Corsair 750 watt- does it fit well in an antec 900?

ACBrown

n00b
I'm getting ready to build my first rig and have decided to go with the Corsair 750 watt for a PSU. The Antec Nine Hundred appears to be a top choice at Newegg. Does this PSU fit well with that case? Does it fit in most mid-full towers?

Thanks,

Austin

Well first of all, do you actually want the Antec 900?

And second, it should fit fine.

Is there some reason why the antec 900 is bad? It has a ton of good reviews at Newegg. What would you suggest?

Austin

No, the Antec 900 isn't bad. Just wanted to see if you actually wanted the case based on personal aesthetics or just newegg reviews. Oh and for future reference, do not take Newegg reviews seriously. A good majority of Newegg reviews are made by computer noobs. Not exactly reliable.

Anyway, cases are often chosen based on personal preference. Personally, I'm not too big of a fan of Antec 900's look. But if you like it, then go for it. Totally up to you.

With that said however, here are some other cases to look at just in case:
Cooler Master Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $25
Cooler Master Centurion 534 ATX Case - $40
Cooler Master Centurion 532 ATX Case - $50
Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $60
Cooler Master Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $65
Lian Li PC-7B Plus II Silver ATX Case - $90
XClio Windtunnel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - $110
Antec Sonata III ATX Case with Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU - $100
Antec P180 ATX Case - $106
Antec P180B ATX Case - $109
Antec P182 ATX Case - $109
Gigabyte Aurora GZ-FSCA1-ATB ATX Case - $110
Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS Full Tower ATX Case - $130
Lian Li PC-A16A ATX Case - $150
Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS Full Tower ATX Case - $150
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case - $150
Cooler Master Stacker RC-830-SSN2-GP Full Tower ATX Case - $150
Cooler Master Stacker RC-832-KKN1-GP Full Tower ATX Case - $150
Lian-Li V1000A Plus II ATX Case - $180
Lian Li PC-V1200 ATX Case (Silver) - $210
Lian Li PC-V1200 ATX Case (Black) - $214
Lian-Li PC-V1100A PLUS II ATX Case - $220
Lian Li PC-V1200B Plus II ATX Case - $240

Dang, man. Thanks for all the links. I'm looking to spend 100.00 (after rebates, etc.). I'm a gamer, don't care too much about looks and want my stuff to fit. Simple as that.

Thanks,

Austin

then go for the 690. Not mint looker. But pop loads of fans in. And excellent cooling is yours.

Another vote against the 900. Just so ugly. And expensive.

I like the PC-A05B. [H] Thread

Expensive? When my rebate comes, which seems to constantly be available with the popular case, its gonna be less than the PC-A05B ($90 @ NE at the moment) in the end. And more than half the links generous Danny provided above for other quality cases are right at it's usual price or more.

The Antec 900 is a sexy looking case and makes for a nice eyepiece at lan parties or on your desk, but be prepared to have a completely shitty cable routing experience. There are virtually NO places to route cables in the 900 therefore making a clean cable run a complete fucking nightmare.

I like the 900 for it's looks but after owning it for a few months I was HAPPY to be relieved of it. I've got a nice Antec Solo instead and while it doesn't have a window the cable routing is simply awesome making for good airflow. :)

Hi,

I just had a similar post to this in the cases section. I have the 900 and the 750TX. I do not care for how the PSU fits in the case. There is no space for the PSU to breathe on the bottom. You have the flip the PSU upside down so the fan can cool the PSU. This makes cable management a PITA.

I do not have a problem with the case or the PSU as individual components. They are pretty darn good. However, the marriage of the two does not work.

Later,
shaggy

I dremeled holes in my 900 for wire management and did an awesome job of it.

But it was way too dusty so I sold it on eBay for more than I paid!

If you take your time with wiring, the NineHundred is just fine. More than just fine actually. It is by far the best case when it comes to cooling.

Price too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

It's not loud either and do you know why? Because the case is so well ventilated that the big fans can run slow and still maintain supreme cooling.

If you orient the cpu HSF so that it directs air into the 200mm top fan, you will simply find no better way to air cool your cpu (other than direct ducting).

I would recommend a modular psu for the 900 because of the room restrictions, but that should absolutely not be the reason to avoid this case. It is one of the best around.

This works well in my 900: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110&prodlist=froogle

hi,

I do not know if the 2 above comments where directed towards my set up or in general to the OP's needs. I have looked into wire re-routing and breathing area for the PSU. The main problem with the PSU is the fact a hole at minimum size of 140mm or 5.5 inches would need to be cut. [ The hole saw to create that hole is not cheap. It runs around $60.00 for a good bi metal cutter. Plus you need to make sure you have a steady speed drill since you really do not want to run more than 140 RPMs while making the cut.] There is only about a quarter of an inch of space underneath the case for airflow. This is no good cause you want more space for the PSU to breath from. Placing the 750TX upside down I hate to say looks really stupid. It is a good thing my system is on the stand underneath the desk. It would drive me nuts I had to see it every day when I used my PC. When the PSU is upside down, the cabling looks discombobulated since it has to cross over the bottom of the case instead of running next to the motherboard mounting wall.

