Corsair H50 CPU Cooler Preview.

I noticed with mine that if I pushed down on one of the lines and let it go, as it sprung back up there was the same sound. After doing it a few times it starting to sound quieter and stopped so me thinks there might be some air in the system and doing what I did pushed it (total guess here) into an engineered area for air to collect...like a partially empty resevoir. Again, total guess on that though...but temps don't exceed 47c under load at 3.68ghz

I just bought a H50 from best buy for $60 to replace my Coolermaster TX3. I'm using a Thermaltake v9 Black Edition case (230mm side intake, 230mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust, 120mm front intake). How should I orient the fans for best performance, with the radiator on the rear 120mm? I've also got a spare 120mm which has a higher CFM than the corsair fan, should I put it in push or pull on the radiator?

Is it normal to hear water sound from a running H50?

I've been hearing since yesterday when I completed my new build. Check everything but it doesn't look like its leaking or anything, just kept hearing those sound like water dripping, heh.

How do you have it oriented? when the hoses are at the top or side it will sometimes make noises. The system is not filled completely, there is room for expansion, so when you have them mounted this way there is an air gap and you can hear the water pouring into the rad.

Need some suggestions for good fans for this "water cooler"

Good fans that will do a good job,that will not be really loud and not break the billfold

Need some suggestions for good fans for this "water cooler"

Good fans that will do a good job,that will not be really loud and not break the billfold

I'm using the fan that was included along with my case fan (Thermaltake v9 black edition) and its pretty damn quiet. I did do a little research and it seemed the best quiet fans were the scythe gentle typhoons, sflex, and noctua fans, though they are all $10+. The best quiet fans for cheap were yate loons, which were $6ish. Decided not to spend the money because it was already pretty quiet (once I start gaming the 5870's fan noise drowns them all out anyway).

Is it normal to hear water sound from a running H50?

I've been hearing since yesterday when I completed my new build. Check everything but it doesn't look like its leaking or anything, just kept hearing those sound like water dripping, heh.

Have you shaken the pump? Flip it to get all the air bubbles...if it's still making the noise, definitely RMA it or return it at the store and get another.

I built an i5 rig for my cousin with this. At stock speeds, it keeps the i5 750 @ 19c idle and doesn't even go past 40c with the intelburntest. I think it's great for the i5 chips.

I just built a core i5-750 system.

Using a coolermaster HAF 922 w/ 12cm fan on the bottom intake and another 20cm fan on the side. They are IMO pretty quiet and move a lot of air and the air coming from them is nice and cool :)

Here's the temps I was seeing:

3.5GHz @ 1.3 Vcore, stock fan full speed (1600RPM): 70C load
3.5GHz @ 1.3 Vcore, 2x Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM: 65C load
3.5GHz @ 1.125 Vcore, 2x Gentle typhoon 1450RPM: 55C load

The corsair fan at full speed made an uncomfortable level of noise for me. The Gentle Typhoons are not silent but definitely a nice step down noise wise from the stock corsair one; I had issues with the on-board fan control since it's a Gigabyte board and they don't let you control individual fans (all or nothing). I could have just plugged the fan into the PSU directly but I didn't think of that before I ordered the gentle typhoons; now everything just runs full tilt all the time off the motherboard.

I know people have criticized this cooler's performance and don't consider it water cooling but I found it does a pretty good job. Mine does make the dripping/quiet rattling noise, but it was much better after running a bit and it seems like there was an air bubble inside the cooling loop that finally migrated its way somewhere less noisy :)

Another thing that seems to be undervalued by most is the fact that it doesn't obliterate access to the CPU/RAM/12v connector on the board like most heatsinks do. I had a scythe ninja before and it blocked the RAM and 12v connector on my old motherboard and would probably require removing it from the case to reinstall; this heatsink was much easier to install than I thought it would be and much easier than push-pin solutions. Unfortunately coolermaster goofed big time and the access hole on the back of the motherboard mounting panel is in the wrong place for 1156 boards, but since you can adhere the mounting bracket to the motherboard this isn't a huge deal until you need to change motherboards anyways.

