Corsair Extends Select PSU Warranties From 7 Years To 10 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, the world’s most awarded and recommended PC power supply brand1, today announced the immediate increase in warranty from 7 years to 10 years for several series of Corsair computer power supply ranges. From today all current and future Corsair AXi, HXi, RMi and RMx PSUs will benefit from an additional three years of warranty, with no extra registration or action required by customers. Corsair’s commitment to PSU quality and longevity has always been at the heart of its entire PSU line-up, and is why millions of customers have chosen Corsair PSUs to power their PCs. This commitment isn’t just made at the manufacturing level – it’s also at the heart of Corsair’s customer support experience, ensuring customers who choose a Corsair PSU have faith and confidence in their purchase for years to come.

It’s that confidence in the durability and longevity of Corsair’s wide range of PSUs that has allowed it to increase the warranty of all AXi range (launched in 2012), HXi range (launched in 2014) and RMi/RMx range (launched in 2015) PSUs from 7 years to 10 years, ensuring buyers a decade of peace of mind for their PC’s power supply. Customers are not required to register or provide additional information to benefit from this extra coverage. The extended warranty is granted worldwide and across all eligible PSUs sold to date and on all future sales of the eligible PSUs. AXi Series™ PSUs launched with a 7 year warranty. Now have a 10 year warranty. HXi Series™ PSUs launched with a 7 year warranty. Now have a 10 year warranty. RMi Series™ PSUs launched with a 7 year warranty. Now have a 10 year warranty. RMx Series™ PSUs launched with a 7 year warranty. Now have a 10 year warranty.

Because Corsair now charges a premium for their PSUs. But they aren't building as many with Seasonic/Flextronics as they used to, so they need to enhance the warranty to keep customers.

GreatWall builds their CS series, marginal quality, WAY overpriced, especially since they have a standard 3-year warranty like the rest of the entry-level offerings.

CWT builds their RM series and Hxi series, hit-or miss depending on the model. Marginally overpriced

The high-end AX are also vastly overpriced for what you get. You can get a Seasonic 750w with 7 year warranty for $130, and Corsair is charging $150 for the same quality level part (yeah, one is platinum, but we all know that's pointless).

SeaSonic SS-750KM3 750W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com

CORSAIR AX series AX760 760W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com

Last edited:
I've been using Corsair power supplies for a long time and my original HX1000 died after 8 years and that's 24/7 use. Corsair actually still replaced it under warranty. I've had only the best experience with their products and no BS warranty. So in terms of quality and reliability, I cannot complain. That I cannot say about Seasonic branded power supplies, the two I had one was defective out of the box and replacement died only a few months later. Second lasted a few years and was replaced by Corsair, and to be honest I never looked back. Even if Corsair used Seasonic design, they still control quality and clearly they do it much better. They do cost a lot but if your system has high end gear, you can't cheap out on a power supply. In my main box I have AX860i and it's great, love the efficiency of that thing. Never looked back on money I spent on it. My HX1050 from RMA now runs a server. The only other Corsair thing I had to RMA was DDR2 memory and that was also after many years of use and overclocking back on Core 2 days. Long warranty isn't everything, product needs to be reliable as you're otherwise stuck with a non working system for a month or however long RMA takes.

I've been using Corsair power supplies for a long time and my original HX1000 died after 8 years and that's 24/7 use. Corsair actually still replaced it under warranty. I've had only the best experience with their products and no BS warranty. So in terms of quality and reliability, I cannot complain.

This mirrors my experience as well. Moved my six year old AX850 (note, not the AXi) into my new Skylake rig, and have an even older original HX520 in my wife's rig. Both are still great. I've never had to warranty a PSU with Corsair, but I have RMA'd two things, and both times the service was exceptional.

They even replaced my original HS1 headset with a brand new Vengeance 1500 pair even though the HS1 was three months out of its 2-year warranty.

I'll continue to purchase their products because of this support, no question. Knowing that any issue will be handled completely and easily is worth every penny to me.

