Corsair Carbide Series AIR 540 Computer Case Review @ [H]

Hmm very tempting case

Nothing wrong with my lian li tho

The sideway orientation of the drive bays keeps this case from being great. No bay reservoir option for such due to this oversight/design flaw is inexcusable. *SNIP* As you said the build quality is not up to par compared to other Corsair cases.

Why can't you use a bay reservoir in the AIR 540? As long as the inlet is on top and the outlet on the bottom there should be no issues at all. I've done it a million times. :confused:

And, as far as repeating "not up to par" stuff you hear on the internet, we can tell you first hand, if there were quality / construction issues, we would have told you. Your best bet, ask the people here that actually own one.

h100i fits easily. I'm uploading some photos of what I did with mine over the weekend. I took out the stock fans from the case and the h100i and replaced everything with Corsair's SP120 PWM fans. It worked out extremely well...I used the Corsair Link software to setup custom fan speeds for the 2 lower front fans. Their speed is based on the temperature of my hottest graphics card. The machine is under my desk right now and I can't hear it while I'm typing this up. When I'm gaming, it'll ramp up but even then it's extremely quiet compared to my past systems. (alot of that has to be credited to the very nice tone coming out of the 780gtx's fan when at full throttle)

I'm too lazy to go through and edit/comment the photos right now but here's a link to the album:

Corsair Carbide Air 540

This is awesome man, thanks so much for all the pics! You are doing basically exactly what I want to do with it haha! I might have to break down and throw this on the amazon card later!

Wow Steve, restoring my faith in the [H] :D

Also can either Redbeard or the [H] comment on the BS "1 to 4 month" shipping time with Amazon?

Probably has to do with the retail channels not even having it in stock yet. Even the egg lists it as a preorder not to arrive at the end of the month. Just order direct from corsair. I'll be ordering one myself .

Units should start arriving at online stores very soon.

h100i fits easily. I'm uploading some photos of what I did with mine over the weekend. I took out the stock fans from the case and the h100i and replaced everything with Corsair's SP120 PWM fans. It worked out extremely well...I used the Corsair Link software to setup custom fan speeds for the 2 lower front fans. Their speed is based on the temperature of my hottest graphics card. The machine is under my desk right now and I can't hear it while I'm typing this up. When I'm gaming, it'll ramp up but even then it's extremely quiet compared to my past systems. (alot of that has to be credited to the very nice tone coming out of the 780gtx's fan when at full throttle)

I'm too lazy to go through and edit/comment the photos right now but here's a link to the album:

Corsair Carbide Air 540

Very nice build I think I'm going to do a similar one.

I shall be selling my fusion case and picking this up.

This may be my first non-Antec case in a few years!

Finally got mine in today after UPS decided to not deliver it yesterday:mad:. I made a ghetto bottom filter out of some snake wire and landscaping cloth I had in the workshop. It came out ok for a quick and dirty. Here are a couple of pics.

CIMG0265.jpg

CIMG0268.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

Last edited:
I think I came late to the party.

Amazon has mine shipping from Sept 1st to Oct 18. Hopefully it'll come sooner than expected!

I ordered from Corsair on Monday... it's "ready to ship" but hasn't shipped yet. *Sigh*

Finally got mine in today after UPS decided to not deliver it yesterday:mad:. I made a ghetto bottom filter out of some snake wire and landscaping cloth I had in the workshop. It came out ok for a quick and dirty. Here are a couple of pics.

Nice!

I ordered on the 8th. I called a few minutes ago and they said it would likely ship on the 18th. Then it would arrive on the 25th. I'm guessing I'll just have to cancel my order, all of my parts for my build will arrive by Monday (7/15). I don't think I can wait 10 days for the case to show up. Damn.

I ordered on the 8th. I called a few minutes ago and they said it would likely ship on the 18th. Then it would arrive on the 25th. I'm guessing I'll just have to cancel my order, all of my parts for my build will arrive by Monday (7/15). I don't think I can wait 10 days for the case to show up. Damn.

Build that computer in a cardboard box until the case arrives! I've done it!

I am REALLY wanting to order this case, but I am waiting to Amazon has a definitive date. Also because when I order now, even with prime, its saying the shipping is like 3 times as much, which is strange.

Almost found my true love, but 2x 3.5" bay is just not enough for me. I find it weird that they have more 2.5" bay for SSD than the standard HDD. Would have been perfect if it had 4x HDD and 2x SSD bay.

Yep. There's other needs for tons of storage than file servers. This case is not for those people. It's for folks with 4x SSD RAID 0 boot volumes and are chasing epeen benchmark numbers.

Really, really tempted by this case but have a couple of HAF932's for now and will probably wait to see if they do a revision or an upgraded version of the A540.

Some design revisions that spring to mind:-

The bottom panel - design it exactly the same as the front and top with a removable grill and supply the same dust filters for all three.