Corsair's also got great support and will ship you new mounting brackets if you email them apparently so that's another plus; as I've gotten older I started to appreciate better customer service.

4.4 might be pushing it for the H50 imo its good but not that good even top end air might be pushing it at 4.4

imo for that custom setup with 3x120

heya,

i have just installed the corsair h50 watercooler, and it is epic

so far at idle, using the stock intel cooler
it has gone from 45-47C and 77-79C at load

to 15-17C at idle and 32-34C at load
with the h50 and 2 Noctua NF-S12BFLX 120mm fans in the push pull method, running at 1200rpm

is that normal?

hornet <- i heard the noise of running water for like the first 3 or 4 mins after installing it, then it just went away, and i havent heard it since

thanks

anyone plug their pump into a fan controller? i have a controller from my zalman 9500 that i'm not using. i was thinking about putting it to some use.

mine was the other way around, acceptable noise level in the beginning, then it took a turn for the worse and started to sound like a constant hard drive. decided to get that trash out of my system and reinstall an air cooler. temps are about the same.

I have to say, I still love my H50. I OC'd a while ago, but I never posted my results in this thread.

I'm running 4.2ghz and, while stressing all 8 HT cores on my 920, and CPU *peaks* at 72°C.

I'm pushing 1.4 volts through the CPU to keep this 100% stable. I could certainly use less voltage, but I just don't know enough about OC'ing to optimize the power efficiency.

I've taken the CPU to 4.5ghz at the same 1.4V, but I couldn't keep it stable while stressing eight virtual cores. Temperature was not an issue, it doesn't go over 72°C

The H50 is very, very impressive. Especially for the sixty dollar price I've seen at Best Buy. I hope whoever makes these for Corsair, Alienware, and others makes such an easy to use pseduo-WC system for 5870's and GTX 480's. If it was this simple and effective for the 480, I'd pay $200 for one without a second thought.

I just installed mine and I'm really impressed. I've been priming at 3.6 for an hour already and I havent gone over 63c. Yesterday I was hitting 80c on my TT V1. I used the stock thermal paste that came with the unit.:D

i running a 1090T at 3.6GHz and the temp peaks at 43c at load and idles around 19c.

i like it.

I've been playing with my H50. My E6300 Conroe could barely make it to 2 GHz on stock cooling. I'm still testing the limits, but at this point I'm up to 2.5 GHz at stock voltage. My full load temperature is 51C.

i running a 1090T at 3.6GHz and the temp peaks at 43c at load and idles around 19c.

i like it.

With those temps seems like you should easily be able to bump up the voltage a little and crank it to 4Ghz. :cool:

I have gotten my 1055T to 3.84 GHz stable at load temps at stock voltages. I wish I had a stronger FSB to overclock further because my temps are 18c idle and 39c at load running the intel burn test. I got two fans Scythe Fans in a push-pull (on a fan controller because those fans are loud) in a Sniper Black Edition Case.

This is a fantastic cooler. Just got to remove the crappy Corsair paste first and overclock to your delight.

This is a fantastic cooler. Just got to remove the crappy Corsair paste first and overclock to your delight.

Crappy Corsair paste?? Isn't the Shin-Etsu compound that the H50 ships with generally considered as one of the best thermal compounds out there?

I just picked one of these up at fry's, my temps before were 42-45 degrees idle with a Cooler master tower heat sink....and after I installed the H50 there are still the same? did I do something wrong? I was expecting idle temps in the low 30's

I'm running a q9550 @ stock clocks(2.8ghz)

158715d1275711194-official-corsair-h50-hydro-series-owners-h50-case.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked one of these up at fry's, my temps before were 42-45 degrees idle with a Cooler master tower heat sink....and after I installed the H50 there are still the same? did I do something wrong? I was expecting idle temps in the low 30's

That is hot. Possibly need to re-seat it. Be sure the pump is working. Could be dud.
Check your bios for voltage. Could be high voltage in MB cpu settings.

Make sure you have the fan and pump running full speed turn off any fan throttling on the mobo

What is the best way to orient the lines on the H50 res?

