Corsair Carbide Series AIR 540 Computer Case Review @ [H]

this case is worth all the shit I will go through xferring my gaming rig guts into it. actually it will be fun.. I think I will work in an h100 cooler while I am at it. :)

I wish it was an aluminum case instead of plastic. Can't complain much considering the price though!

I just finished a new build in one of these cases. Was the easiest cabling I ever dealt with - looks really great with this Maximus MB. Plus it runs quiet and keeps everything super cool. Just took a look. CPU at 27-28c while surfing. I put the H100i radiator in the top with the fans pushing the air up thru the radiator. I am really happy with this case.

FYI - got mine from NewEgg. It was a bit more, but there was no issue on availability.

Finally got mine from Amazon today, just cracked it open and I have to say I am pretty happy with it. I gotta move everything over from my AeroCool Strike-X Air and I am waiting on some fans from Amazon to arrive tomorrow, so I may not get to throwing it all together until then. I will try to throw up some pics of the conversion.

Looking forward to nabbing this case after christmas and putting in a Swiftech H220 (if I can get my hands on one, Corsair H110 if not). I think I'll also swap out the fans for some Noctua NF-A14s! Help keep it quieter.

Love this case. Takes me back to my (inherited - no chance I could have ever bought one) NeXT cube days. Upgraded from a recently purchased Phantom 630 which is now headed off to CL.

Actually the Air 540 was in development for months before the XB was released.

We knew a lot of people would complain about having only two 3.5" drives, but we also know that less and less people are stocking up on storage drives in their main systems.

With the availability of 4TB drives, NAS boxes, and cloud storage like dropbox or google drive, a lot of people aren't storing HUGE amounts of data in their main system anymore.

I realize we're going to alienate some people, but the Air 540 was never designed to be a file server. We designed it to be a great case for overclocking and cooling.

I think you are very much misinformed. Cloud storage is fine, but there are MANY of us with multiple terabytes of games,musc and movies. And even that being said, a case like this is a waste of space if its not being used for a high end machine that requires a larger storage capacity. Maybe you can afford to store 16 terabytes online, I can't!

I think you are very much misinformed. Cloud storage is fine, but there are MANY of us with multiple terabytes of games,musc and movies. And even that being said, a case like this is a waste of space if its not being used for a high end machine that requires a larger storage capacity. Maybe you can afford to store 16 terabytes online, I can't!

I respect that opinion. I don't necessarily share it, however. I don't use cloud storage for my personal stuff, I use a NAS box. It's just easier for all the devices I have in the house.

If you go through the threads where people post pictures of their builds, you'll find that most of them don't have more than two 3.5" drives installed. There are many of with 3 or more, sure. But the majority still are using less and less 3.5" drives.

Most people don't need 16TB of storage, either.

This case wasn't designed for maximum storage capacity - if it were we would have made many changes to the design. As it stands now, if you want a case that can accommodate huge numbers of hard drives, there are lots of other options from Corsair or our competitors.

The Air 540 is all about cooling. Not storage.

This case looks great. I'm in the middle of a tear down and rebuild, this just might be the ticket.

The case does look very nice. I suggested it to one of my buddies looking to build a new rig.

Hmm, I was looking at this case at Frys the other day, depending on how my Corsair issue pans out I may be getting rid of my RV03 and picking this case up, for the price it cant be beat.

Does anyone know if the fans in this case are identical to AF140's? Corsairs website says the are AF140L's and I am curious as to the difference between the two models.

Does anyone know if the fans in this case are identical to AF140's? Corsairs website says the are AF140L's and I am curious as to the difference between the two models.

They have very similar performance characteristics but the AF140 retail versions come with multiple colored rings to swap out for cosmetic purposes, rubber corners to prevent sound transfer, and a little more accurate motor so that the variance in RPM isn't quite as much. The impeller design and interior housing design is the same - at the same RPM, they'll produce the same CFM, Static Pressure, etc.

This case would be perfect for me. Tons of air cooling and room. Just stick my stuff in there, add an h100 and I'm good to go.

Went to MC on Saturday....bought me one. Got it assembled.

There are cases that it performs like, or even better than, that cost more money and I am thinking might not be of the same quality. It's simple, the looks from the front are decent, but the window is greatness. Especially with this case designed the way it is. You get a clean look at all the hardware. It's probably air flow overkill for my rig, but the deal is because of that it's actually really quiet. I am going to have to figure out how to get SLI\Xfire going now to take advantage of all that airflow :eek:

I got mine yesterday, retired my 6 year old Coolermaster Cosmos RC1000 case. Wow what a diffrince in temps it has made, i had the cosmos with 2x 140mm fans on the side and top with 120mm at bottom and rear running at 7v, MB - 36C CPU, 23C & GPU 60C.

