Corrupted graphics after Fedora C3 64bit install

notoriousformula

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys, This is my first Fedora core 3 install. I downloaded the Core 3 64 Bit edition DVD copy from one of the mirrors last night. After making a partition on my Primary hard disk i was able to install Core, Took less than 16 mins. My system rebooted.. Fedora screen loaded up Hdd, network, audio...everything Okay >> Done, Done.. But reaching the desktop screen i see corrupted graphics, Blurry lines(blue/green/yellow) :(

Can anybody explain what went wrong here? Fedora doesn't support nVidia 6xxx series?

Here are my setup specs:

A64 S939 Winchester 3200+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
2x 512Mb Corsair PC3200 C2
nVidia 6200 TC PCI-E
Seagate 120Gb 8Mb cache HDD

you need to install the nvidia display drivers from their website

this can only be done from run level 3 so edit your /etc/inittab file and change the line that reads:

id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: and reboot

following the instructions on the nvidia website for the driver installation and editing of the Xorg.conf file and then change the line back and reboot again... voila X works. ;)

enjoy....

mattjw916 said:
you need to install the nvidia display drivers from their website

this can only be done from run level 3 so edit your /etc/inittab file and change the line that reads:

id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault: and reboot

following the instructions on the nvidia website for the driver installation and editing of the Xorg.conf file and then change the line back and reboot again... voila X works. ;)

enjoy....

Linux noob here.. I have no idea how to edit conf file :( .. I thought Vesa Generic driver work suppported nVidia 2D ?

you can use "vi" to edit the conf file from the command line such as:

# vi /etc/inittab

once the file is open use the arrow keys to move around and then hit "R" (yes capital) to change into replace mode and type a 3 over the 5 then hit ESC and :wq! to save and exit

google "vi command" there is ton of info out there since it is a "must know" *nix program

# reboot

the out-of-the-box driver for nvidia cards does not work in FC3, I had to do the same thing when I built my machines

Thanks for the help bud :).. I think it was bad download :mad: ..I re-downloaded the 64bit C3 and everything is up and running now :D ..Fedora doesn't like nVIdia cards or something? I see almost every ATI card listed in the video preferences and only 1 nVIdia GF2..hehe. NOw playing with settings and tools.. I Love the Gaim all-in-one messenger and easy windows/linux network setup..i was able to see and communicate with my Windows rigs in no time :)

again thanks for the all help

cheers

notoriousformula said:
Thanks for the help bud :).. I think it was bad download :mad: ..I re-downloaded the 64bit C3 and everything is up and running now :D ..Fedora doesn't like nVIdia cards or something? I see almost every ATI card listed in the video preferences and only 1 nVIdia GF2..hehe. NOw playing with settings and tools.. I Love the Gaim all-in-one messenger and easy windows/linux network setup..i was able to see and communicate with my Windows rigs in no time :)

again thanks for the all help

cheers
you really just need to install the drivers. read the readme on nvidia's webpage.

You can also install the drivers using yum, just do "uname -r" to get your kernel version, then
"yum list nvidia*" will show you all versions of the drivers available. Choose the one with the same build number on the end as your kernel and then install it by doing:

yum install nvidia*7229*

it will install 2 packages, the actual driver, and it will find nvidia_glx as a dependency. yum makes things like that a lot easier to manage. if you ever upgrade your kernel, just do yum remove nvidia*7229 and then repeat these steps.

also, fedoraforum.org is a very helpful site for fedora specific issues

nvidia cards have much more support than ati, i'd definately stick with nvidia for linux

Back