Corsair 550VX power supply question.

Drebel

n00b
Hey,

I'm considering upgrading my current power supply a coolermaster RS-500-PCAR because I can no longer stand the noise it makes while it's powered on and it's the only loud point of my system. I've disconnected every single fan on my system except for the CPU fan to test this.

I've been considering two different power supplies the PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V or the Corsair 550VX. However my current system uses the standard 4 pin Pentium IV style conector and I notice that the corsair has an EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin will this fit into my current motherboard (Asus M2N-E SLI).

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated on a quieter power supply that will work with my current and next build a core 2 quad system.

Current system just in case it's needed:

Asus M2N-E SLI
Athlon 64 X2 5200+
6GB Crucial DDR2-800
EVGA 9600 GT Superclock
2 x 500gb hard drives
2 x LiteOn DVD-RW drives
Soundblaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic

Fans:

2 x 120mm
1 x 80mm

Thanks for the advice!

Yes, the 8-4( = 4) pin is compatible with the p4 connector. My 550vx is silent. Honestly, as long as you have one case fan in your system, no matter how quiet it is, it will drown out the sound of the PSU. Runs everything in my sig.

I also have a 550VX and love it.
I noticed the 8-pin CPU connector is two 4+4's completely attached. So only using 4 of them might require some rigging. You'll have to just plug in half the connector, and let the other half hang over air. Not sure if that works, but Corsair wouldn't force you to use 8-pin so I guess it will.

I have a question for other 550VX owners though:
How much air is your fan moving? I'm on a P182 case, and when I put my hand by the PSU exhaust, I feel warm air but I don't feel any airflow (I don't feel air blowing against my hand). It's the same under load and idle.

I think the poor PSU cage in the P182 (Google it and see for yourself) is choking my PSU of its airflow...
:(

Just a bump as a heads up, I ended up buying the corsair TX650 and I am very happy with the purchase. My computer is now dead silent as I can't hear none of the fans or the power supply working and the power supply itself runs cooler than my previous one with 0 noise. The EPS 12V plug is itself just two 12 vols together and can be separated easily.

Back