Corsair 275Q case cooling

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Just built a new system in the corsair 275Q quiet case, but noticed after assembling this may not work as well as I thought... it's getting way to hot for comfort, looking for any suggestions.

The case, see picture, is designed to be ultra quiet, both side panels have the sound dampening material, the front panel is solid with the air being taken in through the 1 inch gap in the front, and then exhausted out the included 120mm rear fan.
There is currently 1x 120mm front fan, and 1x 120mm rear fan, that's it. And that's all I thought I would need...
The Corsair 275Q does include the top removable panel, so that 3x 120mm fans can be installed but I so far I've left this on.

Parts are:

3700X using stock Ryzen Wrath Prism cooling, I didn't see the need to upgrade, seems quiet and decent, if I can just shut off the unicorn lights.
Gigabyte Gaming-X 570
evga 2080 ti ftw3
16gb corsair lpx (with ryzen xmp)
evga 750 gold
1x m.2 pcie 4.0 ssd (run's a little hot)
1x m.2 pcie ssd
1x 7200 spinner
1x 5400 spinner

Finished building the system last night, installed 10, drivers, pulling down 1903, and then I noticed the top of the case is really warm... too warm for comfort, considering I'm just pulling down 1903. As soon as I checked the rear 120mm fan, I noticed it was very hot. Great... heat issue already... and I'm not even gaming yet. So I yanked the top shroud off, exposing the 3x 120mm fan grill and within a short time things cooled down. So now I need to figure out how I can make this quiet case work, with all the components, and keep it quiet. I'd rather not go AIO water kit because the pump WILL be heard. The front has 3... or maybe it's 2 120mm fan mounts, along with the top 3 I could install, and then 1 on the back.
The 275Q case has a PMW 5-6 fan header I can use, but I didn't because the included cable is the shortest I've ever seen, and the issue with that is the stupid Gaming-X board only has 2 system fan headers... Really Gigabyte?? and to make matters worse, both those fan headers are located on the back of the board, 1 up near the 8pin CPU plug, and the 2nd between the I/O and CPU. I'm going to pick up a 4 pin extension today, obviously I'm going to need some more fans, but any sugesstions are welcome, cheers [H]

Oh, also, 10-15 years ago I would spend hours, days OC'd the crap out of my stuff, taking the Athlon XP 1600 up to 2.53ghz at ridiculous voltages, running a Celeron 533 at over 1ghz using a peltier, good times. Now with a career and family, my time to tinker is short, so I'd rather spend what time I do have gaming. That said, I AM that guy who now leaves the BIOS settings at default... yes, I'll admit that. :( I don't have time to look through the 5 million voltage options in the BIOS vs the 20 I had on the ABit BH6... So, if there are BIOS settings that will help, by all means please make the suggestions. Thanks guys! Oh, yes I did set the AMD XMP profile for memory, (3200), but that's pretty much it...

-CC-9011164-WW-Gallery-275Q-12.png
-CC-9011164-WW-Gallery-275Q-09.png
-CC-9011164-WW-Gallery-275Q-03.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what your issue is here. Computer components get hot, then the heatsinks will radiate the heat away from the components. There will be heat no matter what. How high are your temps?

BTW for your issue with fan headers : I love these Arctic PWM PST fans, they let you daisy chain the fans so you only need one header for all your fans. They're really cheap too. They have 5 packs for roughly $30. They make a F12 and P12, f12 is for airflow, p12 is for static pressure
https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-PWM-PST-Technology/dp/B00NTUJTAK?th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sound dampening materials also keep the heat in.

Silence and cool parts normally don't mix on a budget.

Also, just because the exhaust is 'warm' or 'hot' doesn't mean you are frying your parts.

What are your ambient temps on the CPU/MB/GPU and what are their temps when gaming?

I'd also consider moving it out of your bedroom if at all possible. That was fine when you were a bachelor but 15 years later with a family, it's time for an office setup even if it's in the corner of some other non-bedroom.

Nice setup. Honestly, you just need to move more air. More in more out. That 2080Ti is a monster on its own,. Ditch those stock fans and roll with something nicer. I cant recommend a fan because I use 120x38s. All these skinny fans that people love are toys :D I am partial to Thermalright. They do make some nice fans. People rave about Noctua fans. And those Silent Wings from bequiet get a lot of recommendations.

Stock CPU downflow coolers are horrible about dumping heated air all arround them thus mixing with and pre-heated the air supply to cooler. Tower coolers do a much better job of keeping heated exhaust moving only toward exhasut vents. Al.so the bigger the cooler is means more heatpipes and fins for air to flow over for better cooler with slower moving air so less noise.

