Coronavirus : Folding@home takes the challenge, needs your help.

Received an email update this AM from Sumuri https://sumuri.com/ makers of computer forensics software/hardware about the Coronavirus situation and they've added firepower to the Folding project.

"SUMURI and the TALINO team are doing their part to dedicate our processing power to the fight against COVID-19. We have switched our burn-in platform to Folding@home. Folding@home uses computing power to run simulations to determine how the proteins in the virus overwhelm our immune system. "

Is there a way to designate towards COVID? I got 1 machine up, will have a second soon. Drop down has the normal 4 and ANY. Currently on any. Joined Team 33 with my handle here.

"Any" is currently prioritizing COVID.

Interesting, haven't seen one yet, not playing close attention though. My last one was some gene in South America and its mutation. No matter, I'll keep my machines digging away. Thanks for response.

Interesting, haven't seen one yet, not playing close attention though. My last one was some gene in South America and its mutation. No matter, I'll keep my machines digging away. Thanks for response.

They can not get WU's tagged fast enough so get used to a lot of idle time, also seems many other projects dont have enough WUs. I have had my rigs sitting idle sometimes for almost a day.

I guess "Any Disease" is branching out from just Covid alone. Now it is folding Project 14310, Cancer, with my rig even though I have Any Disease selected.

I donated 96 cores but doesn't appear any WU available for past 24 hours.

They are having trouble with getting things distributed. Bandwidth of getting WUs out and results back. However other institutions are working on stepping up to help them. Even if you don't get WUs, keep your stuff running, the more power out there the faster it can solve a problem when one is available.

They are having trouble with getting things distributed. Bandwidth of getting WUs out and results back. However other institutions are working on stepping up to help them. Even if you don't get WUs, keep your stuff running, the more power out there the faster it can solve a problem when one is available.

Plan to. Nothing but lab boxes sitting idle.

Copper is not safe. Google Copper Poisoning. It's not toxic in small exposure but doesn't take much to get to toxic build up levels. Also the tissues in your nasal passages and mouth and throat will absorb chemicals more easily than your skin.

Assuming you're under 50, this was most likely going to be a cakewalk for you in comparison to those over 50. Like your experience and others, low risk people are not being confirmed and counted. Actually the problem with this bug is at the system level not really the individual level. It's not so much more deadly it merits this attention based on that, it's the spread rate overwhelming the system. The 'Fear' should be for the system and not most people specifically until the system is taxed.

In the US, the disparity between young and old is so great, the lockdown should have been age based, imho. And when we still have a wrecked economy and no more fear there will be criticism over the economy.

the lock downs are more about stopping the spread of the virus.. but the reality is, it's the kids getting most of the adults sick because kids are less likely to say anything about being sick or show symptoms from this virus yet still be a carrier of it. either way i'm fine with the lock downs, being able to drive home in less than 10 minutes because the roads are completely empty is nice ;)

Are they running Linux by chance? I ask because none of my 120 Linux cores got a single task while my windows boxes all have work pretty continuously.

There are plenty of WUs at Rosetta at home (CPU only project). You run this project through BOINC. Just that you can't pick what you want to run but I do receive COVIC-19 WUs quite regularly every day. This will keep your 96 cores busy ;)

1584921842430.png

For more COVID-19 DC project updates, please see here.

Actually I'm a little better now. Called my physician. He told me it's not sure it's the coronavirus, but it may be. I frankly don't see what it could be. I'ev done the flu vaccine and already had a cold that I'm not so used ot. He told me it doesn't look I am a sever case as long as I don't have problems with my lungs, but I need to stay away from my parents. So I'm not a patient to hospitalise. So I do. I put the temperature in my room at 27°C. So I'm good now. I'm still fluctating a little above my normal temperature and well bellow after sweating. Headeach is gone for now. I'm still sweating a lot from time to time and when I'm getting a bad feeling in my throat (like twice a day) or I'm getting too much mucus in my nose, I'm using as muhc as possible Sterimar spray "Blocked nose" which is ocean water with overdose of salt and with copper. I'm also spraying it a bit in my mouth at my throat because of the copper. Not sure how much eating copper is safe. And I'm extensively mouthwashing with Eludril which is based on some cloride formula (it's for teeth but should be good for the throat). Not sure but chlorine is killing viruses so... The result is that one hour later, I don't feel anything in my throat and my nose is not runny anymore. Not taking any ibuprofen, Aspirin or paracetamol as my physician told me. Taking Equinacea pills (3x 400mg per day) and drinking green tea. I'm not very stable on my feet.
Clearly this not like a flu and very much like very weird cold or something like that.

