Corsair H50 CPU Cooler Preview.

I am having some issues with my h50. I had a xigmatek 1283 before and after installing my h50 the temps are pretty much the same. (mid 40s idle, my room is always the hottest in the house.) I am using a push pull setup with the pwm fan that came with the h50 and a sflex to pull. Im thinking about moving the pump to a molex to 3 pin adaptor instead of into the mobo to see if this helps. Any feedback would be appreciated.

i have a dark knight on my 920 i7....is there any benefits of going corsair h50? im thinking about getting an h50..anyone actually have this setup and do this change?

i have a dark knight on my 920 i7....is there any benefits of going corsair h50? im thinking about getting an h50..anyone actually have this setup and do this change?

I had a TRUEcopper and went to an H50, temps went up 2-3C but system weight went DOWN.

dunno if that helps you ;)

Just installed mine on my old Q6600. @1.17v it idles at 33*c and loads around 48*c
Fantastic!!

Running it push/pull with two medium speed yate loons and they are working excellently. I am thinking of adding 2 shrouds (out of dead 120mm fans) but I have a feeling there will be little to no improvement

That's dreadful performance i wouldn't be at all happy with that, I have a q6600 at 3.5 ghz 1.4 volts idles at 30 gaming load 50 and prime load 70 ish and intel burn test 70-80 in normal ambient temps under an old style tuniq tower with one middle fan at 998 rpm idles at 35-40 with v high room temps in summer.So glad I didn't get one of these the performance looks no better than a £30 air cooler.

Have any of you tried the proper mounting method ? http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=84520

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like another thread got hijacked on another forum LOL.

I went from a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 to the H50 and am much happier. Temps went down and I can get my big hands around my motherboard a lot easier than before.

I have heard that these things are overrated and aside from just being able to say you have one, it doesn't do all that much. I'd like for someone to prove me wrong because I'd like to overclock a good amount and I'm debating on an aftermarket cooler.

I have heard that these things are overrated and aside from just being able to say you have one, it doesn't do all that much. I'd like for someone to prove me wrong because I'd like to overclock a good amount and I'm debating on an aftermarket cooler.

Go have a look around the internet. The reviews are there for you to read. Depending on how it is installed, it is in the same ball park as a True. You can believe the reviews or the rumors you heard. Your choice. I doubt anyone will waste their time trying to prove anything to you.

I just put my existing rig into a new Coolermaster HAF X last night and decided to try the push/pull setup in exhaust mode via the rear fan outlet vs just the push method in intake mode I was using in my antec 900. The temps maxed out about 3 degrees lower than before, but Prime failed after 24 minutes. I then reversed it to intake mode using push/pull and it primed all night without errors. I'm guessing there was better cooling on the caps around the cpu this way because the temps only differed about a degree or 2. I'm using the stock corsair to push and and one of the 3 speed antec fans to pull. I know I probably need to get better fans. I max out at 63c which is good since I'm pumping about 1.5v into this chip. I'm hoping it dies to give me a good reason to upgrade :p.

H50.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

thats a b3 q6600 at 3.2 under 50c

in push/pull with good fans it can be a really good cooler. also i got mine for $60 at bb on sale, for that price it is a great value.

Is a push/pull just one fan blowing air onto the radiator and one fan blowing air away from the radiator?

Go have a look around the internet. The reviews are there for you to read. Depending on how it is installed, it is in the same ball park as a True. You can believe the reviews or the rumors you heard. Your choice. I doubt anyone will waste their time trying to prove anything to you.

I have read plenty of reviews of people not really noticing that big of a performance increase in the terms of heat, that's why I'm asking. Maybe there is a thermal paste people use to make it more efficient or there is another factor I'm not aware of.

H50.jpg

thats a b3 q6600 at 3.2 under 50c

in push/pull with good fans it can be a really good cooler. also i got mine for $60 at bb on sale, for that price it is a great value.

Cant help but notice the very low voltage though I want to see 1.4 volts plus, and intel burn test load temps.

I think that's where this cooler falls down a bit and would be hitting 80-95c (IBT) 75-85c (Prime) 60-70c (gaming load) at the limits of the Q6600's.

When you consider that the now ancient TRUE or even the original tuniq tower 120 with it's central fan even at 900 rpm can beat the above puts this in it's place really as nothing more than a gimmick with it's only actual useful feature being more space around the motherboard.
It's performance is no better in terms of performance and quietness than a £30 air cooler (TRUE) (Fenrir) etc and even then that's with 2x mid to high rpm fans blowing on it push pull.