Every degree warmer the air into component coolers is translated to same number of degrees hottter component will be. So if room is 22c but air into cooler is 28c component will be 58c instead of 52c. We want case airflow to supply coolers with air as close to room temp as possible, but reality is it will probably be 1-4c warmer .. I've seen gaming rigs that moved air 20c higher than room air temp after 10-20 minutes of gaming. ;)

What case fans do you now have in it? First thing is having 3x good high pressure fans as front intakes with all openings not covered by fans blocked so the air they push into case does not leak out in front but is push to back / top exhaust vents. Removing all PCie back slot covers increases rear vent area around GPU giving use better front to back flow and lowering not only GPU temps but by flowing it's heated air back and out this heated air does not mix with cool air going to CPU cooler.

You might find this link to a basic guide of how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow of interest. https://www.overclock.net/forum/246...s-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data.html

Last edited:
Sound dampening materials also keep the heat in.

What are your ambient temps on the CPU/MB/GPU and what are their temps when gaming?

First thing is having 3x good high pressure fans as front intakes with all openings not covered by fans blocked so the air they push into case does not leak out in front but is push to back / top exhaust vents.

Appreciate all the replies. So after a 15 minute R6 Siege game, my 3700X with the stock Wrath Prism cooler is just north of 82C. The 2080ti is hovering around 75C. This is with 2 Corsair 120mm fans (stock fans with 275Q case), plugged directly into the MB headers. So... a little toasty. I'm assuming the sound dampening material on the case panels isn't helping...
I picked up 4 Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1300 PWM fans, but haven't installed them yet, they supposedly move some good air. I'm debating whether I should just go AIO liquid, use these fans, or go with a non-silent but larger case which will allow for more airflow like the Fractal R6 or S2

Last edited:
eh, not great but not terrible. As was pointed out, a decent tower cooler will help CPU temps (not that 82C is horrifying--Zen 2 runs hot) and really 75C on the GPU is totally fine. if you're satisfied with the acoustics may as well leave it imo

If you have the noctuas you may as well use them. Just be sure to follow Doylls advice as to how to place them. Front, bottom and side inlets and top back exhaust. After you set a fan curve you prefer, you may not need to get an aio or new case.

I believe 3700X starts throttling at 85c while max temps is 95c. Assuming that is true 82c is getting close to throttling temp and to me that is too hot 15 minutes into a gaming session. ;)

eh, not great but not terrible. As was pointed out, a decent tower cooler will help CPU temps (not that 82C is horrifying--Zen 2 runs hot) and really 75C on the GPU is totally fine. if you're satisfied with the acoustics may as well leave it imo

Unless I read wrong, I thought the 3700X idled around 30-35c on the stock cooler, and got up to 65C under full load; not gaming but rendering, prime etc.
82C is hot, and the CPU isn't even under full load. I haven't tested the temps yet under Cinebench or Prime, but I'm willing to bet my temps will be a lot greater than 82C. Because I will be using the system to render videos. The GPU I'm not overly worried about, if you remember the 8800GT that ran around 110C, 75C seems pretty chill.
Acoustics... well, it's already not "great" when idling. My original plan was to have it silent, but because the CPU is idling at 50-58C it's been hard to make a fan curve that keeps the noise nil while keeping the CPU from really spiking higher. I'd expect this of bulldozer but not a 7nm supposedly power efficient CPU. Even using the stock cooler, I expected idled temps of 40C no higher. Any gaming maybe around 50-60C.

I didn't originally apply any but I do have a tube of Arctic 5, not that it's going to perform a miracle but maybe better than AMD's paste. Not sure what I'll do... I was looking at the much larger R6, maybe I'll keep this cooler, but toss the parts in that with the noctua's. Even if it can, 82C while gaming is a bit scary considering the CPU isn't even under full load.

I believe 3700X starts throttling at 85c while max temps is 95c. Assuming that is true 82c is getting close to throttling temp and to me that is too hot 15 minutes into a gaming session. ;)

Yeah, definitely too hot. Although even with the stock cooler it doesn't make sense, that's really high just for gaming, not even full load or video rendering. I haven't made any bios adjustments yet, everything is stock default... except for the XMP profile, which btw also won't stick :( (Corsair 3200 w/Ryzwn XMP), so the ram is defaulting to 2666.
I think I may move everything to an R6 with the noctua's, do a repaste with A5. Also those stock fans the Corsair 275Q came with dont move much air, even with a aggressive curve set, but then again it is advertised as a silent case.

Back