Corsair 800d for $249 @ newegg (after MIR)

coconutboy

Gawd
dig it

Lowest price I've seen for this case, although Newegg does make around $5-10 back on the shipping. Still a good deal if you've been looking for a chassis to turn into the coolest hamster cage ever.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/index.php?sku=41960

It says this only lasts for 3 minutes, so it may be gone already...but there ya go.

There may be a rebate someplace for this case too...frys has one, but the price AR is higher than this one and Newegg.....at one point, however, it was 237 AR.

All prices are before shipping.

$200+ for a case w/o PSU? What's so special about this one... o_O

Crazy prices.

Yea I am confused. What makes a case worth this much money?

It is made of iron and cocks.

Not to mention it looks badass and has some of the best cable management and space EVAR - it's huge.

hmm, I used to be in to cases and have gone all they way up to spending 350 on silverstone case, but I shall say no more to expensive cases, I got my raven2 for 125 bucks after rebate and I don't think I am changing my case for a while.

Crazy prices.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_800D/1.html

PROS
  • Excellent cable routing possibilities
  • Functional interior layout
  • Loads of space to work with
  • Four hot-swappable hard drive bays
  • Special power cables for these bays included
  • Total choice of cooling, water or air - no matter how big - will fit
  • Space for a triple radiator
  • Thermal divider for PSU
  • Cool looking white power LED
  • Five 5.25 inch bays
  • Two extra 3.5 inch bays
  • Well packaged

CONS
  • Front panel covers don't hold well at all
  • Triple radiator allows for noise to exit the case, a cover would have been nice
  • No 3.5 to 5.25 inch drive bay adapter
  • Fairly sharp edged front panel
  • ODD screw-less system does not work well
  • Not a secure LAN party case, as case cannot be locked up

The case does beg for a water cooling setup, especially with a spot for a triple 120mm radiator in the top. The hot swap bays are a nice touch and the cable management is one of the best I've personally seen in all the years I've built PC's. Corsair has videos on YouTube showing how to assemble the guts (using an H50 cooler as well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHi_nsofbhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAM6tt8dwrA (Shows the cable management)

I so want one of these but I've got a perfectly good TJ-09 here that I should really sell if I plan to get an 800D.

Edit, I gotta refresh my page before posting. Damn you and your fancy colored formating Limahl damn youuuu! *shakes fist*

Crazy prices.

Personally, any chassis over $200 is highly questionable imo because the majority of cases sold are in the sub-$100 price range, and even in the $100-200 range, there are a ton of excellent options. Flip side is that w/o low sales volume, cutting edge cases like the 800d or Silverstone ft02 we wouldn't see as much innovation in the lower price brackets. 8 years ago, there is no way we'd see a great case like the Lian Li pc-k62 selling for $100, and cases in that price bracket were even more rare at the time.

Plus, cases w/ included psu are usually a poor option for most people because it's almost always far more current than they'll ever use. For every ~10 people who post pics of their system w/ a 700w+ PSU, I see like 1 guy who actually needs it. The rest would be rock-solid w/ a 500w psu. Oh well, at least it's better than ~7 years ago when people tended to be underpowered.

Yea I am confused. What makes a case worth this much money?

This case is mainly targeted at watercooling and it's one of the best on the market, if not the best in that regard. There are a ton of nice design touches like:

~ easy-to-remove dust filter that covers almost the entire bottom of the case
~ absolutely awesome cable routing options including a ton of slots throughout the mobo tray for both ATX and E-ATX mobos
~ easily accessible hot swappable hdd bays
~ plenty of room for internally mounting watercooling radiators
~ fully blacked out interior including all cabling
~ etc etc

Downside is, as an air cooling case, it's lackluster but I'd expect Corsair will release a 2nd case at some point more focused on that specific audience.

Edit, I gotta refresh my page before posting. Damn you and your fancy colored formating Limahl damn youuuu! *shakes fist*

Personally, any chassis over $200 is highly questionable imo because the majority of cases sold are in the sub-$100 price range, and even in the $100-200 range, there are a ton of excellent options. Flip side is that w/o low sales volume, cutting edge cases like the 800d or Silverstone ft02 we wouldn't see as much innovation in the lower price brackets. 8 years ago, there is no way we'd see a great case like the Lian Li pc-k62 selling for $100, and cases in that price bracket were even more rare at the time.

Plus, cases w/ included psu are usually a poor option for most people because it's almost always far more current than they'll ever use. For every ~10 people who post pics of their system w/ a 700w+ PSU, I see like 1 guy who actually needs it. The rest would be rock-solid w/ a 500w psu. Oh well, at least it's better than ~7 years ago when people tended to be underpowered.