I will grant that Corsair has fantastic warranty service. Sent them back bad memory sticks back in the day, fast turnaround and zero issues with the replacement.

But I've never had to send a DOA PSU back to anyone. What sketchy ebay seller were you buying form that gave you multiple bad Seasonic models?

Also, my only complaint here i that Corsair has vastly raised the prices they charge for their PSUs since they first started. They still make plenty of quality PSUs. But Corsair's logic here is not to lower prices slightly, but instead to extend warranties into the stratosphere.

How likely are you to want to reuse a 10-year-old PSU in your new build? While we've hit the power limits of what a system can use (and what a wall circuit can deliver), there are still changes over a decade of use when it comes to power rail mixes, connector types, etc. Or you may just tire of the color.

Corsair is betting that most enthusiasts replace their PSUs as fast as they go through the rest of their equipment, which means the extra cost of their warranty just goes to their pocketbooks.

Last edited:

How likely are you to want to reuse a 10-year-old PSU in your new build? While we've hit the power limits of what a system can use (and what a wall circuit can deliver), there are still changes over a decade of use when it comes to power rail mixes, connector types, etc. Or you may just tire of the color.

Corsair is betting that most enthusiasts replace their PSUs as fast as they go through the rest of their equipment, which means the extra cost of their warranty just goes to their pocketbooks.

I'll run my old AX PSU into the ground.. I'll be very happy if it goes another 5 years (11 in total). There's absolutely no reason to replace a working PSU if it's decently efficient (and they all are from the past 7+ years) and has the wattage you need. It's probably the least upgrade component in a PC, because a quality unit will absolutely remain useful for a decade or more. There really is no way for a decent PSU to become obsolete or outdated.

Well the last timeI had to send a psu back to corsair I had to pay forty dollars to ship it from los angles to northern cali... I could driven it cheaper... now I'm looking at the same psu which worked great until I plugged in two corsair modular cables that appearntly were wired differently... so don't buy any extra cables from them... they were listest as the correct cable in one spot and the one line that it says ax1200 not AX1200i, which the right cables say AX only on them is how they voided that nice extended warrenty on a power supply that is still under the originally warrenty... pretty it still works it just triped s circuit breaker inside the psu so that people don't use after market cables... I'm waiting to see what the person says since they sold me the cables as for it... or they simply removed the cables from the parts section for the AX1200i... hummm... fifty dollars of cables and a three hundred dollar power supply that is either a paper weight or I open it up and fix it but put my system at risk...

Im running a CX series in my main rig from dat litecoin moneys. Come at be bro before this thing get lit up.

I just got a new HX as a warranty replacement. They didn't send me the usual "refurbished unit" but a brand new unit via 2nd day. Considering the original HX was about 5 years old, I was expecting more drama.

Uhm, Corsair PSU's are made by SeaSonic ... lol

Just rebadged

Mate, did you pay any attention at post #3?o_O
Only the AX line ( AX-non i line to be exact) is made by Seasonic.
Most of the other Corsair PSUs, are built by CWT , or GreatWall, or Flextronics (*Corsair's flagship PSU line: AXi )
I like Seasonic too, but that doesn't mean that we should ignore the facts!!

I will grant that Corsair has fantastic warranty service. Sent them back bad memory sticks back in the day, fast turnaround and zero issues with the replacement.

But I've never had to send a DOA PSU back to anyone. What sketchy ebay seller were you buying form that gave you multiple bad Seasonic models?

Also, my only complaint here i that Corsair has vastly raised the prices they charge for their PSUs since they first started. They still make plenty of quality PSUs. But Corsair's logic here is not to lower prices slightly, but instead to extend warranties into the stratosphere.

