Corsair 620HX - Cable question

I've just purchased a EVGA 280GTX and I know my 620HX will be able to handle the load. I'm a bit confused on the cables though. I know that I have 2x 6-Pin connectors (2 x PCI-Express). What I'm not sure about is the 8-Pin. I'm not at home so I can't check directly, but online it shows that the 620HX comes with an 8-Pin connector (1 x 8-pin EPS12V). Is this the correct one? Aren't there two different types of 8-Pin or am I wrong?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There’s the Aux 8-4 pin connector for the CPU and then there’s the PCI-E 6+2 pin connector for a GPU

So yes two different types of 8 pin connectors

It depends when you bought your HX620 though. For instance I bought mine shortly after it came out, and it only came with two 6 pin PCI-E connectors. They shortly changed this too shipping it with two PCI-E 6+2pin connectors instead with all the cards coming out with 8 pin sockets

Edit: nice picture for you from their site
CorsairConnectors.jpg

The new ones come with the 8pin connectors. There was a thread floating around here and the Corsair Rep said to call it in to get the 8pin connector.

That's not the 8-pin connector you want for the GTX260. The one you want is an 8-pin PCI-E power connector. On the Corsair PSU series it's in the form of a 6+2 breakaway connector (it'll say PCI-E on it); that's the one you want.

The EPS12V is the 8-pin connector to the motherboard.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll be making that call now. I purchased mine pretty soon after it's release.

Mine does not have an 8pin connector exactly, it has two PCI-E 6+2 connectors that work just fine for my 4870x2. Also the ATX 8 pin is actually two 4 pin plugs that snap together.

I have altered the wire looms to remove un-needed plugs such as the FDD and most of the 12v IDE power plugs as all of my drives are SATA. I made a custom wire loom adapter to run from the chopped down 12v IDE line to my fan controller. Chopping the looms down greatly reduced clutter in my case and just made it look cleaner in general.

So far there are 3 revisions of the two PCIe cables that are available for the HX520/620.

1. each with a single 6-pin PCIe
2. each with a single 6+2-pin PCIe
3. each with a single 6-pin PCIe & 6+2-pin PCIe (shown below)

corsair_upg_pcie_cables.jpg

My HX520 shipped with option 1, and I emailed RAMGUY for option 3 who forwarded my request to the rep that took care of me. The cables were sent for the cost of shipping (~$7).

I would say 4 revisions then, because Corsair sent me two solid 8pin PCI-E cable (not 6+2pin)

I spoke to a rep yesterday and they said to shoot them an email detailing the cables I need. He said they would send them out promptly. He also mentioned I didn't have to worry about shipping.

That is pretty sweet.

I just bought one two weeks ago. Had the 260GTX..since sold...but I should look to make sure I have what I need.

Ordered a new 4870x2...thinking it will be in the same boat.

That is pretty sweet.

I just bought one two weeks ago. Had the 260GTX..since sold...but I should look to make sure I have what I need.

Ordered a new 4870x2...thinking it will be in the same boat.

For the 4870 X2 you'll need a 6 pin and an 8 pin PCI-e connector.
If your 620 has the same cables as mine you'll have two 6+2 PCI-e connectors and that will work just fine for the 4870 X2.

Ok so my cable arrived today from Corsair. Right now I'm using both of the PCE 6-pin connections and one 4-pin (to 6-pin adapter, came with video card) on the PSU to power the 280GTX. The cable that arrived in the mail has 1x 6-pin with a 6-pin and 6+2-pin at the opposite end. Does this mean I no longer need all the extra adapters that came with the video card? Can I simply use only this new cable that came in the mail? If I did, it would use one of the 6-pin ports on the PSU, but would attach to the 6-pin and 8-pin ports on the 280GTX.

Sorry if this seems thick...I just want to make sure!

Thanks!

Ok so my cable arrived today from Corsair. Right now I'm using both of the PCE 6-pin connections and one 4-pin (to 6-pin adapter, came with video card) on the PSU to power the 280GTX. The cable that arrived in the mail has 1x 6-pin with a 6-pin and 6+2-pin at the opposite end. Does this mean I no longer need all the extra adapters that came with the video card? Can I simply use only this new cable that came in the mail? If I did, it would use one of the 6-pin ports on the PSU, but would attach to the 6-pin and 8-pin ports on the 280GTX.
Yes no need for the extra adapters. You can ditch 'em now and use the new cable.

Back