Corsair H80 doesn't fit on Asus M4A78T-E

ShadowStriker

[H]ard|Gawd
Soo... On Corsair site it says it'll fit on any motherboard that supports AM3, but to my surprise, after I bought the H80 it doesn't come with any backplate or something that will fit on my motherboard. The holes for the backplate on the motherboard is in a rectangle shape, but the backplate from Corsair is a square. Are there backplates I can buy that let me mount this?

it should fit, the mounting on am3 is the same as am2+/am2/939/754. i only know of a couple boards asus used a custom mounting setup on but i don't think thats one of them.

the backplate and mounting for the h80 is universal though since there are cut outs in the mount to fit between 1156/55 and am3/am2.

Last edited:
It uses the plastic mounting brackets for the stock AMD fan, no need for any back plate.

It uses the plastic mounting brackets for the stock AMD fan, no need for any back plate.

Yeah.. >_< I found the "clips" that attach to the retention bracket, wasn't in the baggy with all the other screws and stuff. :( Stupid me.

haha, Don't worry, I took the plastic brackets off before I read the instructions and realized I screwed up! :D

How do I know if its flat or not? My temps are at 80C and keep rising, but I turned my machine off...

When I look in my BIOS, I can see that the pump is going (H80 plugged into CPU fan) and it goes and gives weird RPMs, then it just stops going any readings, but I can hear the pump going (the whum whum whum sound) and I have it on high setting too.

Somethings definitely off then, you shouldn't be seeing temps that high. I have 3 Corsairs and they are all almost completely silent. Possibly you got one of the bad batches they had a while back?!? Even with all other fans off in my system, I can't hear the pump making any noise whatsoever on ANY of my Corsairs. I'd check to be sure you have the plate seated and good contact, if it is, then possibly RMA/Return it.

Go into the Bios and make sure that the fan header that you have the corsair unit plugged into is not being monitored or controlled by the Bios, that way it will be putting out a constant 12V.

Somethings definitely off then, you shouldn't be seeing temps that high. I have 3 Corsairs and they are all almost completely silent. Possibly you got one of the bad batches they had a while back?!? Even with all other fans off in my system, I can't hear the pump making any noise whatsoever on ANY of my Corsairs. I'd check to be sure you have the plate seated and good contact, if it is, then possibly RMA/Return it.

idk I just bought it this week. >_<

Go into the Bios and make sure that the fan header that you have the corsair unit plugged into is not being monitored or controlled by the Bios, that way it will be putting out a constant 12V.

I changed the setting in the BIOS to disabled for the "Asus CPU Q-Fan" feature, and I don't think it works. I couldn't even get CoreTemp running before my computer shut down.

Edit: Oh, and how tight should tighten the screws on the cooler and how do I make sure that it is flat on the CPU so it doesn't create an air pocket?

Edit 2: Is it possible that 2-pin connector is reversed? In BIOS, sometimes I see the RPM in red and not in the standard black.

Last edited:
As for the "tightness" of the mounting screws. You don't need them that tight. Your not trying to seal something together. Just make good contact.

When I ran my H50 I had all of the fan controlling off in the BIOS and just let it run at the max. If you can, hook a regular fan up to it and see how fast it spins. If it's spinning slow then you know you need to change it.

lol So when I tried to plug in the 2-pin to the molex the pins came out of the molex case T_T I went back to the store and apparently they need to test it to make sure its defective... I didn't know that pins that fell out of their case didn't count as defective.

I dunno how tight its supposed to be, but I usually turn mine down hand tight, then give it a quarter of turn with a screw driver, never had a problem doing that yet.

Nice. My son's 1055T sits at 46c under full load with an H-60 on it, again, I can't see why people still use one of the air monstrosity's yet.

How do I know if its flat or not? My temps are at 80C and keep rising, but I turned my machine off...

When I look in my BIOS, I can see that the pump is going (H80 plugged into CPU fan) and it goes and gives weird RPMs, then it just stops going any readings, but I can hear the pump going (the whum whum whum sound) and I have it on high setting too.

Don't use the CPU header, that is trying to control the rpm. Run the pump at 100% all the time by hooking it up directly to the power supply. I am pretty sure the instructions tell you to not to use the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

Last edited:

don't plug it into the cpu fan header, plug it into the system fan header. if you have no choice but to use the cpu fan header, turn off cool 'n quiet or Qfan(err i think thats what asus is still calling it's fan controller option).

Thanks for the info! Turned QFan off and its all good with my new one. Although it blares for a bit, then gradually quiets down. Heh.

Back