Corsair H70 CPU Cooler - First Install @ [H]

Looking forward to seeing reviews of this with comparisons to the H50, the Eco 120/240 and air coolers.

Would like to see if I should have waited a bit longer to give Corsair more money.

As an aside...

Just built a system and was looking into these all in one liquid cpu coolers because I value being able to utilize all my ram slots.

Was waiting on the Corsair 600T case, and was even considering an H50.

However, I ended up with a Coolermaster Storm Sniper and a CoolIT Eco 240 after reading HardOCP review.

The Eco 240 is mounted on the inside top of the case as dual exhaust. I am happy with my decision though, 4.0ghz 930 at 1.264v with load temperatures at around 70C with 12gigs of ram. Could go higher but I'm good for now heh.

A couple weeks late on the H70 and looks to be a couple months late on the 600T for me.

But I do seem to remember someone dropping a hint about an H50 revision a while ago ;)

Someone else asked this on page 1 but it didn't get answered. How's the pump noise vs the H50?

I personally never had a problem with the pump noise on the H50, so I might be a bad person to ask. None of the guys around here have any complaints - I think it's a bit quieter, subjectively, but it certainly isn't significantly different either way in my opinion.

I like this unit. My CPU will boot at 3.8 ghz on air but it's not stable. I've been eager to go with a good water cooler but I have (irrational...) anxiety over the water cooler technology. The H70 may fit nicely in my new Antec 300 case...especially if I can get my CPU to run at 4 ghz. :confused:

Yea I am thinking that, you might get the CPU a few degrees cooler with air from outside, but that could heat other components up. Honestly if I was setting this up depending on the case I would set it to blow out like Kyle has it. Now if the case is like, a NZXT Vulcan with the huge basically Open side panel then I don't think it would make as big of a difference.

If [H]ardocp has time it'd be pretty sweet to get a video card temp, control(as it is with a normal Heatsink and fan) then with the H70 as Kyle has it now, and then with the recommended Corsair setup.

I suspect a Catch 22 situation for that extra few degrees, might as well have the CPU operate at a few degrees more and not everything else.

Any clue on how much this unit will cost?

Kyle...

Appreciate you going to the trouble of giving us a first look at this H70. Although, I actually was enjoying the case pics as much as the H70...Nice case. I took a look at it on Newegg, I'm mulling over the FT02B...

Any differences in sound/pitch of the pump? Quiet?

Best,

Liquid Cool

P.S. Redbeard, you guys never fail to deliver in my opinon. Any smaller cases coming along in the line up? Don't forget the SFF guys...:).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that you guys used the fans to exhaust. I couldn't see using my rear fans for intake not only would that kill airflow and cause turbulence but would just heat up my already hot running GTX280 and HR-03 combo. Prime is also a great choice imo.

My only gripe is at the $110 price point I would look into a real water cooling setup that would perform much better than the H70.

So who is going to be the first to rip one of these apart? I want to see the differences in the new pump setup. If anything, the H70 looks like it might fit on a video card with the proper mounting hardware. I just want to know if we can expect this power head to be better than the one on the H50. It is certainly smaller. I wonder if that equates to less performance.

So who is going to be the first to rip one of these apart? I want to see the differences in the new pump setup. If anything, the H70 looks like it might fit on a video card with the proper mounting hardware. I just want to know if we can expect this power head to be better than the one on the H50. It is certainly smaller. I wonder if that equates to less performance.

yes break new hardware!!! isnt that always fun? lets see what is inside....

The H50 won't fit in an FT02, but the "tanks" on the H70 radiator look smaller...wonder if it would fit? I learned the hard way not to assume that RV02 dimensions and specs apply to the FT02...

Last edited:
If I pick one of these up, I was thinking about making my side panel fan an intake for the radiator, and have another fan on the inside of the case for a push/pull method on the rad. That way, I still have 2 fans on the back of my case as an exhaust, so all the hot air is being pulled out.

That's another little scheme some of you may have not thought about, and it may be worth considering.

Since your name is Baller so I assume you are in fact a baller and got tons of money you should do it! :D

Kyle, Thank you for this "pre-review". I always like getting a heads-up and then digging into the full review later.

I am looking at a new build right now (I like the Raven but will probably go with the Phantom) and the "H70 vs Air cooling" is one of the questions I had; so your review will help me decide on my purchase.

