Corsair Carbide 300R Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you need a new case but you are on a tight budget, Vortez says the Corsair Carbide 300R case is just what you are looking for.

Last year Corsair boldly introduced the Carbide Series – a lineup of computer chassis that delivered finesse to gamer and enthusiast alike. Already in the lineup are 400R and 500R and kicking off 2012 is the new 300R – a compact mid-tower with all the features, style and quality that Corsair fans have come to expect but at a lower cost.

I just bought this case a couple days ago, but have yet to move into it. Regardless, my personal impressions are as follows,

Positives
1. Lots of Airflow - 7 total fan spots: 6 120mm/ 140mm (x2 front, x2 side, x2 top) + 1 120mm (back)
2. Looks good and it's all black, even on the inside
3. Hard drive bays are facing horizontally, so no issues with big vid Cards
4. Air Vent for PSU
5. Dust covers for the front two fans and the PSU vent
6. Cable management holes
7. Lots of thumb screw usuage
8. 2x USB 3.0 ports on the front panel
9. LOTS of extra screws of different types
10. Great value for a solid built case, roughly $80

Neutral
1. Smaller-sized case, but can fit a lot, as long as the limited number of bays won't hinder your build (4 HD bays, 3 5.25" bays)

Negatives
1. The bendable "clips" for the metal mesh over the front and top fan panels feel like they will break off if you took the panels out more than once
2. The dust cover on the front panel isn't removable, so cleaning it might be an issue - having to have to remove the entire front panel to thoroughly clean it will be
3. Does not come with a USB 2.0 to 3.0 cable, so you can't use the USB 3.0 ports if you have an older mobo, unless you buy that cable directly from Corsair
4. No side window (personal preference)
5. Corsair will NOT necessarily get back to you within 24 hours if you ask them a question ;)

Overall, I think you get more than what you pay for, but the negatives I listed are the only things holding me back from saying this case is perfect for me. I'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to moving in.

Last edited:
So if I have a 775 mobo, will I need to buy a seperate usb 2.0 to 3.0 cable so that my usb 2.0 will work with front connections?

So if I have a 775 mobo, will I need to buy a seperate usb 2.0 to 3.0 cable so that my usb 2.0 will work with front connections?

Yes, the needed cable to convert the one in the case, to hook up to a USB 2.0 connection on an older 775 mobo, is found in the Corsair Carbide accessory box ($5 + shipping?). I don't know where else to buy the needed cable, except directly through Corsair.

So if I have a 775 mobo.

If you have a 775 mobo that doesn't have a USB 3.0 connection, you'll need the Corsair USB 3.0 to 2.0 converter cable. It ships in all the new, more expensive Corsair cases. I think they wanted to keep the price down on the 300R :rolleyes:

steel and plastic

heh are there other building materials? :p

I get what your saying though...

This case will eventually be had for 60-70 bucks at Microcenter and when there are online deals. I think it might be worth that much. When the price of a case starts reaching the century mark and there is no aluminium and the bezels are still plastic... it makes me wonder. After all Lian Li makes some great Mid Tower Ally cases around the hundred dollar mark so I don't think it's too much to ask for some different bezel materials....

heh are there other building materials? :p

I get what your saying though...

This case will eventually be had for 60-70 bucks at Microcenter and when there are online deals. I think it might be worth that much. When the price of a case starts reaching the century mark and there is no aluminium and the bezels are still plastic... it makes me wonder. After all Lian Li makes some great Mid Tower Ally cases around the hundred dollar mark so I don't think it's too much to ask for some different bezel materials....

I don't know if you saw my post above, but this case is now on sale at MC for $66.99. It's a great deal and a beautiful case regardless if the bezel is plastic or not. But again, these types of things are very subjective. As long as you're happy with whatever you got, I think that's all that matters.

I don't know if you saw my post above, but this case is now on sale at MC for $66.99. It's a great deal and a beautiful case regardless if the bezel is plastic or not. But again, these types of things are very subjective. As long as you're happy with whatever you got, I think that's all that matters.

For 67 bucks I think that's a solid deal, your right a "deal" is very subjective. I would def buy this chassis for that amount, I think I said as much in my post.

It's "retail" price of $89 dollars elsewhere I am not so sure about.

I just see alot of around 100 dollar cases that are Steel / Plastic and wonder how much that chassis really cost to produce.

Back