1. Please don't buy into those kinds of treatments. The treatments only work under specific conditions and do not help for the most part. If you are looking to use something, stick with EMA approved stuff, and use vitamins in the recommended amount.
2. Tea helps primarily due to the fact that simply drinking warm/hot water soothes the throat. Some tea variants are known to have antioxidants.
3. The flu shot does not make you immune to the flu. It's a cocktail of weakened flu viruses that scientists think will be prevalent that year, but it is at best 70% effective or so.

the lock downs are more about stopping the spread of the virus.. but the reality is, it's the kids getting most of the adults sick because kids are less likely to say anything about being sick or show symptoms from this virus yet still be a carrier of it. either way i'm fine with the lock downs, being able to drive home in less than 10 minutes because the roads are completely empty is nice ;)

I don't think there is any stopping it at this point, but flattening the curve is important. I have done maybe 6 hours of work this past week, thankfully I am still paid in full. Far better off than a lot of people now out of jobs.

And we have a lock down by full family situation which makes sure everyone in the house gets it.

The lock downs are to slow the virus. People are in for a disappointment is they thought it was to stop the virus its to keep the number of severely ill down to a low level at any one time. In fact, the expectation is the lockdowns get us to May which we expect the spread to slow during summer for the same reasons the flu seems to slow during summer. Then we go back to work but schools is out and the old folks facilities stay closed and that gets us to September.
1584965818610.png

We're kind of hoping summer with this bug is no worse than Winter with Influenza.

The other hope is by end of summer that we have enough immunity in the population that the spread-rate starts to drop a lot.

The lock downs are to slow the virus. People are in for a disappointment is they thought it was to stop the virus its to keep the number of severely ill down to a low level at any one time.
Yes, it's a matter of the whole "needs of the many" situation, you either have a situation where the health care system can keep up with the patients that come in instead of being overwhelmed, but yeah the overall duration of said malady is longer, or you have a shorter duration, more people are sick at once, and more importantly the percentage of severe/critical cases is higher at any moment meaning people will go untreated and perhaps die from this.

So, would you rather be inconvenienced for some number of weeks, or end up saving money in the long run with the cost of caring for the elderly (since they're die more often than others).

I’m all for this, but the only thing is that I never hear about any findings or cures or real advancements from folding. Please name a good real world or meaningful accomplishment from folding.

I’m all for this, but the only thing is that I never hear about any findings or cures or real advancements from folding. Please name a good real world or meaningful accomplishment from folding.
There's easily 100 paper out there on discoveries, but for the lay person they aren't meaningful. Cancer hasn't been cured as a result, instead they found different ways to screen different samples for some drug or whatever, these don't really click for people as "accomplishment".

As an example, you want your new TV, if there's a new model for testing diodes, you probably don't care, because that new model ends up leading to eventual advancement of a OLED or something which you might get interested in but these couldn't have been done without that original model.

I don't think it's as simple as that, as the science behind the studies isn't either - ie it's not going to spit out cures or giant break-thrus in one instance.

I think it's more a supporting tool for researchers and the true benefits of distributed computing are probably lost on anyone outside the fields in which it's being used, and even then probably only specific people in those fields. I think of it along the line of the saying "The more you learn, the less you know." Harnessing that much computation power for solving complex problems is likely a virtual black hole into the new questions it raises, not to mention the shear amount of information it provides and the time it takes to absorb the vast amount information in a meaningful manner - which is a relatively new thing in itself. I'd also wager that as complex as the computations are that it's used for, the real-world "big picture" of a given study is exponentially more complex and still out of reach of current computational power as a whole - ie a lot of real world testing is still required.

