Corsair Flash Voyager GT sucks!

pinoy

Limp Gawd
I bought a 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB3 a few months ago. Let me tell you it is horrible. The thing is unreliable in retaining stored data. Within a month files are corrupted and unreadable. The most telling are the thousands of pictures I archive and using Windows thumbnails view I quickly spot the files that are corrupt. I would say 20% are ruined. I've reformatted the drive three times in the last few months and stored my files again and every time, a month later files are corrupt. What bothers me is the drive doesn't notify me that something has gone awry. Why isn't there some kind of CRC check implemented when reading the data like with optical media?

I wouldn't want to open up hundreds of documents just to check they are still OK. The thumbnails view of archived pictures pretty much told me the drive is unreliable.

Backups, backups, backups... I'm so neurotic about losing data that I have some data backed up on four different devices in two locations.

Voyager GT is one of the best if not the best thumb drives available. Sorry you got a bad one but you are painting an entire franchise on one lame duck.

I have a 4gb that is still rocking no problems, well except that its 4gb :D but everyone that I had on it still works to this day no problem

There you got benchmarks of it and the insides to see their pasting job and how crap it is.

buy this and call it a day. FYI take out screws and apply IC diamond in it to allow better contact with heatsink and no throttling occurs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226459

The drives marketed speed are bullshit but its the fastest or one of the fastest and for 50 cents a GB for MLC flash drive its a great deal.

Granted I have seen two reports. Some people get 150+/- MBps and others get 300MBps =/- so I don't understand that so assume my speeds are what you will get. If they are faster, hey your lucky :) I couldn't be happier with it unless it was faster of course :) I went for the future proof and its been perfect.

And yes, as they said, back ups and back ups but I am really paranoid about bit rot so find a solution to prevent that.

See the benchmark I just ran for you vs the first one I have ever ran (*sort of).

As always, writes always appear to slow down over time for these flash devices for me. I assume it is wear. I have written to this thing many times. I have used it as a back up, transfer large sum of files, hold photos, and more. I used this a lot when i took my photography class so I am sure I have written terabytes on terabytes of data on this so far and I would say it has gotten little use overall. Just a batch of use here and there but a batch can be 50-150GB transfer which is why this is awesome. So maybe little use is a lot of use in terms of writes considering it always always is used in mass transfers.

*BTW all these test are done after opening the flash drive and repasting it (derp derp I forgot to save/run tests with the stock paste :/). They hardly put any thermal paste in it. The drive has throttling issues but after putting IC diamond in it. I have not seen 1 issue with it. It is really easy to take a part and do the repasting. just remember that there is a top and bottom. The heatsink (the case is the heatsink) is not reverse able or whatever...it has to be put on the same way...ahhh hard to explain. Also when you put it back together you'll feel as if its way too tight and its going to crack the die...it wont. It is just a crazy snug fit but the repasting is completely worth it and won't take long. I have pictures somewhere so if you want them remind me sometime.

I'll leave this link active for at least a week. If anyone wants it reposted PM me. I have this in my benchmark folder and it'll only take a min to repost for a short while.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ish6ho30vkrqzv0/AACGlpM7Dqr7d2Vx3DNTW-Mra?dl=0

Click on JPGs to go to sub folder with pics of the flash drive broken down

Last edited:
Back