So if you want an average sub £30 air performance water cooler at twice the price and want have all that space around the board making a massive difference in your life then by all means throw money down the drain.

Not seen any evidence as of yet that this cooler is anywhere near a TRUE or similar the men are separated from the boys when you get to the limits of your chip.
If you are going to go water cooling may as well do it properly the whole idea is lower temps and noise not increased temps and same noise.

Last edited:
Is a push/pull just one fan blowing air onto the radiator and one fan blowing air away from the radiator?

Exactly... a push pull is one fan is Pushing air through the radiator as one is Pulling air out of it... Hence push\pull.

Also i was thinking of ditching corsairs included fan for one 3000rpm scythe or pairing it with another 3000rpm scythe. What do you all think is the 3000rpm fan overkill ? I have it laying around from an older build and thought it would do the job quite well other than listening to the added noise.

Cant help but notice the very low voltage though I want to see 1.4 volts plus, and intel burn test load temps.

I think that's where this cooler falls down a bit and would be hitting 80-95c (IBT) 75-85c (Prime) 60-70c (gaming load) at the limits of the Q6600's.

When you consider that the now ancient TRUE or even the original tuniq tower 120 with it's central fan even at 900 rpm can beat the above puts this in it's place really as nothing more than a gimmick with it's only actual useful feature being more space around the motherboard.
It's performance is no better in terms of performance and quietness than a £30 air cooler (TRUE) (Fenrir) etc and even then that's with 2x mid to high rpm fans blowing on it push pull.

So if you want an average sub £30 air performance water cooler at twice the price and want have all that space around the board making a massive difference in your life then by all means throw money down the drain.

Not seen any evidence as of yet that this cooler is anywhere near a TRUE or similar the men are separated from the boys when you get to the limits of your chip.
If you are going to go water cooling may as well do it properly the whole idea is lower temps and noise not increased temps and same noise.

What I was getting at with my original post, but got chewed out. Thank you for bringing a valid argument to the table.

Anyone else having an issue with your H50 fans and the fan grill on your case? It seems like the fan grill is making the fans produce excess noise.
I'm thinking about cutting it off but I'm not sure I want to do that to my new HAF 922 case just yet.

i have mine push/pull with air from inside out (sick of the dust) with only 1-2c from outside in. Granted I do have a haf 922. Also, instead of waiting to get more screws, just use two to mount it and two for the other fan. just put them in diagonally.

I've had the H50 in my system for a couple months now, and while it allows me to reach 3.5GHz with my Q6600, the temperatures are quite high. I have all the little clock and voltage stepping features enabled, but even when idle at 2.38GHz 1.25v in Windows, I sit at 59*C. On a warm summer day, I'm sure I can hit 95*C or higher on IBT. To be honest, these are very similar to the temperatures I was seeing with the stock cooler while running a modest 2.8 or 3GHz OC at 1.325 in bios.

I've unmounted and remounted the cooler a dozen times, wiped and reapplied new paste each time after the first few, tried two different mobos with both reporting the same temperatures (currently using a Biostar P45 board), and I've even bought a Rexus(Panaflow) 120x38mm fan rated about 84 CFM, and ran it wide open on the radiator at 2100RPM. Idle and load temperatures fall by about 5*C, but that's it. Using the fan as an intake or exhaust fan makes no noticable difference in temperature. The noise from the new fan was too much for me at full speed, so I've got it plugged into a 5v line, and the PSU is the noisy sucker now.

And yes, I've verified that the pump runs at full speed on the mobo header that it currently uses.

Overall, I haven't been very impressed with the H50. It's quiet, and lets me get a nice OC, but that's ALL I can say about it. Temperatures are pretty lame, and I'm concerned about the lifespan of nearby components such as the mosfets, the northbridge, and the RAM modules. When I fire up just about any game and the CPU clocks up to 3.5GHz, temps immediately shoot to 70*C, and go up from there as the CPU load increases. On a warm day, it's not uncommon for a game like UT3 to get the CPU into the 80's.

My hoses are not bent or angled to an unsafe or unreasonable degree, but compared to the results a few people claim to have (i7 @ 4.2GHz, 75*C IBT temps, etc.) you'd think I have a completely different cooler.

The thing I like about it is its quiet. With my two GT's @ 1450 rpm, its WAY quieter than my True with two tri cool fans.

