120mm was to deliver the R9 290 some fresh cool air. The Fractal case fans are all running on it's built in fan controller at full speed. You can hear the rig running, but it is very soft, unoffensive, and no whining from the Corsair fans since I keep them under 1600rpm at max temp using a custom curve. You can also see the R9 290 fan is at 50% at 85c, also very quiet, I have the MSI Gaming 4gb with the Twin Frozer cooler. The case itself is simply awesome and quiet, as well as good looking, I removed the top fan cage to allow unobstructed air in since I only run an SSD for the OS and 2 other normal drives.

Prior to adding the 2-3mm thick washers on the backplate and the bottom 120mm fan, I was seeing load temps on the cpu of 90c and gpu temps of 93c, using the exact setup you see running in the pic, which is Prime95 Torture test with small FFT's to load the cpu, and RTHDRBL with all the eye candy on and 16x FSAA for 30+ minutes. I can also see that adding the washers improved pressure to the IHS and got more heat into the water since the water temp rose up 3c-4c. Ambient temp is fairly warm since outside temps in south texas right now are in the 99-102f range, and my house is at 77f-78f.

Now, cpu is max of @82c-83c and gpu ~85c. A very nice drop on the gpu because it is now getting some fresh cool air right into the fans. With actual gaming, temps on the cpu are MUCH lower of course, while the gpu is right around 85 still using Metro Last Light at 1920x1080 with settings on "very high".

Needless to say, I am thrilled with such a powerful and quiet gaming rig.

4.5load.jpg

Back