Remove the fixed feet mouldings and replace with feet that can be removed and relocated to the right side panel. Suitable blanks to cover unused feet mounting holes. May want to duplicate design of these blanks as fixed mouldings on the other surfaces to keep symetrical.

These three things together would allow vertical or horizontal positioning and keep things looking nice.

Basically the main chamber cooling needs to be uniform around the three sides.

Make the distance from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the motherboard the same as from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case, fit grommet lined holes the same.

Fit the same fan mounting holes at the bottom of the case as at the top so that radiators can be fitted in either position.

Make the hot swap 3.5" sata bays removeable and fixed via the standard fan mounting positions in either of these locations. Probably could make the unit double height to fix up to four drives.

Provide an optional mesh side panel to the window option, have mounting positions on this door to fix 120/140 fans/radiators or a larger fan (200/220?) similar to the side panel mountings on a CM HAF.

Make better use of the space above the ssd drive cage. Perhaps a removeable, vertically orientated 3.5" cage in there.

Include a couple of 80mm mounting holes in the back ventilattion panel for fans. Alternatively, make the compartment slightly wider to fit 120 or 140 fans - could make the 3.5" cage horizontal then.

Suitable ventillation mesh at the front of the right compartment but keep design different/simpler than the full height vent panel on the left.

Just a thought... :)

There has still been no updates on Amazon's site regarding stock or shipments. I did notice they took most of the pics down though, which I thought was weird. I am hoping to see some kind of update from Amazon before I give up.

There has still been no updates on Amazon's site regarding stock or shipments. I did notice they took most of the pics down though, which I thought was weird. I am hoping to see some kind of update from Amazon before I give up.

Seems this case is hard to get ahold of! I put an order into Corsair's website late at night on the 7th, and still haven't received a shipping notification. Oh well. :(

Seems this case is hard to get ahold of! I put an order into Corsair's website late at night on the 7th, and still haven't received a shipping notification. Oh well. :(

same here, ordered on the 8th. I called yesterday and my order is supposed to ship tomorrow. If it doesn't then I'll just cancel it.

Cancelled my order. Ship date was supposed to be today, now it's Monday. Wouldn't count on Monday either based on their widget washy response

Great, I just ordered one today. If I don't get some forward movement by Monday, I'll cancel it and wait for Amazon to get it in stock.

Great, I just ordered one today. If I don't get some forward movement by Monday, I'll cancel it and wait for Amazon to get it in stock.

There's no way you could order today and get it shipped by Monday. I've been waiting for 10 days and the sliding ship date is unacceptable at this point. I have every component ready for an install except for the case.

The delayed shipping is unfortunate. I'd probably be more upset if I wasn't just changing cases, considering they listed it as in stock and set to be shipped by July 9th (according to the graphic on the product page). Still, a communication email would be nice.

coming from lian li land, a removable motherboard tray would be fantastic

Dam, still no update on Amazon, and that is the only place I can justify buying it. Take some awesome teaser pics for the rest of us!

Kept the order, it shipped today and will delivered on Monday. Not Amazon speeds, but acceptable!

I have been refreshing the Amazon page at work all day, hoping for a stock update!!

My case arrived today and I transferred my system over. I have to give credit to UPS for being extremely quick; it shipped late at night on the 22nd and managed to arrive, nearly a thousand miles away, at my door by noon on the 25th. Not bad for basic ground!

The case itself is certainly very nice, although it is wider than I imagined. I probably should have checked the dimensions before ordering. Thankfully, it does (barely) fit on my desk.

It is obviously louder at idle than my Fractal R3 was, but it may actually be quieter when under load. For a system with eight fans and two graphics cards, it is doing very well.

My only complaints, and they are minor ones, are that the cables for power, reset, etc. are barely adequate in length. My motherboard puts those connections in a bad spot, so it does share the blame, but a little more length would have been welcome.

For future improvements, I would like to see optional mounting spaces on the bottom for some more fans. I wanted to try a positive pressure setup out instead of the more neutral configurations I usually end up with, so I had to resort to mounting the fans at the top as intakes. Thankfully, two 140MM magnetic fan filters (Silverstone, purchased off Amazon) fit perfectly under the top mesh. Fan setup ended up as follows: 3 x Noctua NF-P12 front intakes, 2 x Noctua NF-S12 top intakes, NF-P14 rear exhaust, with 2 x Noctua NF-P12 PWM fans on the NH-D14. For whatever reason, the Z87-G45 will only adjust fan speed on the CPU headers if you use PWM, so I couldn't leave the stock fans on the D14.

I'd post some pictures, but my phone's camera is terrible, and no one really wants to see a bunch of poopy brown fans anyways.

I really like this case but my lian Li is fantastic...

Looks like a very awesome case.... they have these at my local Fry's so I checked it out more thoroughly there... super nice case. I think I might finally move out of my TJ09 for one of these... the size, construction, separation of components, and airflow design is really good..

Back