Corsair 750D versus my older Lian-Li case PC8C

Slade

2[H]4U
I wish Lian-Li was more on the ball for their current designs. They look meh and are priced to the moon these days.

There is a BIG difference though in the designs that really stand out once you start working on them.

Lian li has a lot of innovative tool less clips/trays/holders that make working on it VERY nice. Expansion slots use a nice latching system that you feel holds things in place. I've had the x80 series of nvidia for the past 7 years and each one was held in nicely and securely. Every mounting point for fans etc have rubber grommets to cut vibration noise and the panels feel very rigid and feel like they belong in place. HDD trays are solid parts with grommets meant to make hdd vibration non existent. The PSU while screwed in also uses a clamping bar which has rubber on it to secure it while cutting vibration.

The Corsair experience while it looks nice, feels very different in quality. I feel like I bought a cheap generic case painted black.

Fans are just screwed into the bare metal case. Trays feel like Dell trays, flimsy plastic with a soft rubber grommet and a metal pin. You 'bend' the tray to move the pin into the screw hole for the hdd. Panels felt flimsy. This is when trying to put the cover on, it would be lined up nice on the bottom and the panel flexes a bit at the top, meaning you have to really align them with 2 hands to get it to slide in. If you had it on a surface with the slightest tilt, the panel would slide itself out before you could screw it secure. Tolerances for the guides are too large allowing the flimsy thin panels to move. Plastic feels cheap. Can't deny that part and the front panel is plastic and has a locking/hinge system that I just feel will break. Expansion slots are standard thumbscrew.

Just to advise, you get what you pay for in $. I saw the 900 series above this and it has the same flaws as stated above while commanding a hefty price tag. At that price range, I would seriously consider Case Labs or Lian Li as a more viable option than Corsair.

Back