This case is mainly targeted at watercooling and it's one of the best on the market, if not the best in that regard. There are a ton of nice design touches like:

~ easy-to-remove dust filter that covers almost the entire bottom of the case
~ absolutely awesome cable routing options including a ton of slots throughout the mobo tray for both ATX and E-ATX mobos
~ easily accessible hot swappable hdd bays
~ plenty of room for internally mounting watercooling radiators
~ fully blacked out interior including all cabling
~ etc etc

Downside is, as an air cooling case, it's lackluster but I'd expect Corsair will release a 2nd case at some point more focused on that specific audience.

Aircooling takes some additional work, but there is no problem with it overall.

Ok I get it's value now. I like it when people actually explain stuff versus the "if you don't know, it's not for you" answer.

While this is a good price for this case, I have to say that currently I think the Cooler Master CM690 II Advance is a better option for water cooling. The Corsair will handle one 120.3 rad up top without modifications and the CM690 II will hold one 140.2 up top and one 120.2 rad on the bottom with the HD cage removed (it's modular). I think the Corsair is roomier than the CM690 just from looking at it, but since there is a $150 price difference I think the CM wins this one. Still, to each his own, $250 for a case is not bad when you look at some of the other cases that are out there such as the Mountain Mods case or a Lian Li case. Also, consider that unlike CPU's, MB's, RAM, etc, you usually only get a case once every 5-10 years, so get what you want with the features you want.

ncix has a few videos on youtube that use this case....one just covers the features of the case. The other 2 are p55 overclocking videos, but they show a build with an MSI GD-80 and another with a Gigabyte p55 UD4p.

I wouldn't buy one, but but it has a lot of features I'd love to have. I love all of those holes in the tray for routing. The panel on the tray that lets you access the back of the MB without taking it out (mostly for water, but I can imagine it'd make it easier to change a heatsink too) is very nice. Hot swappable bays are probably nice.

I could live without the window, but since the entire case is black, it may not matter much.
Like I said, it's too rich for my blood, but there are many features that interest me.....I guess I'd like all of that stuff in a nice quiet P182 style Case.

ncix has a few videos on youtube that use this case....one just covers the features of the case. The other 2 are p55 overclocking videos, but they show a build with an MSI GD-80 and another with a Gigabyte p55 UD4p.

I wouldn't buy one, but but it has a lot of features I'd love to have. I love all of those holes in the tray for routing. The panel on the tray that lets you access the back of the MB without taking it out (mostly for water, but I can imagine it'd make it easier to change a heatsink too) is very nice. Hot swappable bays are probably nice.

I could live without the window, but since the entire case is black, it may not matter much.
Like I said, it's too rich for my blood, but there are many features that interest me.....I guess I'd like all of that stuff in a nice quiet P182 style Case.

You can live without the window, you'll just have to buy the side panel separately from Corsair.

While this is a good price for this case, I have to say that currently I think the Cooler Master CM690 II Advance is a better option for water cooling. The Corsair will handle one 120.3 rad up top without modifications and the CM690 II will hold one 140.2 up top and one 120.2 rad on the bottom with the HD cage removed (it's modular). I think the Corsair is roomier than the CM690 just from looking at it, but since there is a $150 price difference I think the CM wins this one. Still, to each his own, $250 for a case is not bad when you look at some of the other cases that are out there such as the Mountain Mods case or a Lian Li case. Also, consider that unlike CPU's, MB's, RAM, etc, you usually only get a case once every 5-10 years, so get what you want with the features you want.

Gross... Coolermaster cases are. That 690 II has a disgusting looking side panel (screw holes) and no window.

The 800D supports a 120x3 on top and 120x2 on the bottom.

Gross... Coolermaster cases are. That 690 II has a disgusting looking side panel (screw holes) and no window.

The 800D supports a 120x3 on top and 120x2 on the bottom.

Only if you remove the HD cage which means you have to drill out the rivets holding it in. The CM690 requires no modifications that have to be done since the HD cage is modular and just pops out. As far as looks go, to each his own.

My 800D with the stock fans plus the H50 and one Antec Tri-Cool (from my P182) is noticeably quieter than my P182 with nothing but Noctua NF-P12s on a fan controller. When I bought the P182, I really liked it but the 800D is better in almost every way that matters to me. I would really like to move my desktop into a 800D but I will probably wait and see if they release any more cases.

Apologies good sir, I was only trying to provide some useful information as to why some of us would consider this case a Godsend. :D

I love my TJ-09 a hell of a lot but I would love to build a machine around the 800D just for the cable management features and hotswap bays.

There is no doubt this case has some killer features, especially the hot swap bays and cable management. I only wish you didn't have to mod it for a second rad and the price was under $200. The best deal I ever saw on this was when Microcenter had it for $219 when it first came out. Oh and a removable MB tray would have been nice. Anyway, still a great case and a good price. It's very popular for a reason.