What I am interested in is how competitive the top air coolers (such as the Spire Eclipse II) are in comparison to the H70. It won't get the results a WC system will...but it is not meant to at its price point.

Kyle, Thank you for this "pre-review". I always like getting a heads-up and then digging into the full review later.

I am looking at a new build right now (I like the Raven but will probably go with the Phantom) and the "H70 vs Air cooling" is one of the questions I had; so your review will help me decide on my purchase.

What I am interested in is how competitive the top air coolers (such as the Spire Eclipse II) are in comparison to the H70. It won't get the results a WC system will...but it is not meant to at its price point.

I agree. I'd like to see [H] do some kind of comparison (H70 vs. air). Should be a fun read! :)

Water coolers designed like the H70 may be enough for me to jump on the water cooling bandwagon...finally.

These initial temp readings are well in line with my expectations after seeing pictures of the beast.
With two fans set to "noisy" it does cool a bit better than the H50, but when the fan speed is set to "bearable" it drops behind in cooling performance.

Somebody suggested an apples-to-apples comparison between H50, H70 and ECO 240. Seems like a nice idea. Let's compare how they perform at the same noise level! (My bet would be ECO 240 first, followed by H50 and H70 dead last.)

I also want to see the H50 compared to the H70 with the same 2 fans in a push/pull as that is how I'm running them and on the same case.

We shall call them man-ginas!

I love this place. :)

Very nice preview Kyle thanks.

Kyle, much thanks for the preview!

I also want to see the H50 compared to the H70 with the same 2 fans in a push/pull as that is how I'm running them and on the same case.

I think many of us are H50 owners. For me, though, I'd like to see how the H70 does using only a single fan. Both for noise reasons, and to get a better idea if the bigger rad and new block make up the difference (or does the H70 "require" two fans to get air through the thicker rad).

I am going to do some testing Saturday with some different configs and such when I have time. They will not be review quality tests but just more real world stuff and the deltas I am seeing.

Kyle,

For your temps, did you just run Prime95 or did you load up your Fermi cards with Furmark... I want to see you REAL temps... I want to see how all that hot air being dumped into your case affects your temp readings...

You think that the exit is the best way.... load up that system.... Prime95 AND Furmark and tell me the temps then.... if your system doesn't reboot or crash....

Then maybe you will reconsider turning them around.... after all, your first test of the cooler is missing 800 watts of heat being dumped into your case.... so load those cards up to max temp, then run Prime 95 and tell me that running it as an exhaust port is best....

Then swap the fan's and then swap your front intake to an exhaust and lets see the difference... how cool do you think it will be able to cool when the air in the case is roasty toasty warm then start after running prime 95 and let us know the temps....

Do you understand that research goes into a quality case for the best possible airflow. Setting your rear fan to intake is just going to create a lot of unnecessary turbulence and cause bad airflow and dead spots in the case. How about you put your money where your mouth is and do some testing on different fan configurations yourself? I know that I wouldn't want to dump the heat from the cpu into my case with one less fan to exhaust that heat. I also wouldn't want to create a huge amount of negative airflow (and dust) by making my front fans exhaust.

Looks like it could be a worthwhile upgrade from the h50, not sure if it'll fit in my fortress 2 though, seems a lot bulkier. :(

Wonder if I could get this and mount on one of my side panels and make sort of a side blowhole with the radiator right behind the panel and the fan behind that pushing from the inside outwards?

Wonder if I could get this and mount on one of my side panels and make sort of a side blowhole with the radiator right behind the panel and the fan behind that pushing from the inside outwards?

Sure, but getting that panel off since it would be attached by the tubing to the CPU waterblock might be a chore. If the tubing and case design allows mounting on the right side panel it could be a winner install.

The whole deal with WCing is finding the right place to put the rad taking into consideration the unique situations each case design offers and asthetics. There are significant operational temp improvements in finding a way to feed the rad (or heatsink in air cooling) the coolest air possible.

I can confirm that as well.

Did you have to make any mods to the case? With my FT02 and H50, the radiator's "side tanks" forced the fan over about 1/4", so the screw holes on the fan (or, for that matter, on the radiator) didn't like up with the screw holes on the back of the case. Admittedly simple to fix with a drill or Dremel, but still, some work would be required.

Did you have to make any mods to the case? With my FT02 and H50, the radiator's "side tanks" forced the fan over about 1/4", so the screw holes on the fan (or, for that matter, on the radiator) didn't like up with the screw holes on the back of the case. Admittedly simple to fix with a drill or Dremel, but still, some work would be required.

