Corsair CX750 Bronze rated Power Supply $39.99 after MIR thru 06/04/15

I highly recommend checking out HardOCP's review of this unit before purchasing.

I read this from the conclusion's page on that review.

"Is that an iceberg on the horizon? Yes, yes it is, and the Corsair CX750 sails right into and then goes straight to a watery grave."

I wanted a higher wattage psu to replace my 550w but seems this is worse :/

I remember a few years ago, no matter the OEM, Corsair PSUs were absolutely solid. Seasonic or CWT, they worked, and worked well. The only Corsair PSUs I have purchased in the last 3 years have been CX430s, and never a return. What happened? Did I miss a buyout of Corsair or just increased penny pinching?

I remember a few years ago, no matter the OEM, Corsair PSUs were absolutely solid. Seasonic or CWT, they worked, and worked well. The only Corsair PSUs I have purchased in the last 3 years have been CX430s, and never a return. What happened? Did I miss a buyout of Corsair or just increased penny pinching?

Increased competition in the market is probably a major factor. Also willing to bet Corsair's marketing department isn't exactly in touch with Corsair's past history of great PSUs.

I think the CX430 is just different. From what I've read, that one is actually a good model. Apparently this doesn't hold up going to higher wattages.

They are still solid. The manufacturer is irreverent cause all the PSU's are Corsairs designs. They aren't Seasonic designs with a Corsair Logo strapped on it.

They are still solid. The manufacturer is irreverent cause all the PSU's are Corsairs designs. They aren't Seasonic designs with a Corsair Logo strapped on it.
Ahh no. As the review I posted earlier has shown, Corsair is no longer the rock-solid PSU choice we all loved several years ago.

In addition, the manufacturer is relevant: PSU companies chooses a PSU design from the manufacturers, add, change or do nothing to the design, then tell the manufacturers to build their modified or non-modified design. PSU companies don't come up with PSU designs out of nowhere.

With that said, yes the PSU company is still ultimately the one responsible since they have the final say in the PSU design from a PSU manufacturer. So in this case, yes you can still blame Corsair for releasing a shoddy PSU like the CX750. Or even the CS550M and RM750:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/01/15/corsair_cs550m_550w_power_supply_review/
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/

Yes I understand that they fixed the fan issue in the RM. That still doesn't excuse Corsair for releasing PSUs that are of lower quality than their previous designs while charging the same price for them.

Back