“Summit was needed to rapidly get the simulation results we needed. It took us a day or two whereas it would have taken months on a normal computer,” Jeremy Smith, co-author of the research, said in a statement.

“Our results don’t mean that we have found a cure or treatment for the coronavirus. We are very hopeful, though, that our computational findings will both inform future studies and provide a framework that experimentalists will use to further investigate these compounds. Only then will we know whether any of them exhibit the characteristics needed to mitigate this virus.”

https://chemrxiv.org/articles/Repur...S_Protein_and_Human_ACE2_Interface/11871402/4

They need some bandwidth help. My computer sits idle half the time waiting for a work load.

They need some bandwidth help. My computer sits idle half the time waiting for a work load.

Yeah, they're getting overloaded. Linus Tech Tips is donating some of their server space and bandwidth (since they have a 10GB connection) to the project, but they will definitely need more than that.

I hate to say this, but because of this I'm not even trying. I figure that if I got some workloads, then I'd be taking away from someone who has some serious computing power, someone up there with 96 cores and no workload, well me not doing it means they're more likely to do it, what's my i5 and gtx970 going to do when someone like Linus has issues getting his dual Epyc Ryzen with 6 Titan Vs that has issues getting cores? "every bit possible" might actually make progress a bit harder.

Yeah, they're getting overloaded. Linus Tech Tips is donating some of their server space and bandwidth (since they have a 10GB connection) to the project, but they will definitely need more than that.
Yeah saw that video, gotta wonder though, FAH is run by Stanford, you're telling me Stanford doesn't just have oodles of bandwidth that dwarfs Linus? It can't be getting much use right now either considering the university is closed down

Yeah saw that video, gotta wonder though, FAH is run by Stanford, you're telling me Stanford doesn't just have oodles of bandwidth that dwarfs Linus? It can't be getting much use right now either considering the university is closed down

Even with a lot of bandwidth there is still a limit to it, especially if people are doing massive systems.

I hate to say this, but because of this I'm not even trying. I figure that if I got some workloads, then I'd be taking away from someone who has some serious computing power, someone up there with 96 cores and no workload, well me not doing it means they're more likely to do it, what's my i5 and gtx970 going to do when someone like Linus has issues getting his dual Epyc Ryzen with 6 Titan Vs that has issues getting cores? "every bit possible" might actually make progress a bit harder.
Switched over to Rosetta@boinc cpu project. Been chugging away for days.

Switched over to Rosetta@boinc cpu project. Been chugging away for days.
Good idea.
Today, I got lots of COVID-19 tasks from Rosetta (CPU only) in case the FAH tasks are not freely available or hard to come by. Keep those rigs busy!

So far I'm not aware of any big players sucking up all the Rosetta COVID-19 tasks or any other Rosetta tasks.

Also credit awarded that I got seems to increase by at least 50% to 100% for COVID-19 tasks.

1585259838999.png

this kinda bothers me
the chinese government did say they apparently "sanitized" the whole market, people and animals after the outbreak

this kinda bothers me
the chinese government did say they apparently "sanitized" the whole market, people and animals after the outbreak
I don't care what they eat. All the worlds flu's/respitory illnesses originate in China. They need to figure out what they are doing wrong and fix their shit.

I don't care what they eat. All the worlds flu's/respitory illnesses originate in China. They need to figure out what they are doing wrong and fix their shit.

Incorrect. The swine flu likely started in North America. No one really knows where the Spanish Flu started. MERS started in the Middle East (hence its name). The bird flu was first discovered in Italy. There are other illnesses that effect the respiratory system that do not originate in China either.

When I was looking earlier to double check, China was one of three likely places it started but with no information on patient zero or how it got from one place to another it’s basically impossible to get an accurate answer.
I know the original influenza started in that area, which is why I didn’t mention it.

Back