Corsair H50 Push-Pull Whine/Noise?

Artex

Weaksauce
Hello everyone,

I just built a brand new Core i7 930 system in a Corsair 800D case using the Corsair H50 cooler with two Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm fans in a push pull config. The fans are rated at 28dBA @ 63.7 CFM - while spinning at 1600RPM. So pretty quiet overall while moving a significant amount of air.

As this seems to be true in a single fan config, but when both fans are installed in the push-pull config, there is a significant noisey whine coming from the fans. Is this normal? I currently have one fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header of my MSI Big Bang XPower board and the other onto a separate system fan header. Looking at the BIOS, the fans are spinning at slightly different speeds. Could this be causing turbulence and therefore the associated noise? Is there a way to keep the fans at the same exact speed using some kind of splitter?

It's normal during fan manufacturing process for identically manufactured fans to have a variance of up to 20% sometimes. For example, the fans that come with the H50 are 1600RPM +/- 10%, so they're actually in-spec anywhere from 1440RPM to 1760RPM.

The whine noise you hear could be a number of things. The S-Flex fans are good, but they're better for case cooling than they are for something like a radiator, which requires higher static pressure. Scythe's GentleTyphoon fans are much better for static pressure requirements like heatsinks and such.

To troubleshoot, you could take try what you're saying, but I doubt it would make a difference. More than likely that's either bearing whine or motor whine from the fans. You could check it by removing the fans from the radiator and trying them one at a time. It might just be one of them.

Yeah, it seems both fans by themselves seem almost silent. I think I will pick up some 50CFM Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm case fans. They supposedly are 1450RPM @ 21dBA.

I've read 2 similar stories like this one & the noise was resolved by cutting out the "grill" covering the rear fan. They used a wired grill protector for the rear fan after. It was the push-pull fan setup that was causing the noise you hear. Also, a high static fan(s) is recommended such as Redbeard suggested. I have those Gentle Typhoon's & they are great. Hope this helps.

Yeah, it seems both fans by themselves seem almost silent. I think I will pick up some 50CFM Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm case fans. They supposedly are 1450RPM @ 21dBA.

I've got two of those on my h50 and they're great. I can't even hear them while they're running and they keep it cool.

Would it be better if you ran a Y cable off of the CPU_Header so both fans ran on the same channel ? That might help with your RPM issues ???

I have this same issue with my H50. Using the H50 fan and the HAF922 stock fan. I was thinking it was because of the rpm difference between them but I'm not sure.
If I unplug the 922 fan it does get noticeably quieter. I'll live with it until I get some Gentle Typhoons.

I am starting to think this is common in some push/pull configs. I tried to push pull my setup and got a whine noise also. Went back to a single fan. The S-flex fans are good fans. I didnt care for the GT fans. I installed some Arctic cooling PWM fans in a daisy chain. Best setup I have ever ran.

Back