I punched my 980X up too 4ghz just using the multiplier, and my voltage set on 1.255, and according to gpuz, it was running 1.28 volts when loaded under P95. My temps hit 73C, and idled at 32C. I let the Asus program set it to 4ghz, but it put my voltage up too 1.38, and I shut it down when it 78C.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2062172&highlight=h50+test

Here is a nice little thread about putting the rad in ice, and watching how much better it cools. Her pics are down at the moment, but I pm'd her about getting them back up.

Last edited:
At 4.0Ghz with my i5 750 I get around 50C doing nothing and rendering video I get 80-90C. Something is wrong. But what?
I've reapplied paste like 3 times and no bigger change. Only made the cores go more even after the third time.

Tips? Could the H50 be sort of broken? Or is it just the hot climate?

What kind of fans are you using? How are they setup? Did you get your cpu good and clean when you repasted? What kind of past did you use? How hot is you home? Also, how much voltage are you putting through it?

What kind of fans are you using? How are they setup? Did you get your cpu good and clean when you repasted? What kind of past did you use? How hot is you home? Also, how much voltage are you putting through it?

2 fans. The Corsair and tje Silverstone FT02 one. They are in PnP up through the roof. The CPu was very clean. Noctua paste. The home is pretty hot. 1.35 voltage.

Then, its about right. Mine at 1.38, just climbed and climbed. I shut down prime when it hit 76 or 77C.

I keep my house 69-70F. The H50, just competes with air coolers. The i7 cpus are hot hot hot, and the H50 is just not designed for that.

What is you pump rpm?

Then, its about right. Mine at 1.38, just climbed and climbed. I shut down prime when it hit 76 or 77C.

I keep my house 69-70F. The H50, just competes with air coolers. The i7 cpus are hot hot hot, and the H50 is just not designed for that.

What is you pump rpm?

I think it was about 1500 something.

Hey I was wondering what kind of noise (if any) is coming from everyone' pump? I swear when I first installed it the pump was completely silent. But after a few restarts the pump is now making this really annoying buzzing sound. You can't hear it over music or gaming, but when it is completely silent the buzzing noise definitely gets on my nerves.

I hope that's the case for me too, this buzzing is driving me mad! I just got it today too.

it definitely settles down in a day or two. I left my system running and suddenly I just no longer noticed it. :)

I installed mine this week.

Took a while to do as those hoses are pretty stiff. Took a few attempts to seat the block but we got it there in the end.

Was strange when I powered the PC on to hear a feint gurgling noise but I havent heard much since.

I have just the Corsair fan sucking in as per the instructions. I have however added a small two inch airdam above the CPU intake and the PSU out to stop any recycling of warm air from the PSU.

As for temps? Well I had to bump my rig back down to 3 cores as temp monitoring doesnt work otherwise.

Ambient temp - 26c

At stock settings of x3 2.8Ghz stock voltage I get 28c at idle and 36.5c at full load.

At OC settings of x3 3.4Ghz and 1.4v I get 28c idle and 41.5c at full load.

I guess back to 4 cores wont be too much different.

I've adjusted the Corsair fan to run at 1100 rpm rather than the standard auto 850rpm.

Happy so far.

At 4.0Ghz with my i5 750 I get around 50C doing nothing and rendering video I get 80-90C. Something is wrong. But what?
I've reapplied paste like 3 times and no bigger change. Only made the cores go more even after the third time.

Tips? Could the H50 be sort of broken? Or is it just the hot climate?

That sounds hot to me. I'm running an i5 750 with a Megahalems and a Noctua P12 running at 1400rpm.

Running 4GHz right now with a bit over 1.35V in a room with ambient temperature of 23C, my load temp is only 65 to 66C running prime95 large FFTs (the maximum heat one).

I dont normally run 4GHz though, as the voltage increase required to obtain 4GHz over 3.8GHz isn't worth the performance gain (need a bit over 1.25V to get 3.8GHz and around 1.35V to get 4GHz).

Is your pump running at full speed? 1400 RPM? Check it with HWMonitor or FanSpeed make sure fan control is set to manual or 100 in the bios. How much voltage are you running and how is your fan setup?

Running 4GHz right now with a bit over 1.35V in a room with ambient temperature of 23C, my load temp is only 65 to 66C running prime95 large FFTs (the maximum heat one).

IIRC aren't large FFT's for memory?

Back