Corsair Announces Transition Plan for Force Series SSDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced its plans for the upcoming transition from 34 nanometer to 25 nanometer flash chips used on its solid-state drives.

“There is a lot of confusion in the market about the impact the move from 34 to 25nm flash will have on both the price and the performance of solid-state drives,” said John Beekley, VP of Technical Marketing at Corsair. “We’ve been working closely with SandForce to ensure the smoothest possible transition and we’re sharing the details today.”

Bigger SSD capacity, at the highest performance rate possible, at the lowest price possible. I won't adopt SSD's for awhile because the cost/size/performance ratio just isn't there yet.

Bigger SSD capacity, at the highest performance rate possible, at the lowest price possible. I won't adopt SSD's for awhile because the cost/size/performance ratio just isn't there yet.

They're getting there. Before this, the only thing we got was speed while cost and capacity suffered. With this move, we'll get 2 out of 3!

Just be glad that there is some new progress in the market. And with that, we know that its a short amount of time left before the prices start dropping.

I'm still waiting for $1/GB on 128GB or better. I want my space and affordability. I could give a crap less about speed right now, as I don't do anything that would benefit me greatly.

I applaud that they're at least giving the 25 nm-based drives names that reflect the increased amount of reserved space. I'm looking at you OCZ, silently transitioning and decreasing the capacity/changing the performance characteristics.

I'm still waiting for $1/GB on 128GB or better. I want my space and affordability. I could give a crap less about speed right now, as I don't do anything that would benefit me greatly.

Thats happened a few times already with sales in limited quantities and such. I am with you though. Anything more than 1$ a gig is just too much. That and I would like seamless integration with my hdds. As I understand it, that will be a feature of Windows 8.

Here is what I got from the blog:
"Furthermore, 25nm SSDs is likely to become significantly less expensive then 34nm on a price-per-gigabyte basis as the technology matures."
"Along with the reduced size, the F115 "-A" is about $15 less expensive than the F120 at the time this article was published."

$15 is insignificant!!! :confused:

However I absolutely love the fact Corsair is being very clear on how to identify 34nm and 25nm chips, and the chart was pretty honest. They did not attempt to hide the fact that the 34nm is faster in some cases.
OCZ is not doing crap about it and you can see all the annoyed customers in the forums.

However I absolutely love the fact Corsair is being very clear on how to identify 34nm and 25nm chips, and the chart was pretty honest. They did not attempt to hide the fact that the 34nm is faster in some cases.
OCZ is not doing crap about it and you can see all the annoyed customers in the forums.

As an owner of an OCZ SSD, I have to agree that the support staff/mods/devs on the OCZ forums are a bunch of beligerant Nazi's.

Thats happened a few times already with sales in limited quantities and such. I am with you though. Anything more than 1$ a gig is just too much. That and I would like seamless integration with my hdds. As I understand it, that will be a feature of Windows 8.

My thing is that to me, unless you REALLY need the space or speed, paying more than that ratio seems to be a waste, because at the rate prices drop on this stuff, it's only a matter of time before you can get it at a good price/capacity ratio, and for me the sweet spot is $1/GB. I know prices won't drop as quickly as they do with hdd's, but that is also only a matter of time. As you pointed out its already happened in limited runs, so that time may be coming quick.

Back