Correlations between doing well at certain types of games and aptitude

I would guess that RPG players would have a higher aptitude than the MOBAs. Some of the denser RPGs are basically just nice GUIs and stories overlaying giant statistical analysis spreadsheets of skills, abilities, special powers, timed powers, combo'd potions, etc. And the world building games even more so. But it depends on the aptitude you're measuring, maybe. MOBAs might be better at (or at least prefer) emotional intelligence scenarios, so they play multi-player. More analytical types play RPG or world building. The FPS might be people who like direct one on one competition.

I would guess that RPG players would have a higher aptitude than the MOBAs. Some of the denser RPGs are basically just nice GUIs and stories overlaying giant statistical analysis spreadsheets of skills, abilities, special powers, timed powers, combo'd potions, etc. And the world building games even more so. But it depends on the aptitude you're measuring, maybe. MOBAs might be better at (or at least prefer) emotional intelligence scenarios, so they play multi-player. More analytical types play RPG or world building. The FPS might be people who like direct one on one competition.

MMO's are also quite complex. Even doing damage alone requires a specific sequence of abilities and you have to juggle a great deal of information while adhering to fight mechanics and performing your damage rotation, maintaining health, and providing the utility required in certain roles all at the same time.

Anecdotally, it would make sense that people that are good at MOBAs or RTS games would have a higher IQ. In both of those genres you need to be multitasking or thinking ahead. I would be curious if there is a correlation of actions per minute vs aptitude vs IQ.
Not to say that you can't think ahead in FPS games but there are so many variables with regard to your opponent(s) act and react that you can only plan to a certain extent. "no plan survives contact with the enemy".

Anecdotally, it would make sense that people that are good at MOBAs or RTS games would have a higher IQ. In both of those genres you need to be multitasking or thinking ahead. I would be curious if there is a correlation of actions per minute vs aptitude vs IQ.
Not to say that you can't think ahead in FPS games but there are so many variables with regard to your opponent(s) act and react that you can only plan to a certain extent. "no plan survives contact with the enemy".

To me, FPS games have been more about reaction time more than anything. There is some decision making to be made, but it's all snap decisions in the moment. Primarily when engaging in mutliplayer against humans rather than AI.

If there is I'd be considered a moron on the actions per minute, mine were always glacial.

I still play league of legends, have since 2010 on and off. But I know that my mechanics and reactions are not the match of some teenager, I'm about to cross from mid to late 30s soon. Even worse, once I had the larger 43" tv as my display, my performance got worse. Smaller screens help with competitive play to an extent.

They have it backward. I think it would be better to say that persons with higher IQ tend to play MOBA games at a higher rate than average. Anecdotally, I primarily played fighting games, platformers, and strategic planners when I had my IQ taken at 10 years old. I tested at an IQ of around 140 at that age. I lean toward role-playing games and racing sims these days.

Yeah, that is a good point. People are more likely to play what they are good at.

Back