Corsair H60/H70/H80/H100 guys - do your bolts have screwdriver slots?

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought and installed an H80 today after finding the H100 was a few mm shy of fitting into my case properly. My fingers are pretty raw now as I've been struggling to tighten the bolts on my H80. What perplexes me is that the ones I have have no screwdriver slots cutout on the bolts so I can use a tool to help me. It was very difficult getting the screws in the corners by the blue motherboard heatsinks to tighten. I'd imagine someone with larger hands not being able to do it at all.

All the images I find on reviews and other installs and the instructions show bolts that have screwdriver slots so I'm wondering if this is a new revision or if I'm not tightening my bolts enough as it feels like my temps are a bit higher than I would expect (I understand that ambient will be higher over air coolers). There's absolutely no way I can tighten these anymore with my bare hands and I'm worried that not enough pressure is being applied. The ones in the corners by the heatsinks were a real PITA.

h80qo.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds odd for them to not come with tool slots. May have to try and use a pair of needle nose pliers.

Yes, all four of the "screws" came with slots.

I have a feeling a lot of people were over tightening so Corsair went to thumb tightening only. When I installed my H100 w/ thumb screws, I could of kept turning them quite a bit by hand but all it needs is to be nice and snug.

edit: My H100 does not have slots.

Mine didn't have slots and I tightened the crap out of them using my hand and a wrench...
:bleh:

Kidding about the wrench

When I get mine, I'll probably mark it on an edge and use pliers so I can put even pressure. That seems pretty stupid to expect people to screw them all in evenly with thumb screws (especially considering how close the left two are to the heatsink).

I've owned an H50, H70 and H100. The H50 and H70 used Phillips head screws for the heatsink bracket, the H100 uses thumbscrews. I don't think it's a problem, finger tight should be adequate.

I am planning on getting an H80 this sprins so I hope they do indeed come with the slots.

Back