Corsair H70 vs H80?

sasquatch182

Limp Gawd
I was going to get a H70 for a I7-2600k but notice newegg is out of stock. However, they had the H80.

I can't find a review comparing the two. What's the difference? Any thoughts?

h80 purportedly has better fans.
However, it runs them at different speeds than the h70, and therefore likely to have different noise levels.

H70 - 2000 rpm stock, 1600rpm with supplied resistors
h80 - 2500, 2000, 1300 rpm by using the button mounted on the water block portion.

Therefore, it is my speculation that it will under-perform or be on par with the h70 at low speed, with lower noise, then over perform in both medium and high speed modes with a ton more noise.

The upside (and it is a juicy upside) is that you can set fan speeds on the h80 just by clicking a button, where you have to switch resistors for the h70. Therefore your cooling and noise levels can change on demand. Furthermore, the compatibility with corsair link means you can control fan speeds from your computer instead of having to have a hole in your case to reach in and click the button.

And the second, minor upside, is the easier mounting system. I'm not going to lie, mounting the h70 is annoying.

I'm going to wait for some solid reviews, hopefully from [h], and if they do better than the h70, i'll be selling my h70 for an 80.

the juicy upside isn't very useful when you have to take the side panel off to push that button...

You might as well just put the fans on a front bay mounted fan controller for true ease of access.

The H80 was a breeze to install. CPU temps in my case improved by around 5C-6C on the "medium" performance level over the Thermalright TRUE . Not a bad upgrade but don't expect wonders over top of the line air cooling (Silver Arrow, NH-D14, etc.).

If you can, i would prefer the h100 since it's only $10 dollars more but you have dual 120mm rad.

If you can fit the H100, sure.

Personally, I have an H70, and on the hot days we've been having lately, I wouldn't mind only having to push a button to switch fan speeds. Since I'd have to pull out the resistor and rewire my fans (the resistor cable is also a splitter, which is good for me), it'd be a bit more of a chore, which is why I haven't bothered to do it.

If performance is similar and you don't want to wait, go ahead and get the H80, I don't think you'll lay awake at night wondering if you should have got the H70.

I just got back from Microcenter and I compared the specs on the boxes of the H70 and H80 side by side. I noticed the radiator on the H70 is bigger if the specs are correct. The H70's radiator measures 120mm x 152mm x 48mm while the radiator on the H80 measures 120mm x 152mm x 38mm. Wouldn't that give the H70 the advantage with equal fans?
The radiator on the Antec Kuhler 920 measured in at 153mm x 120mm x 47mm for reference.

I just got back from Microcenter and I compared the specs on the boxes of the H70 and H80 side by side. I noticed the radiator on the H70 is bigger if the specs are correct. The H70's radiator measures 120mm x 152mm x 48mm while the radiator on the H80 measures 120mm x 152mm x 38mm. Wouldn't that give the H70 the advantage with equal fans?
The radiator on the Antec Kuhler 920 measured in at 153mm x 120mm x 47mm for reference.

You might want to check out the Hardware Canucks H60 review. It actually has the H50, 60, and 70 and uses several different tests with the same fans. Its the only site that I know of to have done that. Coincidence?

Back