Corsair Announces Obsidian Series 450D

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, a designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC hardware market, today announced the immediate availability of the Obsidian Series®450D performance mid-tower PC case. The 450D matches the iconic, brushed aluminum design of the Obsidian series with an increased focus on high-airflow, ensuring your system not only looks great, but runs cool.

Behind the 450D’s aluminum mesh intake grill are dual 140mm AF140L intake fans to direct airflow straight to a PC’s hottest component, the graphics card. The rear AF120L 120mm fan keeps the airflow moving smoothly and five other optional fan locations give you serious cooling flexibility. The 450D’s fan mounts also accommodate a wide range of water-cooling radiators, with room for up to a 360mm radiator in the roof, a 280mm radiator in the front, and a 240mm radiator in the floor. The 450D also boasts all of the features that make the Obsidian Series a favorite among enthusiasts around the world. Easily accessible dust filters on the roof, front, and bottom ensure your system will stay looking its best, while modular tool-free 3.5”/2.5” hard disk mounts offer a wide range of storage options, or can be removed entirely to prioritize airflow.

I personally Iike this case and would like to see H do a review

I have one here that was running a secondary system of mine for a month and I quite like it.

The capability for a lot of airflow with dust filters on the fan mounts most likely to be intakes and good room for clean cable management.

I believe it uses the same hard drive cage as a few of their other cases so it wouldn't be hard to double up the case to six 3.5" drives which I might end up doing in the future.

If I can find enough downtime I've been wanting to swap my main rig out of my Air 540 and into the 450D for a while.
I just have had my desk full of some other projects and it's quite a mess. :eek:

Great looking case.

One review shows it supports up to 165mm tall HSF so it can't handle the big boys.

Can't say I'd replace my $20 Rosewill Challenger case for anything other than the great looks of the 450D. It would be on my shortlist if I had money to blow.

Still with the 5.25" drive bays?

People don't really use optical drives anymore, and external DVD drives are only ~$30. I can't wait for the day when some cases start really eliminating that stupid optical drive bay (the mATX segment and smaller for sure!).

People don't really use optical drives anymore, and external DVD drives are only ~$30. I can't wait for the day when some cases start really eliminating that stupid optical drive bay (the mATX segment and smaller for sure!).

People still use them for res/pump combos and fan controllers. Also there are still a lot of multimedia creators like myself who still need disks to create content for clients.
Forcing them to buy a new drive instead of reusing the one they have could push them to buy a case from a competitor.

Try Caselabs. 5.25 bays are purely optional.

One review shows it supports up to 165mm tall HSF so it can't handle the big boys.

I am concerned about this as I was waiting for the 450D to hit and was planning on getting an NH-U14S, which according to Noctua, is ironically 165mm tall. Now with this information I don't know if it will fit in this case and even if it did if it would still work 100% efficiently (ie. without ramming into the side panel).

The only heatsink I used so far with the 450D was a Thermalright Venomous X which is 160mm tall.

The way the rear fan is mounted may also cause problems with larger heatsinks such at the ones with dual heatpipe towers.

Wrong, this is rubbish, they still use them Bluray and the occasional burning to cd/DVD. I use mine to rip my 2k DVD/bluray collection to digital for streaming in my home

The only heatsink I used so far with the 450D was a Thermalright Venomous X which is 160mm tall.

The way the rear fan is mounted may also cause problems with larger heatsinks such at the ones with dual heatpipe towers.

Correct me I I am wrong but isn't this really designed to a twin or tripoli 120mm radiator water cooling loop?

Wrong, this is rubbish, they still use them Bluray and the occasional burning to cd/DVD. I use mine to rip my 2k DVD/bluray collection to digital for streaming in my home

The concept that people don't use optical drives is heavily driven by regions that have decent access to broadband. In places where broadband is spotty, optical drives are widely used. Not so much in the US, Japan, Scandinavia, Western Europe...but in Central and Eastern Europe they show up a bit more, and in Asia, Latin America, and other regions they're in every single system.

I love the look of this case, think it might be the one for my next build! Love corsair products~

Correct me I I am wrong but isn't this really designed to a twin or tripoli 120mm radiator water cooling loop?

Based on the mesh and airflow results I've been seeing, it looks like it was designed for both. It can fit a 360mm rad at the top, but only a slim one like the alphacool st30 (30mm). Solid case.

Looks to be somewhat of a Lian Li knockoff in some aspects and the MSRP price is roughly the same as well.

I still use them :confused:

Back