While this is a good price for this case, I have to say that currently I think the Cooler Master CM690 II Advance is a better option for water cooling.
This statement has some validity if on a tight budget or externally mounting w/c equipment, but otherwise it's not even close. The 800d is 4 inches taller and 4 inches deeper which makes an obvious statement when you're internally mounting pumps, reservoirs and lots of tubing. That extra space along w/ the 800d's far superior dust filtering also mean users will have an easier time when cleaning the inside or swapping parts.

Edit-
The best deal I ever saw on this was when Microcenter had it for $219 when it first came out.
Holy shit, I check the Microcenter add all the time but somehow missed this one. I see it was back in Oct during a 1day sale. DAMN! For that price I woulda clicked buy in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
There is no doubt this case has some killer features, especially the hot swap bays and cable management. I only wish you didn't have to mod it for a second rad and the price was under $200. The best deal I ever saw on this was when Microcenter had it for $219 when it first came out. Oh and a removable MB tray would have been nice. Anyway, still a great case and a good price. It's very popular for a reason.

The mobo tray is pretty much pointless because they help you work inside a case... here you have a backside that opens allowing access to your CPU backplate and the case is cavernous enough to work inside easily.

This statement has some validity if on a tight budget or externally mounting w/c equipment, but otherwise it's not even close. The 800d is 4 inches taller and 4 inches deeper which makes an obvious statement when you're internally mounting pumps, reservoirs and lots of tubing. That extra space along w/ the 800d's far superior dust filtering also mean users will have an easier time when cleaning the inside or swapping parts.

Edit-
Holy shit, I check the Microcenter add all the time but somehow missed this one. I see it was back in Oct during a 1day sale. DAMN! For that price I woulda clicked buy in a heartbeat.

Actually went for at that price for entire two weeks or a month, can't remember, but I do remember being tempted as I want to get away from my Mountain Mods case due to the size.

Water cooling is mounted inside:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id=19&product_id=2970

I do agree that having an additional 3 inches in height and depth gives you more flexibility. However, if you did not want to have to cut your case and wanted more than one rad internally than the CM690, along with other cases would be a better choice strickly from that point.

The mobo tray is pretty much pointless because they help you work inside a case... here you have a backside that opens allowing access to your CPU backplate and the case is cavernous enough to work inside easily.

Yes, that is a nice feature (CM690 II Advance has it also), I just personally like assembling my board, GPU's, water blocks and ram outside the case on a flat surface, personal prefrence, that's all. Not many cases have removable MB tray's unless you go way up in price.

Who cares what people spend money on, if someone wants to drop $250 for a case and help the economy then please do. That being said, great price for one of the coolest cases I have seen in a while.

Actually went for at that price for entire two weeks or a month, can't remember, but I do remember being tempted as I want to get away from my Mountain Mods case due to the size.
TWO WEEKS and I missed it?!?! You're just trying to make me cry aren't you? Aren't you!?! :( I'm assembling a water cooling rig before the hot LA summer gets here and this case, while not one of my top 3 choices, would have been impossible to resist for that price.

yeah, I saw all the pre-CES hype and pics with booth babes in the CM hotel suite etc (coolest thing there was mnpctech's District 9 build). The 690 II is definitely an OUTSTANDING value in it's price segment w/ tons of flexibility, but the fact that you have to ditch nearly all your hdd bays to use the double rad scheme is one of those things that separates the 690 II from the 800d. People who pack a bucketload of storage into their case are in no way going to be happy with only 2 hdds and the fact that the 800d sports hot swap bays only emphasizes the market it's intended for. Personally, I tend to use 6+ hdds in my gamer/recreational boxes so the 690 doesn't interest me (I also dislike the ventilated front panel that the Antec 900/CM Stacker/etc popularized). But for a gamer or more frugal user, the 690 II offers crazy flexibility and bang-for-the-buck, much like the Lian Li pc-k62, NZXT Tempest or Antec 902 (assuming those cases are under $100, because sometimes newegg etc skyrocket the prices).

I can't wait to see the case revamps that are coming over the next 12-18 months. I've been telling my lady since Sept that based on what's happened in the first half of 2009 (rv02ft02/800d/etc), I'm convinced that either in 2010, or at worst by summer of 2011, someone out there will build my near-perfect case and they'll most likely do it in the $100-200 range. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see someone come damn close to exactly what I want for under $100 because several cases are already so close and tempting me to spend less not more.

Damm you guys, damm you making me spend money....

Can't wait for it to get here and start working with it :D

my only problem with this case is that it seems to have very poor intake abilities.

Back