Corsair 800D, Air Cooling, and Fan Configuration Explored with Results

When I upgraded to a pair of OC'd 6950's I had some heat problems in mine, and ended up doing this:

Great work. I got to try this. My CPU temps are good but my dual ASUS DirectCU II 580's put out a lot of heat into the case. When OC'd to 900/1800 core/shader, the top card can hit 80c during gpu intensive gaming session.

I did it that way mostly because of how simple it was. I didn't have to actually mod the case, just that plastic cover that slides in and hides the SATA Backplane for the Hotswap bays.

Four holes, four bolts, some nuts, and done. I didn't even have to go to the hardware store :D

Tw6jV.jpg

I went with the 38mm Scythe Ultra Kaze and it dropped the GPU temps by 5c when running Furmark. I was hitting 90c before. It now stabilizes at 85c. I also modded the case a bit and added couple of 80mm fans right below the rear exhaust. That seems to be providing about 2-3c drop.

The Spot-Cool fan is helping to keep my NB temps manageable. I was hitting upwards of 70c where as now it hovers in the low 60c at load. Idle is below 50c.

The blue LED fan next to the cards is mainly for looks since it doesn't really push out all that much CFM, however, it does seem to be providing about 1-2c drop in cards due to increased airflow around the cards.

I also added this to the front of the case:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-24067115789173_2176_40206445

It goes with the 800D well but I did have to drill a few new holes to ensure proper alignment with the case. I also removed the fan that came with it and installed the highest cfm rated Scythe S-Flex.

I have two fans on top of the case as intakes.

I'm going to play some Crysis 2 see how the temps hold up.

I've read some posts where people completely remove the rear fan with everything on intake, any thoughts on this ?

I've read some posts where people completely remove the rear fan with everything on intake, any thoughts on this ?

That's pretty much how my setup is, except my rear fan is still there. I still have more than enough positive pressure so I don't see what removing the rear fan would do.

awesome writeup by the way :)

... i've got the 800d, one of the early adopters. been using stock fans since then.

my cpu cooler is a noctua NHU12p-SE2, with push/pull stock fans.

If i want to lower CPU temps, am i reading it correct that I should add a couple intake 120mm at the top of the case, front two spots?

Awesome write-up! Been thinking about getting a Obsidian 800D myself. Thanks for making up my mind for me. ;)

for the sake of reference, as i've got an H100 otw and will be putting it at the top of the case like you had... what CPU/voltage/overclock were you using with these temps?

I like your style man! Only because you're like me! Physics be damned indeed!
When I had this setup, I was actually rocking 27-32*C idle, 55*C range load. These CM fans started going bad months in so I changes setup into top exhaust, intake bottom and rear. Temps are actually higher! 32-37*C idle, 64*C range load.

Good Luck to Us Physics Challengers!
Jason "Dieux Soldat" Xiao

for the sake of reference, as i've got an H100 otw and will be putting it at the top of the case like you had... what CPU/voltage/overclock were you using with these temps?

I've got a chance to get an 800D for X-mas which would be a nice upgrade, and I've had an H100 sitting here for a while that I'd love to be using as well.

This thread is fantastic in showing how much it can matter on placement and type of fans, esp in a larger case. My current one uses all Typhoons for low noise and decent airflow with an H50, but not sure if they would work as well in a much larger case like this one.

I'm not running super hot video cards atm, only a pair of 460's due to being out of work, so I think I'd have less trouble than those who are cranking out the really hot cards.

I guess we'll see what happens. If the case shows up, I'll use some of the suggestions here for sure to try and keep things running smooth.

+1 to OP for his work, it's really appreciated.

Great case, I've had mine for 18 months now and it's done well handling 3x SLI, even when I was running 3 GTX 480s.

I'm looking to pick up another 800D, my first one had a dual loop water cooling system in it. It's a beautiful case. Now I'm using an H100 up top and a pair of AC Accelero Plus coolers on my SLI 580s and I'm not sure how that will effect the overall temps. The Acceleros don't exhaust, just blow the hot air up and out. Right now I run my 600T with the side panel off because of this. It causes a huge block of hot air to accumulate.

To the OP:

With all of that foam, do you notice a difference in the level of sound coming from your case?

I mean, there's still the huge opening at the top. Just wondering if the foam helps absorb/tame the Db before a lot of it leaves the case ?

To the OP:

With all of that foam, do you notice a difference in the level of sound coming from your case?

I mean, there's still the huge opening at the top. Just wondering if the foam helps absorb/tame the Db before a lot of it leaves the case ?

I figure this is long dead but what the hell.

Yeah the foam definitely makes an audible difference. It will never make high speed 38mm fans silent, but it takes the edge off.

I have never been one to demand silent computing, I overclock and push my hardware, I am comforted by the sound of hundreds of CFM of airflow.

Back