Corsair Ax1500i died and killed 3080?

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Corsair AX1500i I purchased 6.5 years ago. I believe the Ax1500i died, and during the process of me trying to get it to work or when it died it fried my 3080. I've replaced the PSU and GPU with temporary ones, and everything works. I'm actually shocked that the MOBO works, but my theory is that perhaps there was a power surge along the 8 pin cables that made the GPU not work while everything else stayed the same. I'm currently filing a claim with Corsair through their damage compensation program for the PSU and GPU, but wonder if I'd be better served doing a PSU RMA and going through EVGA's warranty for the GPU, although they probably wouldn't cover it for a power surge failure.

What I'd like to know from you guys:
1. Do you think it's clearly my PSU and GPU at fault?
2. Should I go through Corsair's damage compensation program or just RMA the PSU and go through EVGA for the GPU? I'm afraid Corsair won't like that I have a custom water block on the GPU, although EVGA allows that without voiding the warranty.

What I've tried:
I came back from Thanksgiving weekend and tried to power on the computer, fans spun, lights turned on, no video. Tried unplugging the PC and restarting it a few times, resetting CMOS, and got a brief flash of light then no power. Then didn't get anything at all. Tried swapping cables, nothing. Have been running the PC in its current configuration without any upgrades for 1.5 years. Have updated custom water loop cables maybe 6 months ago, the system has no leaks.

I unplugged all cables from the PSU and held down the "test" button. A few times it would go green and the fan would spin, but much of the time nothing would happen at all. In order to get it to go green I'd have to unplug it, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds, and try again, and sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.

I tried swapping new parts today. Got a Corsair HX1500i from Best Buy. Left all the cables the same except for the MOBO cable which is a different config. With the new PSU everything turns on reliably every time, but the GPU was not being sensed. The VGA light on the mobo went on every time. I tried using 3 new 8-pin cables, to no avail.

I got a new GPU from BestBuy (cheap AMD 580). Computer reliably turns on with VGA. With the combination of the new PSU and GPU powers on with video every time. I've tried having the 3080 plugged in to see if I can see it when I'm booted into Windows but using graphics from the 580, but it doesn't let me get past BIOS when it's plugged in. Nothing shows up on screen and the MOBO VGA light is on.

I tried moving the 3080 from PCI 1 slot to PCI 2, but due to my custom loop configuration it doesn't reach and I can't put it in PCI 2.

I haven't disassembled the water loop yet and am waiting to hear back from Corsair about their damage compensation proof process. I'm waiting to hear from them before I put on the original EVGA cooler which will be a pain in the ass and require me to get new thermal pads.

Computer Use Profile:
For a time ran 4 Vega 64 GPUs or 4 R9 290's mining pulling 1200w for eth. In the last year or two have been mining using one EVGA 3080 and discontinued mining when the merge happened. Anyways, recently I've been way under load for this PSU. Have usually kept the computer on 24/7 but since I stopped mining a few months ago I turn it off when I leave for the weekend. I haven't upgraded the parts in this system since I bought the 3080 2 years ago although I have flushed the water loop a few times.

System:
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570
AMD 5950x
64GB DDR 3200
EVGA 3080 ftw3 (2 years old) that's been under an EKWB block that entire time
Corsair AX1500i
3x 2TB SSDs

Last edited:
I disassembled my loop, pulled off the waterblock. The GPU looked fine. Put on the stock cooler, tried it out in the PC, still didn't work.

I'm going through the Corsair Damage claim process, my other option of course would be to RMA it back to EVGA directly. However, since I plan on upgrading my GPU anyways I'd rather get cash than a replacement card.

Your probably going to be better off starting the RMA with EVGA. There's no telling how long it will be before you have a proper replacement in hand. I would also yank all of the old cables while your at it. May as well run nice n shiny vs old potentially damaged cables.
I don't think it is all that important to mention that your PSU happened to die at the same time...or may have caused the death of the 3080 either ;)
GL!

Your probably going to be better off starting the RMA with EVGA. There's no telling how long it will be before you have a proper replacement in hand. I would also yank all of the old cables while your at it. May as well run nice n shiny vs old potentially damaged cables.
I don't think it is all that important to mention that your PSU happened to die at the same time...or may have caused the death of the 3080 either ;)
GL!

Yeah but EVGA will just give me a new card. Corsair will give me cash value and it's time to buy a new GPU anyways. But I agree with the idea that EVGA would almost certainly replace it and Corsair paying me the value of it is less certain.

My advice, I would Rma card to evga get replacement and sell it here on forums, use them funds to fund your new gpu.

Yeah but EVGA will just give me a new card. Corsair will give me cash value and it's time to buy a new GPU anyways. But I agree with the idea that EVGA would almost certainly replace it and Corsair paying me the value of it is less certain.
From what I understand, Corsair is going to inspect your old PSU and determine if it caused the GPU failure or not. I'm not sure if they will also require the 3080. Ship time and all that jazz will likely take a minute before you know whats up. You could try contacting our man JohnnyGuru by pm. He would definitely know what the process looks like, if you can reach him that is. He's a busy guy and being a weekend and all makes it a tough ask.

From what I understand, Corsair is going to inspect your old PSU and determine if it caused the GPU failure or not. I'm not sure if they will also require the 3080. Ship time and all that jazz will likely take a minute before you know whats up. You could try contacting our man JohnnyGuru by pm. He would definitely know what the process looks like, if you can reach him that is. He's a busy guy and being a weekend and all makes it a tough ask.

Oh I'm sure I'm going to have to ship the PSU and GPU. I wouldn't expect any different.

They've already contacted me and asked for detailed pictures of the gpu including without the waterblock on which I sent them.

Definitely keep us posted till the final resolution.

For now I'm gonna stick with corsair damage claim I'm already well into the process. If they don't reimburse for the gpu I'll send it to evga. Meanwhile I'll try to get a 4090 but that's definitely not easy.

I've been going back and forth with the Corsair damage claim department. They're extremely slow. Every response takes 2 business days. Basically due to them not saying anything for 2 days from when I update the ticket it's taken 9 days so far to get pictures in that they can see and they haven't confirmed that they can see the pictures yet.

Everything sent in. Will see what they say. Also managed to get a 4090 to replace the 3080, which was not easy.

They denied the damage claim. They said there was liquid on the PSU. I've had it for almost 7 years and during watercooling rebuilds some liquid drips out onto the PSU when I redo the loop, but when this failed I hadn't rebuilt the loop for 2 years. Personally, I think this is all a big cop out for them, but I'll simply file for warranty replacement with EVGA now.

They did offer me a courtesy AX1500i replacement which I'm going to take.

I've attached the pictures of the water stains that they are using to deny my damage claim. 7 years of rebuilding waterloops and water stains on the outside of the PSU when the waterloop hasn't been rebuilt in 2 years and hasn't been leaking.... yeah right.

Attachments

• 20221222_110712.jpg
    20221222_110712.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221222_101832.jpg
    20221222_101832.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221222_110745.jpg
    20221222_110745.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 0
I just received the Corsair replacement PSU, but they sent me a HX1500i not a new AX1500i. This is one step down in power efficiency. Maybe they don't have any AX1500i's anymore?

I contacted them to ask if this was a mistake or intentional.

I am also waiting on them to send me the GPU back.

They confirmed that since they don't make the AX1500i anymore they sent a HX1500i and that since they found water stains this is something they don't have to do.

It's certainly possible for water damage to cause corrosion over a long period. It doesn't have to blow up immediately.

That was very generous of Corsair. I'm impressed with their service. I've used tons of their gear over the years but have never had to RMA anything to them before.

Back