"Corrupt master file table"

Cyraxx

Supreme [H]ardness
Anytime I try to use a system tool such as Disk Defragmenter, it states:

"Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:). Please Run Chkdsk /f"

upon running Chkdsk it says "Corrupt Master file table. Chkdsk Aborted. Can anyone help with this, or am I doomed to a format?

I'd probably do the following things:

1) Backup important data, just in case
2) Run the disk's diag tool, from their website.
3) Replace the drive if errors, or think about running more tests to fix the problem, then maybe moving to formatting. Have you tried rebooting into the recovery console, and running scandisk?

Try the fixmbr command from the recovery console too. But yeah, always backup your data first. :cool:

If chkdsk is bailing, backup up what data you can as fast as you can. You are going to have to reformat before the file system will be stable again, assuming you don't have hardware problems as well.

If chkdsk is failing, the primary master file table is unrecoverable even using the second partial copy that is stored in a different part of the drive.

Wait, if that's your system drive, I think it's normal.

If I run chkdsk on my Windows drive, I get errors, but they're normal.

PigCorpse said:
Wait, if that's your system drive, I think it's normal.

Chkdsk should not prodice any error other than it being the system drive and asking you if you want to schedule a scan at next boot.

If he's getting MFT corrupt errors, then he's Got A Problem. Back up all of you data ASAP if you haven't already. download the diagnostic tools from you HD manufacturer's site as suggested above. If the diagnostic show no errors then you'll have to format your had drive and reinstall Windows. To be safe wipe the partition table and create completely new partitions and then complete format them. Dont do a quick format.

And would Fixmbr do for him if he's having MFT problems? All that's going to do it re-write the boot code int he first sector of the HD.

PigCorpse said:
There's no such thing as a normal error, ESPECIALLY on your system drive. Errors mean something is wrong, and I would address that right away before you lose some data.

ryan_975 said:
Chkdsk should not prodice any error other than it being the system drive and asking you if you want to schedule a scan at next boot.

If he's getting MFT corrupt errors, then he's Got A Problem. Back up all of you data ASAP if you haven't already. download the diagnostic tools from you HD manufacturer's site as suggested above. If the diagnostic show no errors then you'll have to format your had drive and reinstall Windows. To be safe wipe the partition table and create completely new partitions and then complete format them. Dont do a quick format.

And would Fixmbr do for him if he's having MFT problems? All that's going to do it re-write the boot code int he first sector of the HD.
Exactly,

writing a new MBR will do nothing to correct a error in the MFT, and i would suggest backing up important data as well. If you have Partition magic 8.01 it (PQ-Magic) may be able to fix the error, but there is a good chance that you have some data corruption on the drive, that can lead to more problems even after your MFT is fixed. I would back up my data, and run the manufacturers diagnostic prog. if it passes all tests (dont run the "express" or "quick" tests, run the full diagnostic), then delete the partition, create a new partition and format...re-install your OS.

if your drive fails...well RMA it or buy another. on the plus, storage real estate space is cheap, and getting cheaper.

Back