The other issue I have with the PSU has to do with how the power is routed. If you study the way the molex connectors are placed, you will see something. The connectors are based for a rig with a top side PSU mounting and dropping the power down to the bottom. I am not saying this is a horrible thing but it is something to consider. My current set up does not allow my floppy/media drive to be placed on the top.The USB connection is too far from the top if I rerouted the Floppy/flash disk drive on top. The other thing is some of the molex connectors were twisted to fit because they were going the wrong direction.

Here are two pictures I took of my rig. Mind you it is not the prettiest. I hope this gives you some direction in your search for an answer.

dsc03461800.jpg

This is what I saying about the PSU being upside down to breathe. The cables are crossing the case to make its way up the walls. Here is were 3 unused PCI-E cables and additional Molex and SATA power connectors are bundled.

dsc03463800.jpg

Here is the trunk going up the wall to the final destinations on the motherboard, drives, fans, and video. You can see the bundle of unused cabling on the bottom. As you can see it would be quite a task to hide that bundle.

I think there needs to be some serious redesigning and metal working to be done to make this PSU and Case to work together right.

Later,
shaggy

Nice job Shaggy. Can't do much better with the wiring, but there is plenty of open pathway there for good air movement. Your second pic is a good case for a modular psu.

Antec did a good job of keeping this case compact but sacrificed wiring capability.

The V2 of the 900 should be a tad wider to allow wire hiding behind the cages. If they did that, this case would be the best. Nothing beats the helicopter blade up top....

Nice job Shaggy. Can't do much better with the wiring, but there is plenty of open pathway there for good air movement. Your second pic is a good case for a modular psu.

Thanks! I personally hate it since it has a look of being tossed in there even when wire ties are used. Also I have that dislike of the PSU being upside down cause it looks unappealing. I spend a few hours getting it that far. I also spend a good chuck of that time sleeving the 120 mm fan power lines as well as the 200mm power lines.

Antec did a good job of keeping this case compact but sacrificed wiring capability.

The V2 of the 900 should be a tad wider to allow wire hiding behind the cages. If they did that, this case would be the best. Nothing beats the helicopter blade up top....

I do not know about the Version 2 of the 900. I know they had a problem with the Video card location on the top of the expansion slots. This one was a metal shop project. I had the same problem with the video card being too high in the expansion. A quick metal removing project later made things work alot better. The only pictures I have seen of the 1200 makes me not want another Antec case.

Antec though an invisible PSU would be used. Actually the Earthwatts unit I had in there seemed to be made for that case. There was no opening on the bottom. Air flow was from the front to back. I am not impressed by the Antec inverted design.

BTW, I took the pictures while typing my last post on thread. I love how the camera caught the fan blades in mid action. That fan's RPM is about 1330 revs.

Later,
shaggy

Shaggy I am using a Corsair Hx520 in a Lian Li casing with the PSu positioning absolutely the same as yours. But I have placed it in an original position, i.e the fan facing downwards. I have an inch of clearance between the case floor and the PSU fan and under load my PSU gets pretty warm. How does your setup work, did it get hot when the fan faced downwards?

Hi,

Shaggy I am using a Corsair Hx520 in a Lian Li casing with the PSu positioning absolutely the same as yours. But I have placed it in an original position, i.e the fan facing downwards. I have an inch of clearance between the case floor and the PSU fan and under load my PSU gets pretty warm. How does your setup work, did it get hot when the fan faced downwards?

I never tried placing the PSU the fan side down only because I wanted the PSU to breathe. There is no vents on the front side to at least let passive air in. The next reason not to was because there is nothing on the bottom for an air intake for the PSU. Hence the need to cut a 5 1/2 inch hole for air intake. After that there is only 1/4 of an inch of space from any air intake.

Right now, the PSU feels cool to the touch even with a draw on it. I like the PSU. It seems to do the job well. It just doesn't fit in the case well.

Later,
shaggy

the 900 isnt "BAD" looking, you want bad looking? look at the raidmax scorpio, worst case EVER.

i have the 900 and i didnt buy it for looks, i simply bought it for the cooling, not very many cases come close to the cooling of the 900. also i got mine for $90 CANADIAN a year ago. and it can actaully fit the 8800gtx with an HDD infront of it!!! my old case the antec SLK3000 couldnt.

That's a pretty clean wiring job. How's the noise level on the 750? I've been thinking about picking one up for my new rig since it's actually spec'd as being quieter than the HX series psus.

Back