Corsair C4D RAM question...

Ok, here we go..
here is the SPD tab in cpu-z
cpuzspd.jpg

As far as I know, I have always from day one, ran timings and voltages as per the epp#1 table. Why are there two JDEC tables, and what Command Rate would those be run at? Why would I want to set my timings/volts at the JDEC specs?

Also, If I wanted to add another 2GB, should I use the exact same ram? or would there be compatibility issues with different ram? I don't really want to pay the premium price for another 2GB kit of C4D... but I have been a life time long supporter of Corsair. I don't know...

the jedec settings are what your board would default to with EPP disabled, or if you didn't have EPP.

btw, you should never use more voltage than you have to. if your ram works fine at the settings you have with 1.8v, there is no sense is setting it to 2.1v, it just makes more heat and the ram will have a shorter lifespan ;)

the jedec settings are what your board would default to with EPP disabled, or if you didn't have EPP.

btw, you should never use more voltage than you have to. if your ram works fine at the settings you have with 1.8v, there is no sense is setting it to 2.1v, it just makes more heat and the ram will have a shorter lifespan ;)

That's what I thought... Just weird though...

I'll try lowering the voltage down to 1.8 and see what happens.

i'd take small steps and check for stability along the way ;)

as a side note, i'd advise that you get the same ram again if you buy more, since mixing ram isn't always smart. you often can get away with mixing it up, but why risk it? :p

i'd take small steps and check for stability along the way ;)

as a side note, i'd advise that you get the same ram again if you buy more, since mixing ram isn't always smart. you often can get away with mixing it up, but why risk it? :p

That's what i'm afraid of. I really want to move to 4GB of ram, but I cant even find the C4D
anymore. I guess i'l have to buy a 4GB kit and hope my 2GB will play nicely with each other, and I'll just have a total of 6GB.

If that doesn't work, I'll just hold on to the 2GB C4Ds until I build a new rig.. someday.

Why would I want to set my timings/volts at the JDEC specs?
So you can actually boot up the first time with a new board. Nothing sucks more than having to buy a cheap stick of RAM just to get a system to boot so you can raise the mem voltage for your higher voltage sticks.

Back