Corsair H50 + LIAN LI PC-V351 question

xeddex

Limp Gawd
Hi all. I'm considering picking up a v351 for a new i5 GA-P55M-UD4 based system and one of my concerns is cooling. I don't want to try and hack the back for the psu to be above the cards even though i've seen others do it so I'm trying to figure out a workable cooling solution.

Anyone know if you can simply pop the H50 on to one of the front 120 fans for a 2 fan push pull setup? I can't tell how the front 120's are held in and there may be a bracket or something in the way. If it can fit on then is it close enough? The H50 tubes are supposed to be 11 inches and I'm wondering if I can easily do what was done with a SG03 here (same idea) http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034393748&postcount=28

Anyone running this setup or tried to run it? The last thing I want to do is to order all this stuff only to find out it can't work.

Thanks

I have the same idea I alerady have red Version of Lian Li Pc V351. I will use Corsair H50 for cooling. Unfurtunately, H50 is'nt enywhere in stock yet. ( Im from Czech Republic )
So I can only guess, if its fit. I hope it will :).

Its seem to me, like almost ideal solution of cooling for limited space in V351.

Last edited:
I prefer to mount first radiator directly to the case, and than fan. fan will suck air throu the radiator. Reason: Prevent colision between motherboard and Radiator.

Hi I am close to finish my RIG with V351 and H50. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the Connectors for AM3-Socket. I will upload pictures as soon as I am done. So it is possible to do it with some modding. Detailed instruction of what I did will follow.

Hi I am close to finish my RIG with V351 and H50. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the Connectors for AM3-Socket. I will upload pictures as soon as I am done. So it is possible to do it with some modding. Detailed instruction of what I did will follow.

Hi. Which AM3 mATX mobo do you have? I can't decided myself. I olready have Lian Li V351Red, Phenom II X4 905e, HDDs, VGA, But I don't now which mobo to use.

Hi. Which AM3 mATX mobo do you have? I can't decided myself. I olready have Lian Li V351Red, Phenom II X4 905e, HDDs, VGA, But I don't now which mobo to use.
Hi. I chose ASUS M4A785D-M PRO for it is the best/cheapest mobo capable of "unleashing" my Phenom II X 550 BE wich already worked well with the new BIOS. Also important to me was that it goes with DDR2 RAM, I do not see the big advantage in DDR3 and its so expensive. You could get the same board with DDR3 as well if you want to. Read tests first. Newegg doesn't seem have it listed. I am from Germany but I guess you will find it somwhere in USA.

I had the H50 in an X500b in the top fron in a push-pull config and it worked very well. Better than the back.

I have closely studied my V351B : I think the H50's fan might only fits in the center of the tray, locked only left or right. I'm afraid a second front fan won't fit beside it ?

My i7 is so hot when oced ... can't wait to read from your instruction & photos ;)

Hi everyone interested in this setup.

This is the first time for me to write down any built that I made so if you are missing details
just ask for them and I will try to provide all data you need. Also I am from Germany so don't
look at my english so close ;)

I'd like to first thank many users and posters here that have actually lead me to this Setup
by writing alot about the components. I've not yet found anything comparable to this forum in
Germany.

So lets get started...

Components
Lian Li 351A
Corsair H50 with AM2/3 Mount Kit
Noctua NF-S12B FLX

1. drill holes/insert rubber holders

Since I wanted the Fan not to be connected with the case directly for vibration issues I
was glad that noctua delievers the fans with rubber holders.
These holders actually brought me to the idea of how to fix the Fan and Radiator to fit the
case.
So I drilled 4 holes. As you see on the pic below I did it closest possible to the "fan hole".
IMPORTANT on this: It is useful to have a dremel so that you remove all sharp edges on
those holes otherwise you risk spoiling the rubber holders.

20090925-090740-963.jpg

Then inserted the four rubber holders:

20090925-090908-534.jpg

Thats all I needed to do with the case.

2. Prepare Fan and screws

Since the fan had to be screwed to the radiator I could not use the original screws
delievered with the H50. Trying to get shorter screws (max. length is 12mm) I had to
realise that I could not get them in germany as we use different threads over here.

So I cut the screws down to the size I needed.

I also had to prepare the Fan for usually there is no space for the screw head. I took a
rasp and grinded some material. Thereafter I mounted the Fan to the radiator.
I marked where I grinded the Fan.

20090925-092651-878.jpg

3. Installation/Final look

After installing I took three shots to show how good it fits.

20090925-093003-608.jpg

Both Fans do fit nicely, no modding on second Fan :)

anzeige.html

As you see it is really close but it fits :D

20090925-101007-4.jpg

This is how it looks like fully installed.

20090928-080320-723.jpg

http://www.bildercache.de/anzeige.html?dateiname=20090928-080320-723.jpg

For now I added only one picture, I'm still working on it.

So this is it. I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial.