You must have had your hoses on the left instead of the right then. One "side tank" is wider than the other.

seems most of the people criticizing how kyle set up his h70 don't even understand how the airflow in the ft02 or rv02 works. In the ft02 or rv02, there's no other choice but to make the fans on the h70 exhaust.

seems most of the people criticizing how kyle set up his h70 don't even understand how the airflow in the ft02 or rv02 works. In the ft02 or rv02, there's no other choice but to make the fans on the h70 exhaust.

Most of us that build our own computers have learned through experience how to properly circulate air flow within our cases. Porting "cool air" into the box at the CPU cool would create turbulence within the case thereby adversely affecting the efficient exhaust of hot air.

I suspect that Corsairs recommendation to port air into the case at the CPU would achieve better cooling results for the CPU without consideration of the rest of the components on our boxes.

Last edited:
Is it me or does the H50 seem on par with the H70? H50 stock is one fan right? Adding a second fan to the H50 would shave off almost enough degrees to even things up. I just don't see that much of a difference.

What I do not understand is why you are breaking Kyle's balls so badly over something so petty. The man knows that alot of folks are waiting with anticipation on results from this cooler (as am I) and he is giving us some real world info before the actual full review is done and completed.

I for one will say thank you to Kyle for these bits of information that we get until the review is ready. I have been a member of this site for a long time and have always considered Kyle's reviews fair and very accurate.

the RV02 does come with a mount for a 360 rad to be put over the bottom fans. I suspect it would be possible and maybe even easy to mount the rad down there I will attempt this later.

im really looking forward to some more temps from this as i have a h50 and was considering getting another for the htpc but if its worth it i may just get a h70 for my gaming rig and stick the old h50 in the htpc

I'll bust Kyle's chops some, but for a totally legit reason...

Why you gotta put pictures out there showing off this case? HHmmm? Now I want one. Dammit! lol :D

I keep coming back and checking out how clean it is, I love the layout it just makes alot of sense, and right now if you buy the combo deal on newegg until the 15th with a 1000W sparkle PSU you get about $110 bucks off, $20MIR, and SC2 for free (Comes with that PSU)....so for $319 bucks, this awesome full tower a 1000W PSU, and SC2....I might not be capable of saying no to that....Ignore my poor will power I'll just blame [H]ardocp for making this article... yea that works...

:p

It just occurred to me that after seeing a commercial for this Dyson Bladeless Fan, that it would be cool if someone could apply the physics of its technology of entrainment and inducement to a fan that can fit inside a computer chassis. I wonder if it is a viable solution for noise reduction and moving more CFM's.

Any comments? Redbeard? Oh, I think I just gave Corsair an idea. Ka-Ching!!!! :D:D

I for one have no argument about Kyles preview. Maybe because of everyone's response, in the future don't bother doing them a favor and giving them a heads-up, just wait til your final, in-depth review is done, then you won't have to endure comments such as these two-fold; once for the 'pre-view', and again for the 'official' review.

I will take this opportunity (and I say this with much love :D ) to say that I miss a nice article without any mispellings and poor grammar. Ok I am going to shower and wash my very sanded vagina. LOLOLOL!!

It just occurred to me that after seeing a commercial for this Dyson Bladeless Fan, that it would be cool if someone could apply the physics of its technology of entrainment and inducement to a fan that can fit inside a computer chassis. I wonder if it is a viable solution for noise reduction and moving more CFM's.

Any comments? Redbeard? Oh, I think I just gave Corsair an idea. Ka-Ching!!!! :D:D

I for one have no argument about Kyles preview. Maybe because of everyone's response, in the future don't bother doing them a favor and giving them a heads-up, just wait til your final, in-depth review is done, then you won't have to endure comments such as these two-fold; once for the 'pre-view', and again for the 'official' review.

I will take this opportunity (and I say this with much love :D ) to say that I miss a nice article without any mispellings and poor grammar. Ok I am going to shower and wash my very sanded vagina. LOLOLOL!!

i saw that fan while at bed bath & beyond with my girl $300!!!

i wonder how well the h70 would work fan less?

The Dyson "bladeless fans" actually do have blades: in their bases. The air is funneled through internal baffles and guides and out through some weird venturi thing to achieve the smooth air flow they mention. I doubt the design could be squeezed into a computer fan...

Back