Correct Diagnosis? Bad motherboard?

maitchguy

n00b
My old computer is failing to turn on more and more frequently and is finally spontaneously crashing. The power clearly comes on, as the fans and the glow come on, and I hear it attempt to initialize, but it never reaches the motherboard splash screen. Furthermore, the keyboard and mouse lights never come on like they do when my Asus Splashtop first loads, so I know it's not the graphics card.

I just want to ensure that it's the motherboard that I should replace and not possibly an issue with the RAM or CPU.
The motherboard only depends on its own physical resources to the point of it reaching the motheboard splash screen right?

Or, could it possibly be a CPU or RAM issue?

I'm running an Asus M4A79T motherboard with an AMD Phenom II 965 Black edition CPU (super old, I know, but it's been a trooper). The RAM is 4x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws (PC3 12800)

I just replaced the power supply not that long ago and other stuff is powering up, but of course that doesn't mean that it's feeding the Mobo as it should.

I don't have a spare one, but I do think I have an old multi tool lying around somewhere.

If it's not the PSU, could it still be the CPU or RAM?

I just replaced the power supply not that long ago and other stuff is powering up, but of course that doesn't mean that it's feeding the Mobo as it should.

I don't have a spare one, but I do think I have an old multi tool lying around somewhere.

If it's not the PSU, could it still be the CPU or RAM?
unfortunately yes...could be the cpu, motherboard or ram in that order.

Gskill is pretty good ram, you can try pulling a stick out and trying diff slots. CPU's hardly ever die so board is next guess.

I tried removing the RAM and got the same result. Same issue when I reintroduced it DIMM by DIMM. Looks like I'm going for a new 'puter. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Had the same issue with an Asus board. It got progressively worse to the point it would take 20+ on/off attempts for one successful boot. Replacing the motherboard fixed it.

Battery was my issues a few years back, be surprised what issues it can cause , 3 dollars to replace.

no need to buy a new battery to "test" it
You pc does not need the motherboard battery to operate. even if we allure to the weirdness that a fautly battery should cause issues,. simply take it out and start you pc.
As long as you PC is not in G2 mode you CMOS setting will still be fine.

you want need the battery until next time you unplug your power cord or tunr of the power swith on the psu
Rebooting you pc or simply turning it of from withing windows or the front on/off butting will keep you cmos settings even without a battery

Your going make me put my AM3 FX 6300 / 970 chipset back in to something just to join my x58 as some kind crazy hobby like working chipsets from days pass .

Back