Corsair Carbide Series 400R Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Legit Reviews had nothing but nice things to say about Corsair's Carbide Series 400R case. Definitely a great looking case that won't break your budget.

Corsair simply nailed it with the Carbide Series 400R mid-tower case. The first thing I noticed taking this steel case out of the box was it is fairly light at under 16 pounds! It was very sturdy and I didn't feel like I was going to be breaking plastic parts while reviewing the case. The elegant sleek design may escape you are first look but it is certainly there. It may take the first time for you to see the PC turned on to see how well it works with the white LED lights provided on the front panels and front case fans.

There is a great review by TimetoLiveCustoms on youtube as well, if you don't mind Tim talking for 33 minutes. He does a good job of going over the case. Can't wait to see the differences between this and the 500R. Just have to wait till September I guess.

Just picked one up for myself.

Going from a thermaltake armor+ to this is almost like heaven. I LOVE my old thermaltake(powder coated black interior, custom cut panels), but it was time to move onto something newer. I'm glad I went with the 400R.

Avoid video reviews, they are horrible, and shouldn't be condoned.

Nice case. I think I would prefer this over the 900 because of the size and look.

I typically only like windowed cases but this one looks like a solid case even without the window,

It has everything I want, including the lack of a window, and except for a vertical airflow setup. Having built a machine for my dad in a Silverstone Raven RV-02, I've been amazed at how quiet and cool it runs. I want somthing with that vertical flow setup but that looks less ricer, lik the FT-02, but I don't want to have to shell out $250 for it. I'd rather not have LEDs in the fans either. I know the reviewer apparently likes white LEDs, but unless very well implemented as in some of the well designed watercooling setups, it just winds up looking like a ricer built a computer.

It has everything I want, including the lack of a window, and except for a vertical airflow setup. Having built a machine for my dad in a Silverstone Raven RV-02, I've been amazed at how quiet and cool it runs. I want somthing with that vertical flow setup but that looks less ricer, lik the FT-02, but I don't want to have to shell out $250 for it. I'd rather not have LEDs in the fans either. I know the reviewer apparently likes white LEDs, but unless very well implemented as in some of the well designed watercooling setups, it just winds up looking like a ricer built a computer.

The case has an LED on/off switch.

Are the 400's available for sale in the US? I keep checking on Amazon and New Egg but neither one has them available yet. Amazon lists the 400, but it is shown as "out of stock" which makes me think they aren't going to hit the retail chain for a little bit.

I picked up an H50 a few weeks ago at Best Buy for $30 (I had a few gift cards from recycling some old TV's) and was thinking about building a new rig in a 400.

No they aren't available yet. From a corsair rep saying that they are in production and are shipped to retailers. Will be here within september.

400Rs have started showing up at resellers. You should see them very soon.

Newegg just added the carbide 500R case to their site but I have not seen the 400R there yet.

Noticed that, the second picture has the first picture in the background, and the third one is from the black model. Weird.
I am annoyed though, I want to see the 400R up on there!

So far, I regret my foray into a smaller case. Even though my ThermalTake armor is old, it's mine, and SOOO much easier to work with than these horrible "PSU on the bottom" small case designs. I was able to hide most if not all the cables, now in this case I regret the TIME spent more than the money spent.

Nice case though, I'm sure when I have more patience I'll make it work. I needed the front panel USB3 connectors which is why I bought into this case.

It feels cheap, looks cheap and hooks up cheap. Everything about the case is well thought out, but cheap.
Hard drive caddies are not to use, even my SSD with it's 3.5" adapter fits into the caddy to avoid using screws. Optical bay works well as a tool-less design also.
The ability to shut off the front fan LED's without having to mod anything is a HUGE plus, and the white LED's are quite tasteful looking. Not to ricer/over-done.

img0496pk.jpg

img0488gj.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics only have my 3Gs available.

Last edited:
I didn't know it was possible to do a horrible job at wire management in a Corsair case ;p

:edit: fyi, psu on the bottom is pretty much the new standard these days. It's fairly annoying to get a case where it is not on the bottom.

While it may look "horrible" it's all tucked into where it can go. The front panel connectors are not long enough to fish through the back to hook up with my board without seriously stressing the connectors(USB3) and just too short(HDD/pwr/reset).

Also, I did state that when I have more patience to work with the case it'll be updated. For now it works and doesn't affect air flow. I'll probably just make up a powder coated plate to cover up the area between the mobo and ODD mounts.

PSU on the bottom is annoying, and part of the reason I've been avoiding doing the upgrade for so long. Sadly I need USB on the front now. Boourns. A well done case with PSU on the top(armor) makes all the difference. Hmm now I have an idea, I'll just harvest the parts out of the 400R into my armor+ hahah.

Last edited:
While it may look "horrible" it's all tucked into where it can go. The front panel connectors are not long enough to fish through the back to hook up with my board without seriously stressing the connectors(USB3) and just too short(HDD/pwr/reset).

Also, I did state that when I have more patience to work with the case it'll be updated. For now it works and doesn't affect air flow. I'll probably just make up a powder coated plate to cover up the area between the mobo and ODD mounts.

PSU on the bottom is annoying, and part of the reason I've been avoiding doing the upgrade for so long. Sadly I need USB on the front now. Boourns. A well done case with PSU on the top(armor) makes all the difference. Hmm now I have an idea, I'll just harvest the parts out of the 400R into my armor+ hahah.

Why don't you like bottom mounted PSUs? I can't stand top mounted ones anymore. I avoid any case with them that way.

While it may look "horrible" it's all tucked into where it can go.
Somehow I have my doubts, look at this page from Guru3D's review of the case. You didn't tuck anything anywhere it could have gone lol. I hope you do update the case. Even if I felt slightly underwhelmed by a case, I still would spend time making sure I put it together right.

PSU on the bottom is annoying, and part of the reason I've been avoiding doing the upgrade for so long.
What does the PSU on the bottom actually effect on your build? I only see complaints about case wires not reaching the mobo properly, and even then, compared to what Corsair did and looking at your own photo, I don't buy that sticking the wire through the top grommet and having it come out the bottom one will cause a great deal of stress. I am just curious really. I think the only thing I have run into with bottom mounts is the PSU not having a long enough wire to reach the mobo cpu power plug when it is routed behind the board.

Last edited:
I only meant it's "tucked in" as it's not impeding airflow currently. That's all.

It's all put together "right", the ONLY thing moving cables in the future will allow me is aesthetics. Nothing more.

I don't enjoy the look of PSU on the bottom and I feel running cables has always been more efficient working with PSU on the top designs or the RV03 from Silverstone.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=989658&page=83

My old case is up there, to show(more or less) what I was coming from.

I really need a camera, hahah.

lol I hate $19.99 shipping ;p
That third photo is an "Item Demonstration" showing the case loaded up with cards in SLI. Is Corsair the first company to get approved by Newegg to have other products in their photo like that? Don't recall seeing other cases shown like that there... Wish they had chosen a straight into the side view instead of an angled shot for the item demonstration.

They're using our photos for now as they haven't taken their own shots yet.

Back