Last edited:
Bravo ! Great mod, that's exactly what I want for my setup
Will ask to her to offer me my first Dremel -;)

Beside CPU , what about the general cooling of the case ?
Does the H50 fan blowing hot air inside makes it worth for the Northbridge Southbridge GPU HDs ?

CyrIng
France

Just to answer the question about cooling, I switched the two 120mm-Fans to
Noctuas and took the original HDD-Fan from 1500RPM to around 1000RPM wich is quite
a noticable difference.
Still the system is not really "Supersilent". I hope my new Fan Controller can help me out in that. Otherwise I am thinking of switching the HDD Fan to Noctua NF-B9.

Also I just came to think about mounting a fan adapter for 80/92 to 120mm in the back of
the Harddrives. Would not look really great but do a good job i guess especially with a
graphics card added.

Otherwise I really enjoy my system, WIN7 reboots in about 45sec.
I have following hardware installed:

AMD Phenom II 550 BE @ 4x 3,4GHz stable at around 30° Idle and max load around 61°
Corsair H50 w Noctua N12
ASUS M4A785D-M PRO (planning to change Nothbridge cooler) any fanless suggestions???
2x2GB Corsair XMS DDR2
OCZ Vertex 60Gb
WD 320Gb
PSU Scythe KAMARIKI-2 450W w Cable Management

Graphics Card is to be added soon. I am looking for the lowest noise ATI 4890 Card with
air cooler. Any suggestions?

I also change for a Noctua 8 cm fan at back. It turns @ 1500 rpm but does help cooling down case
Go for a 120 mm if U decide to mod
Btw U should find in another V351 thread, same forum, some mods where PSU and HDD fan have been swapped, allowing 120 mm fan and better air dissipation.

I not a modder but wish to install H50 without pain: any idea ?

Fyi, my VGA is fanless which highly increase warm air in the case.
Look for a card with the best air exhaust, I mean directly out of the back PCI slot.
Find my pics here http://ccy.free.fr

Other question : are U able to close side door with the H50 radiator ?

Last edited:
some nice systems that you have... could you post some CPU-Benchmarks-results for me to
compare my system a little bit? I'm interested how capable it is now with 4 cores.

About the case, I dont want to take out the HDD cage and switch the PSU. Too much work if you want
to do that nicely. but cutting out some space in the HDD back plate and fixing a fan adapter to the back should also work fine. Even though it might not look very nice... I'll see

Thanks for that tip about VGA, will take care of that.

About closing the side door, yes I can do that. No trouble, no vibration. It just fits.

About fixing the H50 with less modding than I did... to me that was not much work and I am kinda lazy ;)

What you could do is to prepare a plate with a big hole for airflow and 4 holes to fix the mounting screws that are used for the delievered Fan. Then you also add 4 holes for the rubber holders in the position that you would have drilled them in the case.
Then you mount the plate as if it was a fan and mount the fan + H50 to the plate with the rubber holders.

Hope this makes sense to you and everybody else. Otherwise ask.

If anybody makes a drawing of this, please add it here as a picture. I'm not firm in related programs.

The idea of the plate is good especially it won't cancel the case waranty

I'm mainly using Linux. Stock clock Core i7 delivers 45000 mips , last best overclocking reached 52000

Win Seven score is 7.5 CPU 7.8 Memory

I notice that you are using a SSD : I wonder how it can increase encoding
For instance with my WD 1 TB Raid Edition, a DVD 1H30 is ripped into a MKV 700MB (2 streams) in 15 minutes (2 x pass)

Also if you aren't a game HD4670 Saphire fanless is a good deal for HTPC, arround 36•C idle

What about you motherboard temperature given by sensor since H50 ( all doors closed)

Hey ! added the H50 to the V351 --> http://ccy.free.fr/

Used 4 x holed plastic strips to desaxe its fan.

Btw, old NF-P12 fan is installed beside it , and no issue closing the side door.

Minus 10°C during OCCT load @ full 1600 rpm ( noisy ) ;
Much lower temp during video encoding using Handbreak @ 1000 rpm

However NB IOH temp is increasing as I was expected due to the lack of air supplied by a CPU HS+fan

CyrIng

I plan to buy the V351 Lian Li case next week and the only concern I have had for the last 1-2 months is cooling. I have looked into getting a few water cooling setup in the case and have decided this may be a little too ambitious. The other idea is to use the H50 CPU cooler kit, but I'm not keep on the mod above, I think I would rather leave those fans for the intake.

I was considering attaching it to the side panel where I could cut a square hole buy a black grill to put over it and bolt the heatsink/fan to the inside. But then for symetry I was thinking about doing the same on the other side but just a fan to aid the graphics card.

The only problem is looking at pictures gives me no idea if the heat sink will fit in this position or the fan for the graphics. The arrangement would have to be high enough up the side panel to clear the motherboard but then will there be enough room for the PSU? And will the fan on the graphics card side touch the graphics card?

Thanks for help in advance :D

Back