Corsair H100 or Noctua NH-D14 For i7 3930k

spawn1980

Weaksauce
A buddy of mine is trying to find out which heatsink is better for his i7 3930k Processor and Thermaltake Level 10 Case.

Either:

Corsair H100 with gentle typhoon 3000RPM Push Pull (If you know any other fans that's better please list it)

or

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011

I might be wrong, but I don't think that the H100 is going to benefit from 3000 RPM fans. Since the fin density on the H100 isn't that high, you'd just be adding a bunch of noise with little to no temperature drop.

If it were my setup, I'd go with the H100. Rylan may be right, but one can always dial the speed down a bit with a fan controller to find the perfect mix of noise to heat dissipation.

spawn1980, I'm using the NH-D14 w/o the pwm fans. The NH-D14 is blowing upwards in a Pull/Pull fan configuration. I'm at 42x100 = 4200MHz CPU & 2133MHz Ram - at 1.64vdc - with 11/12/11/30/2t timings. I ran Intel Burn Test v253 at maximum setting using 14800Mb ram & Prime95 for 2 hours with these settings. Real Temp GT 3.0 showed a spike to 84C max & CPUZ HW Monitor showed 82C max. That's about all I'm going to get with this cooler with stock fans, because I heard the 3930k throttles back at 86C. I run this easy O/C everyday & although I'm not setting any O/C records, my PC works & passes those tests. Besides very few if any apps or games are going to come close to the stress levels of those test programs. If your buddy wants more O/C then he might want to try the H100. I still don't like H2O in my PC so I think I'm sticking with this.

Last edited:
spawn1980, I'm using the NH-D14 w/o the pwm fans. The NH-D14 is blowing upwards in a Pull/Pull fan configuration. I'm at 42x100 = 4200MHz CPU & 2133MHz Ram - at 1.64vdc - with 11/12/11/30/2t timings. I ran Intel Burn Test v253 at maximum setting using 14800Mb ram & Prime95 for 2 hours with these settings. Real Temp GT 3.0 showed a spike to 84C max & CPUZ HW Monitor showed 82C max. That's about all I'm going to get with this cooler with stock fans, because I heard the 3930k throttles back at 86C. I run this easy O/C everyday & although I'm not setting any O/C records, my PC works & passes those tests. Besides very few if any apps or games are going to come close to the stress levels of those test programs. If your buddy wants more O/C then he might want to try the H100. I still don't like H2O in my PC so I think I'm sticking with this.

So do you think it's best to use the NH-D14 with these fans Scythe 120mm "Slipstream & Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru2 140

Scythe 120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060

Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru2 140:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185158

I also heard this fan screws up your air flow circulation. If that's true then I think he'll go with the H100

Last edited:
Had the same decision to make and ended up going with the H100. As Rylan said, the H100 is pretty thin, so you wouldn't gain much with 3000 RPM fans.

I replaced the stock fans with Cougar Vortexes, which have been excellent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553002

Thanks for your info but don't you think it would make a better difference to have a airflow of 110.31 CFM then of 70.5 CFM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

Thanks for your info but don't you think it would make a better difference to have a airflow of 110.31 CFM then of 70.5 CFM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

I tried 100 CFM vs 70 CFM on the H100 and only noticed a 1-2c difference. It really is quite thin, if you've ever seen the radiator.

The sound level of the Cougar Vortex is 17.9 dBA whereas the one you linked is 37 dBA.

If your case is out of the way, or you're not sensitive to fan noise, then you'd be happy with either choice. To me, it wasn't worth the sound and vibration with the case sitting next to me on the desk.

I tried 100 CFM vs 70 CFM on the H100 and only noticed a 1-2c difference. It really is quite thin, if you've ever seen the radiator.

The sound level of the Cougar Vortex is 17.9 dBA whereas the one you linked is 37 dBA.

If your case is out of the way, or you're not sensitive to fan noise, then you'd be happy with either choice. To me, it wasn't worth the sound and vibration with the case sitting next to me on the desk.

FYI gents, 99% of the numbers in computer fan specification are outright lies and derived from a Ouija board. About the only fan CFM and dB numbers you can trust are fans OEM'd by Nidec a la Gentle Typhoons...and perhaps Corsair.

FYI gents, 99% of the numbers in computer fan specification are outright lies and derived from a Ouija board. About the only fan CFM and dB numbers you can trust are fans OEM'd by Nidec a la Gentle Typhoons...and perhaps Corsair.

You're right. As long as you keep in mind that manufacturers upsell their specifications, you can at least have the right expectations.

I think it's less about the specs and more about the experience - you can try a pair of both and use the extras for case fans, if you want to be absolutely sure in your decision.

You're right. As long as you keep in mind that manufacturers upsell their specifications, you can at least have the right expectations.

I think it's less about the specs and more about the experience - you can try a pair of both and use the extras for case fans, if you want to be absolutely sure in your decision.

It isn't upselling, it is lying by the marketing department. You cannot move 110CFM and be 17dB or even 30dB, it is simply not possible in reality.

I really do like the cougar. I also like this cougar as well .

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553006

Uhm. Neither of those will fit in a Thermaltake Level 10. They will fit in a Level 10 GT, but not the original.

Also, the scythe ap-15's are better for a skinny rad like that.

Uhm. Neither of those will fit in a Thermaltake Level 10. They will fit in a Level 10 GT, but not the original.

Also, the scythe ap-15's are better for a skinny rad like that.

lol that's what I meant He has a GT VN10001W2N.

We looked at the scythe and we wasn't to sure on it. To make it easy he wants something that has a led with a good air flow without increasing noise.

Last edited:
Back