Corsair 700D Fan Layout

Sextron

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I'm building a new PC, and I have an old Corsair 700D I'm going to put it in. I have a question about how the fans should be configured, though.

The case was obviously built around water cooling, but I'm just going to be air cooling. Looking at the case, it looks like it actually has a really shit layout for air cooling. Namely, there are literally no intakes on the front of the case, meaning the only usual intake location is one fan at the bottom of the case.

Is this enough of an intake, or should something on the top or back be flipped around to intake instead of exhaust?

700d.jpg

You need positive pressure flow. One exhaust, remainder intake.

Exhaust should be a slightly higher RPM than the rest of the fans with a slightly higher air flow. That'll create the positive pressure to keep the components cool.

That's what I thought, and that's how I have it set up from last time. The exhaust is the rear fan, and everything else, including the top, is intake. Does it matter if the top is intake instead of exhaust? I could switch the rear to intake and top to exhaust, but that seems like I'd end up with negative pressure inside the case.

you could also try it in a top-down config.

Intake from the top 3 fans, and exhaust at the back / bottom. (It also looks like there's a fan mount between the PSU and the HDD Cages at the very bottom of the case)

I have an 800D which is very similar to the 700D. I agree strongly with aiming for a positive-pressure config.

I have a 360mm AIO up top, which I have configured as an intake because I want it sucking cool air into the AIO. I have the bottom fan also set as an intake (although the PSU obviously exhausts some air). The only actual exhaust fan I have is a big 140mm in the rear. I have the 140mm rear exhaust on the same smart fan curve as the 6 fans (push-pull) on my 360mm AIO up top, so that there is a synergy between the two and it will ramp up at the same time the AIO fans ramp up to help exhaust that hot air.

The intake at the very bottom has a built-in dust filter (on the 800D at least, i assume the 700D does also). I also cut out a dust filter for the top intake of my AIO. The positive pressure is key as that means all the air is coming in through the dust filters. These cases have a ton of holes in the rear to help exhaust hot air in addition to the actual exhaust fan, so positive air pressure really works best for these cases, otherwise all those vent holes will be sucking in dusty hot air from the rear of the case.

So, I did end up with everything being intakes except the rear exhaust. Seems to be working fine. I've had to play around with the top fan fan curves, though, as it seems I put shitty fans in there, and they are loud as fuck with anything over 5 volts. For a while I was running with just one of them, and plugged into the pump fan header, as the cables don't reach the normal headers at the bottom of my mobo, and there just aren't enough fan headers in general. Bought a 5to1 adapter thingy and have them all plugged in now. I didn't really see any difference.

If I'm understanding all of the stress tests I'm doing, I'm not thermally limited anywhere. I don't think I've seen a single temp from any component get above about 75 degrees, and that's only in short bursts. My CPU sits around 60 degrees under load. But that load is only 4 GHz all core boost. It just doesn't go higher than that. In real usage, a few cores will boost up to 5950 MHz, and it looks like every core can hit that. It's just under a synthetic 100% stress test that it goes down to 4 GHz all cores.

Which I'm a little perplexed about. Looking at Open HW Monitor, my CPU Cores wattage sits around 95 watts, but the CPU Package is much higher, at around 135 watts. Which one is the "real" TDP? Because the stated TDP for a 5900x is 105, so if that's Cores wattage, I'm drawing way less than that for some reason.

Back