With the 540 and 2x 140mm front, 2x 140mm top and 1x 140 at the rear all running at 5v i get MB -28C, CPU 17C and GPU 47C. Pretty impressive.

I have 1 gripe the internal USB3.0 header is too short for my Gigabyte FXA990 UD3 motherboard so will need to try and find an extension. Can only find 1 type which is clashing blue and can only get it from China. Guess i'll need to get that and spray it black.

If that's your only gripe, then that's not bad at all!

I had the opportunity to build a buddy of mine a system in this case yesterday and I was extremely impressed with it. It was an absolute joy to build in and the system looked very nice once it was assembled. I know what case I'll recommend to everyone else who likes the aesthetics of this design.

Wow, the idle GPU temperatures of this case are really good. Better than the 900D, and the load temps run right with it.

Corsair needs to make a more premium case with this same design concept. Obsidian Cube please, with more drive bays.

Still thinking between 540 and 600T. Btw how's the bottom hole does it really need a dust filter?

Still thinking between 540 and 600T. Btw how's the bottom hole does it really need a dust filter?

If you read the [H] reviews, the 540 is better than a 600T performance wise. That center GPU on the 600T is pretty warm. Your comparison should really be Air 540, 750D, or 900D depending on components, cooling method and space constraints.

Yes, you should have a dust filter on the bottom, because bottom fans are intakes.

I've finally gotten bored with my first gen I-5 and decided to do a total system build, So while shopping for parts, I saw this case at the Egg and fell in love with it.

After reading the Hard review I've decided it will be the center piece of my new build, though I am going to paint the front and top mesh to match the ROG red of the mobo I am getting. I am thinking this will be the perfect platform to do my first water cooled build.

What do you think of it so far? I really enjoyed building my friend's system using that case. If I were building today, it would definitely be the case I would go with.

Well bought it at amazon still waiting for it to be shipped. :( ETA 2-3weeks since I lived on an island they're the only one that shipping less here.

Sorry to hear that. We were lucky enough when I built my friend's system that the local Fry's had one in stock. Hope you enjoy it once you receive it ;)

Saw the noise video and frankly stunned at how loud it is. Good grief.

Perhaps dump the stock fans and replace with Noctua?

I've had mine since Corsair's first shipment. I love this case but the stock fans are definitely not as good/quiet as the SP120's I replaced them with.

Saw the noise video and frankly stunned at how loud it is. Good grief.

Perhaps dump the stock fans and replace with Noctua?

Got my case yesterday! Very Pleased with it :D only gripe is the plastic casing for the HD and SSD seems flimsy other than that everything is great.

Before

After

What kind of Airflow should I be going for, Should I be sucking air flow through the top or the back. I have quite a bit of dust in my apartment.

Here are a couple shots of the build I did for my buddy. Have to say it was one of the smoothest builds I've ever done.

IMG_0911_zps171dbaa3.jpg

IMG_0908_zpsd3f4c394.jpg

Still need to reroute a couple of the cables and cut off a tag or two to clean it up, but it looks pretty clean :D

I just got this case and I must say, not only is it the sexiest/practical case I have ever owned, but it was the easiest build/transfer I have ever done. Coming from a corsair Carbide 500r, this case simply blows anything I have owned (several) out of the water.

Agreed. Easiest transfer for me as well.

@Zidane
My suggestion would be put the case on a table not on the ground and do the same setup (Front Intake).

I've had this case for a while and like it a lot with a few caveats. First, the 5.25 slots being sideways has taken one water cooler off the table because the res/pump were built for that slot. Second, the bottom is open, no filter, same as top. I bought a filter kit for $70 to keep all the dust out. I was easily able to install a push/pull watercooler in the front with additional fan mounts to eliminate the dead spot when a fan is right up against a radiator. The extra gaskets, or mounts cannot be larger than 6mm, otherwise your video card will not slot in. It's really nice having all the extra cable holes, they really make cable management easy and they match the holes with where the fan headers would be, so easy to manage these. I don't care so much for the plastic feel of the outside of the case, it's not smooth, rather rough and little scratches will show up, but that's subjective overall. For the price, its a great case and can easily recommend it to anyone looking for a new build and something different.

Got this case last night - been looking to go with a liquid loop cooling system, and this seemed ideal for it.
I really love it, BUT there are still versions of it floating around with short I/O wires. Of course mine happened to be one of those. Corsair is apparently sending out replacements at no charge on their site, but it's still a bit of a hassle. Once I have that...oh my! Love all of the space to work and the hot swap functionality.

Curious as to how temps are on gpu's with non-leafblower coolers or nonref coolers like my 7990.

My case is starting to develop a really annoying vibration/resonance all the time. If I put my hand on certain spots and push slightly the noise will completely stop.

Pretty annoying.

Back