Corsair H50 or Hyper 212 for cooling a i5-750

jjolin

Gawd
Antec 1200 case so theres plenty of airflow, just want some opinions on if the watercooling H50 is better than a hyper 212.

It depends on your case. But imo ... Corsair > Coolermaster for everything.

IMHO, the CoolerMaster unit is $29.99, while the Corsair is $79.99...
Both will need two fans for extreme overclocking, so the Corsair unit will cost you at least about twice as much after all is said and done.
Are you really going to notice the extra 200mhz or so from going water? Probably not.
Plus you paid a lot for that Antec1200, utilize that airflow! You could have gone water in ANY case, so don't waste a great air-flow case.

I PERSONALLY only go custom loops, as I DO notice the 400-600mhz afforded by a "proper" water loop :)

I run a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + with my i5-750. Grabbed a spare BladeMaster fan to run oush/pull and it cools very well for a sub $30 part. Second fan only added an additional 3-4c cooling at max load and did not change my overclock, just added a bit of piece of mind.

Using overnight OCCT (same temp monitoring as coretemp), at my everyday overclock of 3.8ghz @ 1.28v max temp reached was 67c in a 20.5c room and a closed Antec P180 case.

At 4ghz and 1.33v. that temp jumps up to 75c at max load overnight under the same conditions. Which is still a good temperature.

Normal stuff like gaming does not break low 50's with coretemp. Motherboard temps are suspicious....22c idle is doubtful.

Obviously some more expensive coolers will cool a bit better, but not for under $30. Most the better air coolers with cost you over $60 with fans like the Venomous X, Megahalem's, Noctua's. Next step up from the 212 worth getting would be a CoGage True Spirit and grab a 1156 mounting kit for it for $9. That would be about $45 or so and drop you a few more degrees. Also I have seen some Zalman CNPS 10X's refurbed on ebay for around $35. Not sure about the condition, but that is a great price.

Last edited:
Honestly, the H50 just makes things nice and quiet and it doesn't sit on top of your board like a lump, as the air coolers do. I went from a Copper TRUE to a H50 basically so I could use all my memory slots and see more of my board. I also got in on sale at Best Buy for $60. In a push pull config it cools just as well as my Copper TRUE, or any of my TRUEs for that matter.

Tough decision OP. After reading some of the offered suggestions I would probably stick with air and add a Megahalems. If you are set on a closed loop get the H50.

if it's strictly between the hyper 212+ or the h50 and you're not considering other air coolers, just go with the 212+. i don't see the point in water if you aren't going to be serious about it. unless you're a stickler for noise, that is.

i'm running a 212+ with a single fan pushing and i have my xeon x3440 (which is a lynnfield chip just like the i5-750) oc'd to 3.6GHz. i'm seeing 62C temps after a 20 run pass through IBT on max stress. i've got some more fans in the mail, so i've yet to see what a push/pull config will do. i've got the cm 690 with plenty of airflow.

Neither, I'd go with a TRUE or a Megahalems.

This. Or the Thermalright Venomous-X

Go with a good air cooler over the H50. You will get about the same performance tbh, and you wont ever have to worry about an air cooler leaking

Back