Well, that sketchy eBay seller would be Newegg. My original HX1000 was over $300 IIRC but I never felt it was wasted money, it worked great and was rock solid. Used to use PC Power & Cooling back in the day for workstations before they got bought out). I do not buy any used computer parts by the way. Speaking of reusing power supply in a new build, hard to say probably not but they certainly can be used as very little has changed except for efficiency. Connectors are all the same, it can certainly work as a temp setup or emergency backup during RMA. I still use my old gaming box as a media server (put a gimpy video card, downgraded power supply, turned off overclocking). I think 10 year warranty isn't necessarily that you will reuse it after 10 years but that it is expected to last that long. A 10 year old system would be a 1st gen Core2Duo which is still acceptable for basic internet use or kids beater system (especially with a small SSD thrown in).

I just got a new HX as a warranty replacement. They didn't send me the usual "refurbished unit" but a brand new unit via 2nd day. Considering the original HX was about 5 years old, I was expecting more drama.

Same here, got a brand new HX1050 to replace original HX1000 which was probably out of warranty (I couldn't find any receipt or anything for it). It arrived pretty quickly as well. I had it back since Core2 days and it died a couple of years ago. Maybe Corsair is overpriced but they do stand behind their products should the occasional one go bad.

Multiple posts...

So you admit you wouldn't reuse a PSU in a build, and you never actually used the Corsair warranty on previous purchases, but you STILL SWEAR BY THEM?

Sounds to me like you just validated my whole original post point for me :D

You don't care about this warranty extension. You don't care how many different OEMs Corsair is selling themselves to either. You're just one of many unwavering true believers who buys a new Corsair PSU with every build.

I can understand why you'd be pissed about Seasonic, but I think you just got an unlucky break regarding one bad shipment. Otherwise, their PSUs would have a lot worse rating on places like Newegg. Those two products I linked (Corsair and Seasonic) are BOTH rated four stars with over a hundred reviews each, so the quality control is essentially equal.

There are plenty of DOA reports for both supplies.

Last edited:
The closest thing I've had to a "positive" experience with Corsair was that they didn't give me too many problems after my AX1200 went bad about a year after buying it.

I started to swear by corsair after I had some issues with antec back in the day.

If you won't reuse a PSU, then you don't have faith in it or the brand. A modern quality PSU, when it dies, won't take other components with it. You should be able to get a decade out of a quality PSU. I currently have a SeaSonic S12-II 500W, purchased May 2008 powering my backup system. Warranty was five years and it has been used in multiple builds with a typical up-time of 16 hours/day over nearly 8 years.

Corsair is counting on people upgrading the PSU when they upgrade other components, because while my above statement is 100% true, most people don't believe it and honestly believe that a PSU shouldn't be reused.

Still using their original HX620 in my main rig. Never had any complaints.

HOW DARE YOU GET GOOD VALUE FROM YOUR PURCHASE :D

Do you know what you've done? I'll tell you what you've done:

All Corsair ever wanted was an island in French Polynesia.

But now thanks to people like you, I see an island without an owner. If things keep going the way they are, Corsair will not get their tropical paradise!

my original hx1000 died after 6.5 years of 24/7 operation. Good psu for the most part i would think.

Still using their original HX620 in my main rig. Never had any complaints.

I used a HX520 until last year, originally purchased when they first launched. I only stopped using it while investigating a coil whine issue. Good stuff, now it sits in a box as a backup.

I see there is no cx owners chiming in, there is a reason for that :)

I have several CX430s being used in budget builds, still going strong. I would not touch them for any higher end builds though.

Wow 24/7 operation for almost 7 years of operation. I would think that it would have lasted for more than that though. What happened to it when it died/started dying?

intermittent blue screens, every day or 2. then just flat out stopped booting. ran my oc'd i7 920 @3.8 nicely for years hah. finally retired this pc too.

I have the original HX850 that was given the gold review here that I purchased in 2009. I'm going to be using it to power my 6700k build (replacing cpu, mobo, ram, cooler, ssd) while reusing my GTX 680x2 for now.

Is it too risky to reuse this PSU?

I have the original HX850 that was given the gold review here that I purchased in 2009. I'm going to be using it to power my 6700k build (replacing cpu, mobo, ram, cooler, ssd) while reusing my GTX 680x2 for now.

Is it too risky to reuse this PSU?

No, you'll be fine.

Back