With them on the "top side" of the res, or the bottom side??
Also I am thinking of building 2 shrouds for my Yate Loon's out of old 120mm fans. Good idea?

EDIT:
Also, can I run my pump directly off the PSU? I guess I should monitor the RPM but I want to really stealth the wire.

What is the best way to orient the lines on the H50 res?

With them on the "top side" of the res, or the bottom side??
Also I am thinking of building 2 shrouds for my Yate Loon's out of old 120mm fans. Good idea?

EDIT:
Also, can I run my pump directly off the PSU? I guess I should monitor the RPM but I want to really stealth the wire.

Just read the manual and install as the manufacture recommends ;)

I have an Intel i7-860s and H50. I have the Everest sidebar gadget open right now and these are the temps. it's showing (PC is currently idling):

Core 1: 28C
Core 2: 23C
Core 3: 23C
Core 4: 23C

I have the Intel Tubo Boost Gadget running to and the Turbo Boost is working. Does that explain why one core has a higher temp.?

i have a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, and at 2.8ghz i idle at 26c. from what i seen the h50 doesnt seem good enough for 70 buck's.

PS what happened to the actual video review?

Last edited:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00150.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00151.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00153.jpg

it actually works great, considering that i am using a matx case with a non-modular psu.

4ghz doesn't break 73-74c in this using the stock shin-etzu-ish paste/pad that came on the h50. (prime95'd)

this cooler pretty much allows me to put cables wherever i want now, so... cool. :D

(i used twist ties to hold the radiator against the fan i already had in the case and moved the corsair fan to pull/exhaust (on the radiator))

the radiator is turned sideways, not sure if this has a positive or negative impact on performance. can't completely close the case for the time being. i'm a gamer, this isn't much of an issue for now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00154.jpg (hdd/viddy side)

(this is the sig rig)

i think my ram quantity is affecting my temps/stability. whenever the ram goes 1540 or higher, system becomes erratic. edit: ordering more soon. :p

edit; 205x21 for 4.3ghz (ram is holding me back from 4.4, as well as temps)

Last edited:
I picked up one of these as well, and couldn't be happier. Its very quiet, installation was pretty simple other than the hassle of removing the board. I currently overclocked my Phenom 940 to 3.5Ghz and haven't seen it budge over 128F yet it idles around 90-102. Plus I'm in Arizona so it gets hot during parts of the day.

Installed mine last night. God it's beautiful. I'm running the way Corsair says not to with a single 120mm pushing air through the radiator and out of the exhaust vent. I need another set of long screws so I can setup push pull.

i3 530 3.533ghz
vcore 1.200
prime95 load peak 51c

I'm pushing it up to 4ghz or whatevers stable for 24/7 tonight. My goal is to get reasonably close to 920 3.5ghz speeds due to my CPU bottle-necking my Eyefinity setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00150.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00151.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00152.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00153.jpg

it actually works great, considering that i am using a matx case with a non-modular psu.

4ghz doesn't break 73-74c in this using the stock shin-etzu-ish paste/pad that came on the h50. (prime95'd)

this cooler pretty much allows me to put cables wherever i want now, so... cool. :D

(i used twist ties to hold the radiator against the fan i already had in the case and moved the corsair fan to pull/exhaust (on the radiator))

the radiator is turned sideways, not sure if this has a positive or negative impact on performance. can't completely close the case for the time being. i'm a gamer, this isn't much of an issue for now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/utspyder/IMG00154.jpg (hdd/viddy side)

(this is the sig rig)

i think my ram quantity is affecting my temps/stability. whenever the ram goes 1540 or higher, system becomes erratic. edit: ordering more soon. :p

edit; 205x21 for 4.3ghz (ram is holding me back from 4.4, as well as temps)

Not bad. But you should have went for a modular PSU in that tiny case cause' you got wires everywhere dood. :eek:

Just installed mine on my old Q6600. @1.17v it idles at 33*c and loads around 48*c
Fantastic!!

Running it push/pull with two medium speed yate loons and they are working excellently. I am thinking of adding 2 shrouds (out of dead 120mm fans) but I have a feeling there will be little to no improvement

Back